Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$10k Main event line check

BartBart Posts: 5,828AdministratorLeadPro
edited July 6 in Tournament Discussion
My Day 1 at the Main yesterday was pretty uneventful. Not the best table draw and an even worse seat at the table. The one fun hand is below and I think turn and river is kind of interesting.

300/600 level 5.. 50k effective Hero has K T opens to 1400 LJ and BB, nitty Asian 50s to 60 year old defends HU.

FLOP: A K T

X, H2000, call.

TURN: 8 BB leads 3k hero calls.

RIVER: 5 BB bets 3500, Hero raises to 8200...

Thoughts on turn and river play?

Comments

• unomaas Posts: 9Subscriber
    I like the call on the turn, this probably makes him think AXs is good on the river... thin value raise
  • Latrell1515 Posts: 235Subscriber
    The lead on the turn almost looks like a small blocker type bet wanting to see river a tad cheaper..NOT saying scared of monsters under the bed but A 5 gets there or even could have turned 88's? Personally not a fan of the raise in tournament with a 'NITTY' player betting into us on the river 'looks like a pure "wanting to get something from my hand' Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he flopped a set on the flop..Please reveal later..thx
  • wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
    I like the raise and sizing.. although you're only getting called by aq maybe. Personally in the main since you're only getting called by this one hand I might just call.
  • LessIsMore Posts: 19Subscriber
    I'd like your estimate on how many combos he's bluffing here... If he's only bluffing one or two combos, not sure you have the equity to raise (according to PokerCruncher). Of course, those are estimates. In any event, I still think it's too close to raise. Not to mention that a nit double barreling into the PF aggressor on turn/riv usually isn't a good sign. He may just be a bad player that's block betting, though... If you have a hunch that's what that is, a raise is in good order.
  • alecspade Posts: 68Subscriber
    edited July 7
    I don't know about this one man, seems wayyyyy to thin. Turn is fine, which is why I think we should just be calling the river. We have the worst two pair really possible here, the only worse hand I could conceive him calling with is As-Qs/As-Js and even that is a stretch. Cash game, ok I suppose, but in the ME I think I just call here as I think we're really only going to get called by better (seems like As-8s).
  • CraftBeerWizard Posts: 37Subscriber
    Why not raise the turn instead of the river?
    This allows more hands we beat to call us. (Ax spades, KQ hearts) I think river raise is too thin, only targeting one pair Ax hands.

• Superfly Posts: 219Subscriber
    edited July 7
    Strange. He might have a set of tens, but you partially block that.

I think AK bets the flop, but sometimes super nits slow play these because they are so used to people folding whenever they show strength. Sometimes they also want to make sure the flush doesn’t hit the turn before taking the initiative.

AT probably does not lead turn fearing that PFR might have AK, but maybe ATss does.

AQss or AJss might also lead turn small as a kind of probe/blocker bet, then continue with small bet on river thinking their A is good when you just flat the turn.

But we’re getting into all kinds of hypotheticals here and he might not even call a raise on the river with top pair. If you’re right about him being a nit, I would just call river. He’s showing lots of strength.
  • fishcake Posts: 951Subscriber
    Why are you opening this preflop if the table isn’t good? KTo is garbage.

I think river is too thin against a nit. This is the main event, too. So many people are playing scared money.
  • MisterWolfMisterWolf Posts: 12Subscriber
    The river raise seems like a -EV play: the Villain would only call with a better hand. It's possible Villain may be block-betting the river with AQ and may call thinking you missed a flush draw, but I think he would have 3-bet AQ pre-flop. If Villain re-raises the river, I'm guessing you fold?
  • Jack7777 Posts: 655Subscriber
    It was dicey play, but worse may call for 8K. He would have raised the river more with better. It looks like AXss, missed.
  • Xboblove Posts: 120Member
    Too thin for me. The only value hands we beat are AQ and AJ. The blockers make AX 2 pr less possible but villain could have defended with QJ from the BB this early, slow played a set or 2 pr. Given the age and race of villian, I call down and even consider folding.
  • Latrell1515 Posts: 235Subscriber
    Can we get a reveal?