Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5 - Odd Spot w/ AQo

JredA Posts: 71Subscriber
I found myself in an odd spot w/ AQo and wanted to get some thoughts. This comes from a recent $2/$5 game.

V1 is a early 30's European and probably a tourist. He speaks broken english and has been very aggressive so far. He seems to be a solid LAG. I have not seen him show down a hand yet, but he has x/r the river in a big pot (x/r the river in local game is rare). He has also seen me 3b J9s against V2 pre-flop and take a nice pot when I turned 2 pair. I have seen him 3b a few times, but have not seen showdowns.

V2 is late 20's early 30's is also a tourist from Fla and is super aggro. He is drinking and have a good time and is borderline maniacal. He has played 75%+ of hands since he sat down and has been caught bluffing twice on the river when faced with any passivity. I 3b him w/ J9s from the CO when he opened from EP and scooped a nice pot w/ 2 pair when he tried to blow me off on the river. His goal appears to be to win as much money as possible in the least amount of time.

There is an EP limp from a weak passive player. I make it $25 from UTG2 w/ an $1100 stack and AQo.

V1 makes it $80 from the CO off $1300.

V2 tank calls from the SB off $450.

I decide to call being this deep against the initial 3-better and wanting to be in as many pots as possible w/ the SB. I contemplated both 4-betting and folding but decided on the call.

Any thoughts on 4b, call or fold here?

Flop ($240) = Q 7 5r

V2 ch. I ch. V1 $140. V2 tank Jams for $370.

Hero?
Tagged:

Comments

• ds2uared Posts: 433Subscriber
    My 4! game isn't quite top-notch, but I'll give it a go.

I like a 4bet here for a few reasons:

- There's ~$160 in the pot now, good enough to take down
    - You're utg, so you can represent a LOT of strength and it's bolstered by your blockers
    - You describe V1 as a thinking player, meaning you should really only get played back at here by QQ+, AK, and can safely fold to a 5bet shove from V1. A thinking V1 is going to assume an EP/MP 4bet is super strong
    - V1 will be squeezed (only a bit) between you and V2, but will have position on you both after the flop

You will have to play some 4bet pots OOP if he calls, but your hand still has value versus some hands in his calling range.

Make it $292.74.

As played, let's give V2 every 2-pair, every set, every top pair. But let's also give him every straight draw, weak pair, and what the f*ck ever and say we want to get it in against his range.

But this is a rainbow flop and V1 behind might jam over the top of you, which sucks, but by then you are beat. This is a call-fold to a jam shitty, shitty situation.
  • Superfly Posts: 429Subscriber
    I think AQs would be a good 4b opportunity but probably just calling with AQo. Seems like a bit of an overplay vs a 3b and cold call from SB. But I like @ds2uared rationale, so don’t hate it either.

On the flop, I’d call SB shove. Since he just called pre it’s unlikely he has an overpair. KQ/QJ seems very possible.

I like a flat call on the flop because we want CO to come along on this bone dry board. If CO just over calls, we should be way ahead of whatever he has. As the preflop 3better, he should be drawing pretty thin.

If CO shoves, it’s costing us our remaining $650 to win $1770, so not loving it but probably calling off. We block AA and still have 20% equity vs KK. We can’t fold, right??

• kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 431Subscriber
    I think a 4! in this spot w/ AQo is a bit light.
    With the description given, especially for V2, I like the call PF.

I like a call otf. Hopfully V1 flats. If he jams, I think we are getting pretty close to even money to call his 3! jam range if we give him QQ+ and half the remaining AQ. Really sucks, but I think it's a call.

If he flats, I'd feel much better about our hand.
  • CycleV Posts: 1,141Subscriber
    I know this isn't the hand you were asking about, but you 3! a guy who doesn't have a fold button with J9s?
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,408Subscriber
    Seems like you have an incentive to 4b/fold AQo. You have relevant blockers, It can be construed that V1 is overly aggressive which means he can be 3b light, and you have position on the sb, which is the player you want to isolate.

Your 4b sizing doesn’t need to be large, only big enough to begin threatening stacks. $215 - $225.

Tough spot on the flop with no clear cut answer, but a call is probably warranted.
  • JredA Posts: 71Subscriber
    edited October 15
    CycleV said:
    I know this isn't the hand you were asking about, but you 3! a guy who doesn't have a fold button with J9s?
    At the time of the 3!, I had observed villain opening a ton and playing a ton of hands but not fighting back to aggression. So I thought this had a chance to work pre, and if not I had position and a workable stack post flop.

Looking back at it, and after playing more with villain and the time of this posted hand, I probably should have just played a more linear 3! range in this spot as villain was not giving up on pots easily. But this was not known at the time of the 3!

• CycleV Posts: 1,141Subscriber
    That makes more sense, though J9s still seems a bit light. Like you said, we go linear, we can simply turn most of the partials into 75-80% 3! and still have a good range.
    @JredA, reveal?
  • JredA Posts: 71Subscriber
    edited October 22
    I tanked for some time before folding (which after reading the responses may have been too nitty).

Spoiler:
    V1 snapped w/ AQo. V2 turned over T8o (lol)
    Lol, V2 is a keeper. Do whatever’s necessary to keep him in the game. Drinks. Food. Massage.
  • BeauMoore Posts: 15Subscriber
    edited October 27
    I really dont like a 4b here. There's not a good sizing and AQo isn't doing well in a 4b pot OOP. I think we'll be 4betting way too much. Save it for in postion or at least AQs. It could be fine, it's live and you have a maniac you want to iso. I just think its fundamentally not good.

Im probably folding flop. V1 could be pretty strong here. He also bet 140 in 240 on as dry of a board as you can get. I'd much rather call here if a FD was on board or even some good straight draws out there.

Being really nitty but I just think all the conditions are wrong to 4b/call flop. We'll have better opportunities in similar spots.