Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Turn overbet at 2/5

2/5 NL 490ish eff with V

V (Rec player) make it 20 from UTG1, we 75 from MP with 10d10c and only V calls

Flop 150: 8c9cJh
x, 50, c
Turn 250: 6h
x, we overbet jam 365.

Overall line check and is turn sizing ok??

Comments

• BartBart Posts: 5,959AdministratorLeadPro
    This is interesting with about a pot and a half size bet left. I am assuming in theory that your opponent is supposed to call with a J+ so I'm not sure if the over bet here is the play with no stack depth left. If you had more money behind a case could be made to over bet the turn with so many draws out there and check back on unimproved rivers. Of course you block the primary draw here having two tens in your hand. On the flip side your opponent isnt supposed to be defending with that many tens to a three bet with the exception of the suited ones. Bart
  • PokerShaman Posts: 86Subscriber
    edited September 20
    Why are we betting so small on such a wet flop?
    by 1CycleV
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,860Subscriber
    Yea this isn't the flop to bet small on unless we got the nuts here or block all his nut draws like AJcc

As played with small bet. I'd almost rather x back turn and try to bluff catch river or fold or check back.
  • Pancho Posts: 4Subscriber
    edited September 21
    In general I'm not 3betting 1010 vs UTG or UTG1 range but can get behind it to iso a certain player. If I were to do this I'd just make it 3x and then fold to a 4bet, don't think you need to make it 75 here.
    As played I'd check back the turn 100% with 1010 and bet with stronger hands in range such as 99/JJ/QQ/QJs/KK etc. Don't like you turning your hand into a bluff here with the overbet jam, I think he folds any flush draws he has (don't think he has many) and just calls with better hands. If you check back turn I'd be bluff catching on the river but not thrilled about it.
    by 1CycleV
  • ds2uared Posts: 393Subscriber
    Pre: $60 or call, depending on the villain and dynamics.
    Flop: $100-$115 as played. If instead you made it $60 and the pot was $120, bet $80-$90.
    Turn: As played, see other people's opinions because I actually kind of like it versus some rec. players.
  • Superfly Posts: 391Subscriber
    edited September 21
    My gut says you’re not deep enough for this to be an effective bluff in general, but part of me thinks it’s an interesting aggressive exploit vs the right villain .

We lose to sets, all of which are in his range.

If we assume V doesn’t have AA or KK, then your overbet needs to be able to get QQ and some TPs off their hand. For the TPs I am giving V some suited connectors and suited broadways with a J. You would need to feel confident that V could have these hands in his UTG1 preflop bet-call range and that he folds them to the overbet.

From Vs perspective I would be confused. I would expect you to bet more on the flop if you had an overpair. So I’d probably put you on a big draw or pair+draw, or maybe a set that got a little nervous about the wetness of the board and decided to make any draws pay the max to see the river. I think I’m freq calling with many of the hands we put the V on above, but again it would depend on your table image.
  • StreetFighterStreetFighter Posts: 173Subscriber
    pre: Given stack depth I go to 60 if they open wide or the players behind are active.,, lean more towards flatting with a passive table behind.

flop: I don't see the value in betting the marginal part of our range here. If we get check jammed on we're getting close to 3:1, but we have the T so it's just a sigh fold. If you are setting up to ship the turn, bet slightly larger on the flop as your turn jam is a cheaper bluff/makes more when the fold...being that 3/4+ pot to 1.5x probably gets the same results.

Turn: This just looks like a spazz. I guess because they didn't raise on the flop we could think that we are ahead with TT but I'd just want to bet smaller and actually get called by all the hands we beat. You could still jam river if you think they're hanging on with AJ or KJ and you want to go for it.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,447Subscriber
    You can do the same semi bluff for less. Only a small part of his range is the draw. His range is big overpairs.
  • Capped_Rec13 Posts: 31Subscriber
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

On flop i honestly don't know what will be the best size we can go with our specific hand. This player-type will never going to fold a J/over-pair (highly doubt if he had any)/a flush draw here so there is no significant different in betting 50 or 100-125 imo. Once V check called the flop it is pretty clear he never has a set here as they will always consider range/small bet as a weakness. So i thought this will be a good spot to jam the turn with an over-bet. In general i would love to do this with AA/KK but thought that let's go with 10s. Actually 200-250ish on the turn might work as this will give us cheaper price on our bluffs.

• Capped_Rec13 Posts: 31Subscriber
    Spoiler:
    Results: I jammed on the turn and V tanked for like 30 seconds and called with AcQc, spiked a Q on river and lost against our straight.