Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Flop bottom set in limped pot...but raised on river

Garland Posts: 261Subscriber
edited August 12 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Stakes: $3/$5, $1000 max

Fairly loose average aggression game. Main villain is UTG youngish African American. Not much is known about him except his has about $2000 in front of him, so it appears he's winning.

Effective Stack $800

Pre-flop ($8 - 9 players) - There are 4 limpers in the field including UTG, I am in SB with 3 3 and complete, BB checks.

Flop ($30 - 6 players) - 3 4 7 xx, UTG bets $15, 2 field callers, I raise to $60, only UTG calls.

Turn ($180 - 2 players) - J . Bet $95, UTG thinks for about 30 seconds and calls.

River ($370 - 2 players) - K. Bet $140, UTG tanks for about a minute and moves in for my last $500, I ???

Comments

• barry20calvin81 Posts: 30Subscriber
    His play makes little sense, so you gotta call. Not many guys who lead out in 5 ppl then wait until check raise on river to push their flopped sets/straights for big value. I mean, I suppose the one hand that makes sense for that river bet would be if he was trying to limp raise KK and it didn't work out for him, but that's pretty rare as well.
  • PokerShaman Posts: 65Subscriber
    Agree with @barry20calvin81 - nothing makes sense. Villain is playing K7 like this? Under the gun?? Ma-a-a-aybe the villain has 44 or 77, in which case pay the man his money.
  • alecspade Posts: 69Subscriber
    I can see a flopped straight playing this way. He bets the flop and gets raised which gets it heads up and he's in position. And as we know most recs slowplay their big hands no matter the action for fear of scaring off the opponent. Jh on the turn is just a fantastic card, no backdoor flush, just nothing to really fear. While we should expect him to go ahead and raise the turn a high percent of the time with a better hand, I can still buy him slowplaying. Once he shoves the river I think we beat nothing here. This really smells like a monster that has been trapping the whole way.
    by 1Jonesey
    edited August 12
    For him to have a straight here, he would have to bet out into 5 ppl on the flop (not slow playing), and then shift gears to slow playing for four actions in a row (call on the flop, check on the turn, call on the turn, check on the river). I mean, it is possible, but you can't give up a set assuming that unlikely sequence of events. The more I think about it, the more the KK failed limp raise makes some sense (since that would make sense of all actions except for the river check, and even that can be explained due to his surprise), but still too unlikely to justify a fold.
  • Garland Posts: 261Subscriber
    barry20calvin81 said:
    For him to have a straight here, he would have to bet out into 5 ppl on the flop (not slow playing), and then shift gears to slow playing for four actions in a row (call on the flop, check on the turn, call on the turn, check on the river). I mean, it is possible, but you can't give up a set assuming that unlikely sequence of events. The more I think about it, the more the KK failed limp raise makes some sense (since that would make sense of all actions except for the river check, and even that can be explained due to his surprise), but still too unlikely to justify a fold.
    There is no checking on the river as he was in position.
    You are right. My bad.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,373Subscriber
    #1 bet more OTT
    #2 as played you are repping incredible strength and there is a made board. 65 is in his UTG limping range. Players at this level simple don't bluff shove the river when the board doesnt change. Means he has had it from the flop.

So now do the work. What combos call a XR OTF, wait and call the turn, then shove the river.

K7 - No there is a made hand on the flop
    J7 - No same reason as K7, also he delayed his thought OTT and if he really had 2 pair he is pretty much snap calling.
    The other 2 sets - Maybe. (6 combos)
    65 - 100% (16 combos)
    KK - limped maybe (3 combos)

Bluffs
    76s, 54s, 86s - (10 combos) and I'd weigh these down a fair bit.

So if we value everyone at 100% we are looking at 26 vs 10.
    You big problem is your betting. Is he raising as a bluff vs the weak bet? Or does he think you are weak because you bet small OTT and OTR and slowplayed the nuts?
    by 1CycleV
  • Superfly Posts: 249Subscriber
    edited August 13
    Awesome, I’ve been waiting impatiently for another @garland interesting HH post.

This just doesn’t seem like a bluff line at all to me. You raise the flop and lead turn and river, and V decides to ship it in a desperation bluff on the very end? If he has anything less than a set, I would guess he’s terrible and over-played his hand rather than tried to bluff.

You’re getting 2:1 and need to be right 1 out of 3 times to break even. There was a time when I would have made a crying call thinking my hand was too strong to fold. These days I think there’s no way average V does this with just 2P and I fold.
  • JoneseyJonesey Posts: 65Subscriber
    edited August 18
    barry20calvin81 said:
    For him to have a straight here, he would have to bet out into 5 ppl on the flop (not slow playing), and then shift gears to slow playing for four actions in a row (call on the flop, check on the turn, call on the turn, check on the river). I mean, it is possible, but you can't give up a set assuming that unlikely sequence of events.
    This line makes sense to me with a flopped straight because by the time V calls he’s gone from 5 way action to heads up and feels good about being against top pair/over pairs, so V switches from wanting to drive out to your typical rec player slow play mode. Slow play mode is so overused but makes the most sense here. I can’t find a hand H beats that a rec player has here unless the rec has a big river bluff up his sleeve, and that’s pretty rare. He’s hoping you have a set and will call him. I’m w superfly on this one. Results?