Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

10/10 Parx AJs in SB vs BTN open

ChaosInEquilibrium Posts: 23SubscriberProfessional
edited September 10 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
BTN is a young well-dressed white guy. One of the more active 3betters at the table. No showdowns, so I can't tell if he's getting out of line.
BB is a white man in his late 60s, drinking a diet coke.
I sat down an hour ago, so no reads on either player. First time playing at Parx, so I don't really have any reads on the player pool tendencies either. This is an early afternoon game.
$2k effective.
BTN opens to $40, Hero looks A J and feels this is a partial 3b/c. Then BB calls out of turn. Should this make us more inclined to 3bet? Anyway, hero ends up flatting because he feels his hand will play well in a multiway pot.

Flop: J 9 7 ($120)
Checks around.

Turn: 3
Hero bets $60, BB raises to $260, Hero calls.

River: A ($640)
Hero checks, V bets $400, Hero?

Comments

• GarlandGarland Posts: 315Subscriber
    edited September 10
    I think AJs is an auto 3-bet from SB in this configuration (~$140). This is only further enforced when you say button is an active bettor, and especially when BB gave off a call tell out of turn. You really want to knock BB out and maybe take it down pre.

I would actually entertain leading the river (~$300) and try to get a crying call from a worse hand, because many inferior hands including 2 pair would check-back. I would bet with the intention of folding to a raise.

As played, this kind of sucks because he's representing at least AJ. I might try to talk to him to get a sense of what he's doing. Maybe he'll say what he has, maybe he gives off a tell or maybe he'll show you a card...never know. At the end of the day, I don't really find a fold, but I don't feel good about this spot. You have to hope he might have a hand like Q T or K T. Someone can convince me otherwise.
  • ChaosInEquilibrium Posts: 23SubscriberProfessional
    Thanks for that comment. I agree that river is a prime spot for a bet/fold. Wish I'd thought of that in game.

I remember reading in SB 3b charts that AJs is a partial 3b or call against a BTN open. I don't know if that's still the current thinking.
    I am still confused about the effect of the BBs call out of turn in the hand. AJs can dominate a lot of suited hands that either BB or BTN may fold to a 3b. Wouldn't that incentivize us to just call?
    edited September 10
    ChaosInEquilibrium said:
    Thanks for that comment. I agree that river is a prime spot for a bet/fold. Wish I'd thought of that in game.

I remember reading in SB 3b charts that AJs is a partial 3b or call against a BTN open. I don't know if that's still the current thinking.
    I am still confused about the effect of the BBs call out of turn in the hand. AJs can dominate a lot of suited hands that either BB or BTN may fold to a 3b. Wouldn't that incentivize us to just call?
    I'm not really a chart guy as I'm not really trying to conform my play to someone else's standard, and I like to keep my options open and fluid as the game evolves. That said, the present day thinking would actually have you 3-bet suited strong hands and flatting the same unsuited hands as the suited variety has more play-ability. The old school thought was the reverse as it was thought suited hands play better multi-way. Me personally? I'm 3-betting all AJ in this configuration for value.
  • rbenuck4 Posts: 11Subscriber
    No one thinks he ever does this with a worse two pair? I actually think you are beating some of his value range, and therefore this is a fist-pump call.BB is calling behind you for the original raise.
    by 1CycleV
    rbenuck4 said:
    No one thinks he ever does this with a worse two pair? I actually think you are beating some of his value range, and therefore this is a fist-pump call.BB is calling behind you for the original raise.
    This is exactly the reason I cannot find a fold. Fist-pump is a little ambitious however, because many villains are not value betting J9/97/J7 especially when an A hits the river.
  • Superfly Posts: 321Subscriber
    edited September 11
    Ki’s SB vs LP open continuation chart does show AJs as 50/50 bet/call. But Garland makes a good point about being incentivized to 3B vs loose BTN and BB who capped his range by calling out of turn.

If you put AJs vs BTN opening range in an equity calculator, Hero has over 60% equity. If you add a third player with BB calling range, Hero’s equity drops to 40%. I believe this shows the benefit of getting it to heads up.
    by 1CycleV
  • CycleV Posts: 1,027Subscriber
    ChaosInEquilibrium said:

I sat down an hour ago, so no reads on either player.
    Honestly, your problem starts here.
  • ChaosInEquilibrium Posts: 23SubscriberProfessional
    edited September 11
    Okay thanks. 3b is probably better in a vacuum against a loose BTN. I have definitely 3b in this spot before with hands like AT or KQ, but I just figured this would be a decent spot to mix some strong hands in my calling range. But as you said, the best response is to exploit BTNs loose tendencies by 3bing a wider range of strong hands for value. I suppose I might call if I knew that the BB was a whale. I think?

I later found out that BB was an OMC. If this hand had occured later in the session I would have found a fold on the river. Here I ended up calling, though not feeling great about it, and was shown T8s
  • BartBart Posts: 5,921AdministratorLeadPro
    edited September 11
    Its really hard to lay this down in game, but you are going to get shown down here 8T or a set a ton. There is not way that BB is betting anything worse than AJ for this sizing, imo. I'm not saying I would lay it down, but if you call you are not going to be shown a worse value hand then your own. Bart