Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5 Aces Versus Known Opponents Line Check

ds2uared Posts: 263Subscriber
edited July 9 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Villain 1 is solid tight pro. 3bets appropriately and sizes appropriately in every aspect of his game.
Villain 2 is rec. reg. winning tight player. He respects my game and stays out of my way most of the time. Last orbit he called from the SB and announced, "I have a good hand, you know?" which I acknowledged I knew he did. He ended up having AQ. He will bluff when the opportunities are there.

Utg limps. V1 (covers) raises to $25 utg+1. V2 ($900) calls from MP. Hero ($1,200) raises to $105 in SB with A A. V1 takes some time and calls. V2 calls quickly

($320) Flop J 9 3. Hero checks? V1 checks. V2 checks.

($320) Turn 9. Hero bets $140. V1 folds. V2 calls.

($600) River 2. Hero considers for about 30 seconds and bets $400.

Thoughts on all streets welcomed
Tagged:

Comments

• Garland Posts: 215Subscriber
    Pre-flop being OOP and so deep, I would prefer at least $130 and maybe up to $150.

Flop: Why in the world are you being cute and checking this flop? Just bet. I'd go $150-$175. Were you planning to x-raise or x-call? You don't have A, so you unblock tons of flush draws. Just bet and be ready to call off.

Turn: As played, ok, finally start to get some value from your hand.

River: This is my favorite street of the ones you played. Represent you have a missed AK, and try to level him to make a light call. I calculate V2 has 655 left and would probably just over-bet all in.
  • ds2uared Posts: 263Subscriber
    Edited the turn, @Garland
    edited July 9
    ds2uared said:
    Edited the turn, @Garland
    Doesn't really change my thought process for betting 8 --> 9. Just makes me more comfortable I have the best hand.
    @Garland Do you ever take passive lines with Aces on draw heavy boards OOP multiway? I'm never folding. But if I don't have a nut overpair, what am I balancing my AK with? Is that a dumbass question?
    edited July 9
    ds2uared said:
    @Garland Do you ever take passive lines with Aces on draw heavy boards OOP multiway? I'm never folding. But if I don't have a nut overpair, what am I balancing my AK with? Is that a dumbass question?
    I prefer something like the worst overpair, QQ or A J. Your play with AA is a deviation I would consider for example if you know villain will bet 100% when checked to.

In general just start to get your stack in piece by piece. Get called by KK or QQ.

But if we're going to check back, am I wrong in wanting to check back a hand that is immune to overs coming on the turn and river and which opens up more draws for villains to bluff with?
    ds2uared said:
    But if we're going to check back, am I wrong in wanting to check back a hand that is immune to overs coming on the turn and river and which opens up more draws for villains to bluff with?
    First, you’re a far cry from checking back as you’re not in position. You have more of a case to check the flop in position (not that I really would do so, but it’s somewhat better than OOP).

Secondly, I’m not about to give infinite odds to KQ/QT, 2 clubs, TT or small pocket pairs. There are already draws and hands to pay you off, KK, QQ, Jx. that may start to pay you off, but not necessarily bet.

If you’re going to embark on a line that flies in the face of standard play, you should really explain to yourself as you play (and then to us as you post) why you’re doing what you’re doing. Please explain the roadmap for your hand and what actions you plan to make across various turn cards. Otherwise I’m just labeling this as FPS.
  • CycleV Posts: 963Subscriber
    Garland said:
    Flop: Why in the world are you being cute and checking this flop? Just bet. I'd go $150-$175. Were you planning to x-raise or x-call? You don't have A, so you unblock tons of flush draws. Just bet and be ready to call off.
    This is pretty much the story right here.

Thinking in general terms, when MW bet your value hands. When OOP bet your value hands. Save tricky plays for HU and IP.

If the board is draw-heavy, again you should be betting value hands more. There's a difference between drawy boards and boards where there are many more made hands. JT9 through 987 would be awful boards for you, and could merit a check. So many better hands you could be up against. But J9x in a 3! pot, there's really only 6 sets (overcaller could have bottom set but likely only a partial), against 12 KK/QQ, one AJs, 4 realistic BW FD (AK, AQ, KQ, AT), and between 0-4 QTs. Every single one of those hands will call a bet.

If you want to construct a range, I'm cbetting all OP, and AK with Ac. If you like, occasionally AKo with Kc. AQs I'd just cbet the AQcc. I'd also cbet JJ, it hardly changes his above range an inch. This would give us 19 OP+ hands for value, and between 5-9 semibluffs.

For the infrequent times you want some OP in your checking range, AA is much better choice than QQ for that. I'm not certain about the 'with or without Ac' partials, but again, OOP I'm not even bothering with this. KISS.
  • Superfly Posts: 219Subscriber
    edited July 10
    Agree with the 3 reasons to bet flop here: OOP, multi-way, board wet with draws but not made hands that beats us.
  • hustlin Posts: 289Subscriber
    have to bet this flop for sure. get value from worse and protect your equity in this hand. This board is quite wet with two cards above 9 and a flush draws, with gutters.

As played turn and river look fine!
  • StreetFighterStreetFighter Posts: 150Subscriber
    Board is not really wet.

J and 9 block a lot of their utg 1 opening range and defend SC combos.

Heros range never turns 2 pair or a straight, only sets and 2 combos of nut flush. We have partial sets of JJ here.

I don't think check is terrible here, but less inclined to do so without the Ac and multiways.

1/3 c bet seems good and hope no one makes you miserable on the 21 cards that arent bricks on the turn and 3.5 spr on the flop.