Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Choose Your Value Bet: Part 6 Thin Value Flush Board & Overcard

Garland Posts: 215Subscriber
Stakes: $3/$5, $1000 max

Newish to game. Maybe half hour into play.

Effective Stack $500

Pre-flop ($8 - 9 players) - Loose passive UTG limps, UTG+1 (unknown) limps, I CO !30 w/ A T, only limpers call.

Flop ($98 - 3 players) - T 5 3. xx $55 only UTG+1 calls.

Turn ($208 - 2 players) - 7 xx (?)

River ($208 - 2 players) - K x, I ??

Similar to Part 5, pre-flop and flop are fairly standard. Turn and river are debatable.

Comments

• alecspade Posts: 68Subscriber
    Can't see him checking anything that beats us except if he floated with Kh-xx. He can have some tens here as played and can't bet when the K comes out as this hits your turn check back range and he's hoping to get to showdown. I'd probably go for something around 1/3 pot to get a crying call from all his tens.
  • NR Posts: 2Subscriber
    edited July 11
    As played, river bet sure, I probably go towards the smaller side that a worse ten can call, in the $60-$80 range.

Granted, i'm normally a limit player coming back to NL after a looong layoff, but why no turn bet? I think i'd rather put that money in on the turn. He can definitely have a worse ten (w/ or w/o a heart) that will call you. So i'd prefer your line up to the turn, then a bet of around 100, and if he calls evaluate river action and decide. If you face heavy turn action I think you can pretty safely fold.
  • PiggyPiggy Posts: 134Subscriber
    I would normally overlimp ATo if 2+ people have already limped in. If we have specific information that villains are limp-calling hands we dominate like A9o, A8o, KTo, T8o, then by all means raise. I just feel that ATo ends up not being a great barreling hand postflop. In addition, if the table is limp-happy, all it takes is one of BTN/SB/BB calling and then both limpers are “priced in” to call.

I like the flop cbet but I might bet-fold the turn. I’m thinking bet/bet/check might be a better line. The 7h brings in the FD and 64, but there are plenty of Tx hands that will continue to call the turn.
  • jojacks Posts: 58Subscriber
    I agree with Piggy about bet-folding the turn. Plenty of hands you can still get value from, plus you can get a lot of hands to fold that can't be certain of how much equity they have. Getting a naked to fold is worth a minimum of $40 in equity.
    by 1CycleV
  • CycleV Posts: 963Subscriber
    Agree with most everything above. He has more Tx than FD; I can give him about 5 Axhh and a couple more heart draws. He likely has at least that many TP hands, as well as stuff like a PP such as 88 or 66 that picked up a SD to maybe go with a FD.

River I'd check both as played and if we bet and he calls the turn.

If it was the loose passive guy that called the flop, then you can give him more hands like AK-AJhh that should have raised pre but didn't. I took those out of the unknown's range.
  • MattM Posts: 38Subscriber
    If the player is REALLY bad I don't mind going for some value. This just seems like you cant get called by worse. Imagine that you had a bluff, you could bet so small to get a ten to fold.
  • Superfly Posts: 219Subscriber
    If you’re going to bet the turn for value / protection, I think you need to bet at least 50-60% pot. There are lots of combo draws and a small (say 1/3 PSB) gives even pairs plus a broadway heart close to the right odds to call.

Because the board is wet and favors the callers range, I think I prefer checking turn, then making small thin value bet with the intention to fold to a large raise after V checks river. But as always you’ve found a close spot where I waffle back and forth on the best line to take. @kilee, would appreciate your input here, if you have time.