Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

To Bluff or Bluff Catch?

LatvianMissile Posts: 166Subscriber
edited July 20 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/3 350 eff V covers H... V is a reg that plays mostly Omaha but is still a NLHE good player. H UTG with 7 7 limps, V in MP to 15, Bu, SB and H call.
Pot: 63 Flop A 6 5. checks to V in MP who C-Bets 35, Bu and SB fold. H calls.
Pot: 133 Turn 5. XX
River: Q

Should we lead out and try to get him off 88-JJ or should we check here and bluff catch or even c/f?

Comments

• CycleV Posts: 1,144Subscriber
    If you were V, "a good NLHE player", would you cbet a mid PP into 3 players on an ace high board? I'd take almost all PP combos out of his range. I'd think weak aces (AT and below) or air makes up a huge portion of his range. Every now and then he lucked into the river w QJ or some such nonsense, but I'd bluff catch depending on the size of his river bet, and simply whether I was feeling sticky. (meaning I'm not sure there's too much EV in it either way.)
  • GarlandGarland Posts: 391Subscriber
    edited July 20
    1st in raise pre with 77. As played fold flop. Good players should not be betting unimproved pockets into 3 other players with A on flop. He is likely pot controlling a less than premium A. You block a great deal of straight draws with your holding alone.
  • deadinaditchdeadinaditch Posts: 234Subscriber
    edited July 21
    CycleV said:
    If you were V, "a good NLHE player", would you cbet a mid PP into 3 players on an ace high board? I'd take almost all PP combos out of his range.
    Yes. Whenever the flop smack you're raising range a C-Bet is rarely a bad play to make and disconnected Ace high and King high flops are exactly the kind texture you're looking for. Exceptions are when you're way oop and yes, this is 4 ways, making a c-bet borderline but V since is only OOP to the button I think I might make this play too. If you get called then shut it down, which is exactly what V did.
    LatvianMissile said:

Should we lead out and try to get him off 88-JJ or should we check here and bluff catch or even c/f?
    If he has hands like 88-JJ he's unlikely to turn them into a bluff. You're flop call looks a lot like a weak Ace so why would he think you'd fold on a Queen River.

I like the bet. It's a rainbow flop making flush draws unlikely, maybe you have some sort of str8 draw, but he has to be scared of the Ace. Make a biggish bet ($75-$80) and he should fold anything other than an Ace or a Queen.
    Garland said:
    1st in raise pre with 77. As played fold flop. Good players should not be betting unimproved pockets into 3 other players with A on flop. He is likely pot controlling a less than premium A. You block a great deal of straight draws with your holding alone.
    Agreed on the PFR. If you're willing to call a raise then you should usually just open yourself. It makes it so much easier to rep big hands post flop and disguises your hand nicely when you actually do flop big. Think about how this hand might have gone down if OP had opened for a raise.

I disagree on the advice to just fold the flop. V could be raising with a lot of non Ace hands and if he's any good a all he will C-bet most Ace high flops, especially when OP did not himself open for a raise. This is a mandatory float with a good shot at taking it away on the river if V checks back the turn.