Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

WSOP $1/$2/$5 PLO, OOP multiway cbet spot

Chase Posts: 113Subscriber
This hand was played a few weeks ago at WSOP, 9 handed, $1/$2 - $5 BTN straddle (mandatory)
$315 effective stacks.
I start the action in the SB with A K 9 K
I limp,
BB folds, UTG folds, EP raises to $20 (younger guy, no reads yet),
CO flats, BTN (seems like a rec player) flats,
H 3b! $100, EP calls, CO and BTN call.

(Flop - 4 players - $405): A K 2
H cbets $90, EP fold, CO calls, BTN calls,

(Turn - 3 players - $675): A K 2 6
H all in $125...

- The preflop play seems fairly straightforward in this situation. Do you like the limp-reraise in this situation? This line is best in this situation with what range? AA (that aren't bad AA), good KK, strong broadway rundowns, smooth & double suited middling rundowns?

- Is c-betting here much better than checking? Or is the SPR so low and our equity so good that it's higher EV to check to induce?
- Flop sizing? A small bet seems better than all-in, but how small?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Garland Posts: 265Subscriber
    Caveat: I'm a PLO newbie.

Pre-flop: I don't mind a raise upfront or the limp re-raise. Both seem fine.

Flop: Once you get to the flop, I get what you're trying to do with the advantage you have piecemealing your stack. But what calls $95 that doesn't call $215? Ax? Everyone should be wary of AAxx or KKxx. I'm targeting wraps like QJTx and 345x, sets, 2 pair which should probably call $215 anyways. I absolutely do not like checking and giving 3 people infinite odds to a straight. I probably don't get cute with it and move in, but willing to listen to other opinions.
    by 1CycleV
  • CycleV Posts: 995Subscriber
    You should ship every flop, no need (almost ever) to get fancy.

IDK about pre, I can't speak to that with any authority. But imo these don't qualify as good kings. The 9 is a dangler, so you're basically playing a 3 card hand. (Yeah it gives you a soot but it doesn't allow for anything else.)
  • Garland Posts: 265Subscriber
    CycleV said:

IDK about pre, I can't speak to that with any authority. But imo these don't qualify as good kings. The 9 is a dangler, so you're basically playing a 3 card hand. (Yeah it gives you a soot but it doesn't allow for anything else.)
    With the limp-reraise and short stacks looks like we can set up an SPR of 1 with just one caller on the strength of AKK alone. Seems reasonable to get a caller or two and commit on most any flop.
  • TerpHimselfTerpHimself Posts: 291Subscriber
    I much prefer a open raise out of the SB pre as these games go multiway when there are limpers no matter what kind of raise you make pre, as you see in your example. Committing $20 means committing $100 to most players. Now you're stuck in a spot where you have to ship most flops first to act and the remaining 2-4 players can play perfectly against your very obvious overpair range. If you're comfortable check folding terrible flops for you, that is probably the correct play; but you're increasing your variance vs raising and keeping your range a little more open and the pot size more manageable.

This flop is pretty dry b/c it tilts itself entirely to your perceived range of AAxx or KKxx. So a check will see this flop get checked through very very often. And as pointed out, you only have $215 remaining with a pot of $405, so any draw that will call a bet will certainly call a half-pot sized one. All you're doing by betting $90 is giving the hands that can beat you the best possible price to do so. It's a shove in this spot. Taking the pot down is a win b/c it represents a double up for your original stack. The worst case scenario is for a small bet to get called early on, and then the button or a late postion player also decides to come along with backdoors (like diamonds) that come in on the turn and now you're fading a straight draw and a flush draw heading to the river instead of likely being heads up with zero bluffing equity left b/c you have an SPR of .185 in your remaining stack.

In terms of overall strategy, you're playing with about 60 BB's to begin with. A raising/bloat the pot preflop strategy should be focused on being able to get All In on the flop heads up vs an opponent, which you can do. But limp re-raising out of the SB here isn't a great spot unless you have strong AAxx and are ready to go with it on almost every flop. Otherwise I'd employ this strategy with the hand ranges you listed (minus the medium suited rundowns) when deeper, and up against players who make large calling mistakes on the flop and turn with dominated hands. And I would do this 150 BBs or deeper to maximize your wins and be able to put realistic pressure on Villains when you semi bluff the flop.

As you can see with your current example your only choice is to bet for value and hang on. You have no bluffing equity given the pot size on the flop.

by 1CycleV
  • Chase Posts: 113Subscriber
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

So with BTN straddle on, at my ~60BB stack depth, from the SB should I just open-raise every hand I'm playing and not limp? And open something like top 10% of hands?
    Terp, it seem like you're saying the limp-reraise strat in this spot is ok with 150BB or more but with 60BB I should probably be playing raise-or-fold. Is that correct?
    TerpHimself said:
    ...as these games go multiway when there are limpers no matter what kind of raise you make pre, as you see in your example. Committing $20 means committing $100 to most players.
    That seems very consistent with what I've experienced playing the $5 games in Vegas these past few weeks.