Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

4Bet pot lost after down betting Flp

This was a interesting hand. Villan in BB is a LAG who 3bet me in a previous hand with A6ss and won vs a shorter stack.

Hero is in CO with A4dd. 1.1k eff. Villan cover

A♦4♦CO. Hero raise 20, BTN call, BB 3bet 80, Hero 4bet 220, BB call. Flop 460. K♣4♣8♦,BB check, Hero bet 155, BB call. Turn 770, 7♠. ,check,check. River 8h 770 check,check.

What should my line be on the Flp, Trn & Riv?
Tagged:

Comments

• kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 431Subscriber
    otf, I like the bet and sizing. We have the initiative and block AK. We likely need to improve to win. I'd rather bet with our approx 24% equity.

Def a check back ott.

V's river check cuts out a lot of Kx hands. His hand looks like a lot of TT-QQ. The only way to win here is to bet. We can rep AA, KK, AK easily. Sizing should be 2/3 to full psb. Some players will see the bigger bet as polarized and may call light.

I think I would bet 525 otr.
  • lotto33 Posts: 33Subscriber
    Preflop is fine
    Flop is fine
    Turn, I like a bet of 425ish if you want to continue bluffing,nothing wrong with giving up. Villains range looks like QQ-10 and a turn bet would put him in a tough spot.

Checking the turn to bet the river doesn't sense. What hands are you representing that you 4 bet pre with that you bet /check /bet with on that board?
  • CycleV Posts: 1,141Subscriber
    Turn depends, river always checking after the turn check, take your small sdv
  • Steveo76 Posts: 53Subscriber
    I like your down bet on the flop if you are going to follow it up with a meaty one on the turn. Otherwise, what is it accomplishing? By betting say $500 on the turn you will likely get everything worse than top pair to fold, which would be a great result. This bet needs to work only 35% of the time ($500 to win $770).

As played, after checking the turn I don't think a river bet makes any sense.

Where did the commitment go in this hand? I love the strong 4-bet pre flop. But this contrasts markedly with the play post.
    by 1crux
  • ds2uared Posts: 433Subscriber
    Just spitballing because we just had a party and got some alcohol drinks, but what about a flop check and turn 3/4 bet?

If he bets the river, fold. If he checks the river, jam the river.
  • Capped_Rec13 Posts: 39Subscriber
    If we are giving up on unimproved turn no need to bet on river now.
    Also just don’t go with preflop war against someone just because they are 3-betting light unless they are just reckless.
    You picked up a good hand to 4 bet and played it really well all the way to river considering your backdoor equities.
    by 1CycleV
  • StreetFighterStreetFighter Posts: 177Subscriber
    Op, you got 3! Light once and now you are ready to 4b! A4s and let it rip?

If this puts you in a wtf spot 1st thing to do is tighten up. 2nd is to decide if they ever fold to a 4!

Can you just print off this guy when you have AK here?

As played, jam turn. On flop, go slightly bigger so the turn is EZ near psb.

You have 21 combos of AA, KK, AK and probably 20ish of QQ, JJ, Bluffs.

For balancing in this super uncommon spot on Kxx (x is below a 9!) you probably can't find enough bluffs to overbluff betting flop and jamming turn.
  • Superfly Posts: 429Subscriber
    In his Fast Track series, Ki recommends switching to a more linear 4bet range when stacks are 200 bbs or more. So I think this could reasonably be a call, 3B or fold depending on player type (yours and Vs)

Because V 3bet and called your 4bet, not sure if you have a significant range advantage on the flop. If he didn’t hit the K, he likely has a decent pair or at worst some kind of juicy-looking SD or combo draw.

If you think that range looks reasonable, you probably can’t expect many folds to a small cbet. So if you’re going to downbet flop I think you need to plan on continuing to bet bigly on blank turns. If he has a K you may even need to triple barrel rivers.

If that’s not your cup of tea (too aggressive for me) the other option which may be better vs a 2-5 LAG is to bet 50-60% pot on flop, then give up unless river increases your equity.

But I do think if you’re going to 4bet A4s vs a LAG pre, you need to cbet with a high freq with both value and bluffs on the flop for it to be EV+
  • fishcake Posts: 990Subscriber
    IMO 4bet in this spot is more standard than anything given villain description but not enough people do it. If hes really good and is aware you are capable then he should probably be jamming AK preflop. In that case I think going for it on the turn is pretty good. You at least have some outs if he has like a KQs type hand, too.
  • FriendlyFish Posts: 116Member
    I like the way you played the hand.
  • ThepokerproneurThepokerproneur Posts: 106Subscriber
    I appreciate all the feedback. We ended up chopping he had As4s.
  • Superfly Posts: 429Subscriber
    Wow, this V is a keeper! I get using suited wheel aces as bets and raises in the bluff component of our range. But just calling a 4bet with A4s seems terrible, right?