Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2 / $5 - overpair on double-flush draw board.

CraftBeerWizard Posts: 38Subscriber
edited July 9 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
2/5 $700 effective

No read on V, first time playing with him, hasn't showdown any hands, called a few raises and folded post-flop.

Hero UTG with A A

Hero opens to $15, V calls in MP, Btn, SB, BB calls.

($75) - Flop - Q 5 6

xx, H bets $60, V calls, everyone else folds.

($195) - J - H checks, V bets $120

($435) - 2 - Hero?

Questions - Is the turn here a value-bet spot with AA or is check/call fine here? I unblock all Ax suited FDs here, but QJ was one of the value hands I was targeting with my flop bet and is in Vs calling range.

River - I think this is a clear check/call spot, but maybe I'm wrong? I don't think a thin-value bet is good here. I could target KQs and AJs, but I'm not sure what other hands would call me. check-calling protects my checking range and I might induce a bluff from a FD that bricked out.

Cheers!

Comments

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,001Subscriber
    Open seems small. What's the standard for this game?

Flop is good. I like the larger sizing unblocking top pair and the NFD.

What is your rationale for check/calling the turn? Villain called next to act on the flop, and is going to be heavily weighted to Qx and flush draws. You're only really afraid of QJ, and I think you can probably bet/fold your AA since you have the Ad. (If you didn't have Ad, it would probably need to be a bet/call if we think he's structuring bluffs correctly.)

As played, once you check/call the turn, nothing you can do but check/call the river. You took a value-own line. Keep value-owning.
  • CraftBeerWizard Posts: 38Subscriber
    edited July 9
    dpbuck said:
    Open seems small. What's the standard for this game?
    3 or 4x was normal. I bumped it up to 4x later in the night. I opened AJs in MP to and QQ UTG to 4x and I just picked up the blinds. So I went from getting no action on my hands to going 5 ways to a flop, lol.
    dpbuck said:
    Flop is good. I like the larger sizing unblocking top pair and the NFD. What is your rationale for check/calling the turn?
    Several reasons, I didn't have much info on V so I played a little less aggressively, probably should stop doing that, yea? I also thought with 4 players calling the flop there's a lot of QJ type of hands that can call me. Lastly, I didn't want to get raised off my hand if V decided to go frisky with a hand like KQ or AJ or even worse, getting raised off my hand by a naked FD.

Am I just overthinking the hand here in terms of what can beat me and not looking at the V's entire range?

CraftBeerWizard said:

Several reasons, I didn't have much info on V so I played a little less aggressively, probably should stop doing that, yea? I also thought with 4 players calling the flop there's a lot of QJ type of hands that can call me. Lastly, I didn't want to get raised off my hand if V decided to go frisky with a hand like KQ or AJ or even worse, getting raised off my hand by a naked FD.

Am I just overthinking the hand here in terms of what can beat me and not looking at the V's entire range?
    AsJs and KdQd are just two combos. And since you have the Ad, there just aren't many other diamond FD combos he could have. Remember, villain called next to act before the flop. There are far more combos of Qx and spade FDs that villain will just call a valuebet with.

This is why you can likely bet/fold this turn. You just aren't going to get raised by worse very often.
  • CraftBeerWizard Posts: 38Subscriber
    edited July 9
    Thanks again for the input, DPbuck.

After speaking to a poker buddy of mine that knows how I play, he openly laughed at me when I said I checked the turn here.

His words, "You bet an overpair last week on a 1-liner board in a smaller game and you are afraid of a jack on the turn here now??" So I need more practice at $2/$5 to get comfortable with the game.

Spoiler:
    I did check the river and the villain checked behind and rolls over AJ of spades. Definitely missed a street of value and gave V the potential for a free card if he checked behind (like he should've)

Back to studying and grinding!
    by 1CycleV
  • CycleV Posts: 964Subscriber
    CraftBeerWizard said:
    So I need more practice at $2/$5 to get comfortable with the game.
    Good for you for acknowledging this. Things that are so basic for us a one level, they take time to become basic at another level. The mental game takes longer to master than the math parts of poker.