Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

How to get it in on the river, $1/3

Fletch23 Posts: 115Subscriber
Hey guys, Back after a hiatus from poker. I just played a live session for the first time in a while and think I could have played this band differently.

Villain is new to the table but seems to be aggro. I have about $230. He has me covered. Playing 1/3.

Hero has Ad6d in the BB. Villain in MP makes it $15. One call. I call. (Maybe a little loose of a call.)

Pot $45. Flop 622. Checked around.

Turn 6. I check. Villain bets $30. Fold. I raise to $75. Villain calls.

Pot is now $195 and I have about $140 left in my stack.

River is an A.

I just shipped it because it seemed like the obvious thing to do with my stack size and after a CR on the turn. However, in retrospect I think maybe I could have gone for another CR. His line has a lot of AK, AQ kinda hands in it. If I push it’s obvious I’m not afraid of the A so it sort of telegraphs I have a 2 or 6 (also I’m in the blind). However, if I check then it looks maybe like I bluffed the turn or even that I have something like 77-99 and now I fear he caught me.

Do I have a better chance of getting him to bet after my check than to call after my shove? Or maybe I should have bet but not a shove?

Comments

• LatvianMissile Posts: 118Subscriber
    I think if you check, it goes check-check. I don't think an A is calling when you c/r the turn unless it's AA and I think AK or AQ would check back with showdown value. You're targeting a 6... something like 76 or 56. So I think jam is a good play. I'm not sure how often AK is calling a c/r on a 6226 board when you have a bunch of 6s and 2s in your range closing the action preflop in the BB. Any overpair he has is folding anyway, but I think jam is the correct play to target the 6s.
  • Fletch23 Posts: 115Subscriber
    I can’t believe he’s got a 6. He’d have probably bet the flop and then gotten it all in in the turn. I also find it hard to believe he’d check the flop with any pair AA-77, so I guess I’m trying to figure out how to get him to put chips in with Ax. Maybe there just isn’t a way.
    by 1CycleV
  • jojacks Posts: 86Subscriber
    As played, there probably isn't a way to get it in with Ax. Would you really x/r a double-paired board on the turn without a full house?
  • PiggyPiggy Posts: 156Subscriber
    Just jam. There should be no way for villain to get to the river as played unless he has exactly A2.
  • Fletch23 Posts: 115Subscriber
    I jammed the river and he tanked and folded, showing me an A. Just wondering if I could have gotten any money out of him. Maybe if I’d made a smaller bet that looks weak?
  • LatvianMissile Posts: 118Subscriber
    edited June 26
    Fletch23 said:
    I jammed the river and he tanked and folded, showing me an A. Just wondering if I could have gotten any money out of him. Maybe if I’d made a smaller bet that looks weak?
    If you bet really small, then yes. Say like $25, maybe as high as 40. But, how often is he turning over a 6? Because we're leaving ~100 behind when he does have a 6 v an A. So if AQ and AK are in his range and 76 and 65, we have 16 combos of AK/AQ and 8 combos of a 6. So 2:1. Now we don't know the max that he'll call, but if he calls 40 with an A, then we leave 100 behind when he has a 6 and only gain 80 total. If we jam, we lose 80 when he folds, but gain 100 (net of 20) when he calls.

It's not exactly precise since it's just a guess, but this is how the river should be looked at. If he never has a 6 here like you say, then a very small bet of 40 is the way to go... and he still may fold to that, but it's still more profitable if he never has a 6. If he does have a 6 then a jam is the way to go.