Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Spaz Raise ?

jeffreyneuman Posts: 19Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
First hand played last night threw me a little bit off off balance , wasn't really sure if there was a better line to take and feel like I might of just had a spaz moment . Anyway here is the hand and my decisions , all thoughts are welcome . I have just arrived at The Chuck ( Charles Town ) there are two 5/10 games going , the main game & the second game which has only 5 players . It\'s a great game , know four of the players and their games well , there is one unknown , I have no reads on him . They have a mandatory straddle going , I buy in for 200BB which is the cap , sit down and put my 20$ straddle out . All of the players have me covered . UTG a tight asian weekend regular limps , folds to SB the unknown player who raises to 140$ , this strikes me as unusually large sizing & my initial thought is this guy is stealing and doesn\'t want any callers , thats all well & good till I look at my hand and see pocket tens , Ok this hand is way to strong to fold to a potential steal raise so whats my best play ? Raise or Call ? My first instinct is to raise , think the best sizing would be to about 425 , but that fells like I would bloating the pot and could be playing for stacks real fast so I choose the more conservative option of just calling the 140 , UTG folds , pot 310$ . Expect Villains range is most likely big Aces & pairs 44+ , that would be consistent with what I have experienced based on this pre flop bet sizing . Have also seen some players make this large raise with AA & KK if they are afraid to be cracked , have no information other than he seems outwardly confident based on his banter with the other players so my snap judgement is he would more likely want to get more value from those big pairs . Flop J , 9 , 7 rainbow, about as good a flop as I could hope for , Villain C bets 275$ , at this point I have no idea how aggressive Villain is , what his barreling frequency is , and if continues barreling I could end up calling off 200BB with a medium strength holding on the first hand of the night , this is not a appealing thought but at this point with limited information I have trouble folding 2nd pair with a gut shot to a random unknown player in a bloated straddled pot . Strongly consider floating , keeps the pot small , evaluate turn etc. but if this opponent is as aggressive as I suspect there are a lot of cards he can barrel that I am not going to like so here is where I choose to use the Raise Fold or maybe Spaz ? My thinking is I would like to take the pot down here , protect my hand if it\'s currently the best . If the raise doesn\'t work immediately there is a good chance of freezing him & getting to see the next two cars for free . I raise , call the 275 plus 525 more on top . So , decent raise or total Spaz ?

Comments

• eselspiel Posts: 115Subscriber
    I have a really hard time figuring out what your read on this guy is.

At differet points you say

he's stealing and doesn't want callers
    he's confident
    You put him on a Range of big Aces and 44+
    I have no idea how agressive Villian is
    if this opponent is as agressive as I think he is

Here is how I would play against an unknown, which is really what it seems you got here.

PF: call your hand is too big to fold, but you have a player yet to act behind you who has already shown some interest. If Limper calls, you'll have the worst relative position so want to keep the pot small. IF Limper raises, you'll be in tough spot after investing more than you really had to. If he folds great, you have position on the Villain.

Flop. I would call/float. You may have the best hand, but you're either way ahead or way behind. You have blockers to most straight draws. Let your position work for you and see what he does on the turn.
  • YoungGrinder Posts: 210Subscriber
    eselspiel said

I have a really hard time figuring out what your read on this guy is.

At differet points you say

he's stealing and doesn't want callers
    he's confident
    You put him on a Range of big Aces and 44+
    I have no idea how agressive Villian is
    if this opponent is as agressive as I think he is

Here is how I would play against an unknown, which is really what it seems you got here.

PF: call your hand is too big to fold, but you have a player yet to act behind you who has already shown some interest. If Limper calls, you'll have the worst relative position so want to keep the pot small. IF Limper raises, you'll be in tough spot after investing more than you really had to. If he folds great, you have position on the Villain.

Flop. I would call/float. You may have the best hand, but you're either way ahead or way behind. You have blockers to most straight draws. Let your position work for you and see what he does on the turn.
    I would agree with this line as well.
    You do seem to have some odd claims about the villain that are contradictory. (Please create paragraphs next time when you post)

If he bombs turn and you brick out, I'd find a fold.
    Better spots will come as session wheres on (especially if you have reads on all the other players).
  • When the pot gets bloated in straddled or 3 bet pots the double barrel bluffing frequency of your opponents becomes almost non existent. I call the flop and see what what he does on the turn. If the turn brings a brick and he checks I would seriously consider checking back as again, many times when the pot is overly bloated, players will take cautious lines here with KK or QQ and you valueown yourself far too much. He is also very unlikely to call you with worse if you bet the turn.

Bart
  • jeffreyneuman Posts: 19Member
    The hand as played just didn't feel right and I appreciate the feedback , the comments really help me see & understand my mistakes . Thanks ......
  • eselspiel Posts: 115Subscriber
    jeffreyneuman said

The hand as played just didn't feel right and I appreciate the feedback , the comments really help me see & understand my mistakes . Thanks ......
    I think we assume we always need to be aggressive, and for the most part that's true. However, a call can be a legitimate choice too.