Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live Poker Video No. 417: 5/10/25 in Jacksonville

Craig Posts: 726Administrator
Rob takes a look at 3bet sizing, turning SDV hands into bluffs, as well as dealing with aggressive, action opponents.

Episode posts at 11 AM PST.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/videos/5-10-25-in-jacksonville
Tagged:

Comments

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,046Subscriber
    @robfarha, last hand - MP opens, AK 3bets from BB, MP calls. K22r, small bet, call. Turn 8dd...

You indicate you like to bet turn and triple the river with the majority of your range. What is your sizing on turn and river here? Any deviations for value with AK, or as a bluff with QJ? I typically go small all three streets because of MPs weak relative range, but am interested in your thoughts on sizing.
    by 1PBJTIME
  • PBJTIME Posts: 339Subscriber
    Another excellent video Rob. Thank you for explaining the “why”! Please continue to include these explainations.
  • CycleV Posts: 1,144Subscriber
    i agree, good video. I prefer fewer hands, more postflop analysis. Breezing through basic preflop decisions is best for most videos, ty for doing that.
  • DiegoPokerDiegoPoker Posts: 16Subscriber
    edited November 20
    @Rob I really like your analysis. It’s more advanced and very useful for the tougher games I play in Europe. Thanks and please continue to do videos like this.
  • RobFarha Posts: 188Pro
    dpbuck said:
    @robfarha, last hand - MP opens, AK 3bets from BB, MP calls. K22r, small bet, call. Turn 8dd...

You indicate you like to bet turn and triple the river with the majority of your range. What is your sizing on turn and river here? Any deviations for value with AK, or as a bluff with QJ? I typically go small all three streets because of MPs weak relative range, but am interested in your thoughts on sizing.
    This always depends on stack sizes. So in this hand I'm just going to say they are 2300 eff with a pot of 600 going into the flop.

On the flop I always decide right there if this is a two street hand or a three street hand, I'm not necessarily saying oh do I want two streets of value or three streets of value, I'm deciding how many times I want to bet with my range that includes bluffs etc.

This thinking will also prevent the ever so common spot where people find themselves on a river with like an awkward 1.5 SPR and they have a hand that clearly wants to valuebet but then if they bet 1/2p or 3/4p its like they basically went all in, but then if they overbet 1.5xp thats awkward and bad also. The way to prevent this is to decide OTF and then have your betsizing reflect this.

So ignoring board and holecards etc when you have 2300 left and a pot of 600 there are two routes to take.

Route 1(3 streets): 1/4p flop bet of 150, get called and now the pot is 900 going into the turn with 2150 left.
    we use a betsize of 400 on every turn we wish to bet and get called now pot is 1700 with 1750 left
    check or jam river

hh form to make it easier
    (600) OOP bets 150 IP calls
    (900)OOP bets 400 IP calls
    (1700) OOP jams or checks his remaining 1750

You can see its a reasonable all in size and you don't worry about making these awkward bets that are like 60% of your stack.

Route 2: Size up the flop with the plan to jam turn, or to check turn and if turn x/x then we jam river. Two streets of betting.

pot is 600 on the flop, we bet 500 and get called

pot is 1600 and we have 1800 remaining. 8bb overbet in this scenario but you can see the fundamental idea I'm getting at.

So which route do we take here? So this is clearly a board to be going the small small small route because it's so locked down and if villian overfolds at any of his 3 decisions points that yields a fantastic result for us. The reason we take route 1 here is because of the frequency at which villian is going to have pretty much total air and not be able to do anything about it on the flop. JTs, 89s, even small pairs that are towards the top of his defending range on this board are not great situations, that's why the small bet route is good. The flop bet takes advantage of our nutted advantage and the fact IP is going to have a tough time coming up with hands to defend.

So whats the turn sizing to use after cbetting 1/4p and why?

The same principles apply on the turn as they do on the flop, this is a board thats pretty unlikely to change on the turn, exceptions would be Ax or Kx only, so we continue with a small sizing. Lets assume the turn is not an A or K in which case our strategy would of course change.

The reasoning for the small sizing is to force villian to make mistakes. If villian only calls turn with strong Kx like KQ or AK + rare quads, then our bluffs will profit immediately on the turn (he is overfolding to the small sizing). If he calls with an appropriate range including some TTish hands and that stuff, you are going to bluff river with the combos that remove his (in theory) snap calls OTR like KQ which creates a headache for villian otr because he has less obvious calls (we remove them). This is why I favor using hands like AQ or QJ, downside of AQ for 3 here is that you occasionally will win against worse ace highs, I mentioned this in the video.

So to say it without the run around, if villian doesn't get to the turn with any weak floats, our quarter pot cbet prints, if villian doesn't get to the river with anything other than KQ/AK, our 40% turn bet prints, if villian doesn't have enough stuff preflop that even sees a flop then our preflop 3bet is great.

This is a good question because it basically outlines the entire purpose and strength of playing a well balanced strategy on all streets, it effectively doesn't matter which street our opponent inevitably screws up because unless he perfectly counters us we will be eventually making a bet to which he doesn't appropriately respond.

But in this specific spot with this specific board that is my understanding of "WHY" small small small is superior strategy to whatever other sizings you could have chosen.

@dpbuck

by 1dpbuck
  • RobFarha Posts: 188Pro
    edited November 21
    @diegopoker @cyclev @pbjtime

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Believe me I know going over the obvious preflop mistakes can be boring and I have tried to cut down on it for sure.

However I do always make my content with thinking about first time viewers in the back of my head. If I gloss over a glaringly obvious, horrible preflop mistake and someone is watching my content for the very first time, they may be wondering if I think that's something normal/decent to do.

So now I try to just point it out without rambling for five minutes, but sometimes I cant help myself. Luckily I talk fast.
  • Superfly Posts: 446Subscriber
    @robfarha, great stuff. I agree with others that focusing most time on post-flop is best, but like the way you still address the “why” on non-standard spots preflop. Esp interested in learning more about rules for when to 4-bet and what sizing to use.

But my main focus these days is flop decisions. This seems like the most critical street in NLHE and much more complex than preflop strategy. I have been going back through all your old videos to re-listen to your flop analysis and try to come up with an organized way to think through these spots. Please keep highlighting the different factors you consider when evaluating flops. This is really helpful. In fact, it might even be interesting to dedicate some graphics videos to the principles and ways of thinking about specific flop factors such as:

- configuration, position and number of players
    - flop texture and nut/range advantage
    - adjusting for player types and tendencies
    - shortcuts for constructing ranges in game*
    - stack sizes and bet sizing
    - using flop to set up or simplify turn/river decisions
    - Role of blockers / removal

* esp check call/raise ranges. I liked your discussion on checking back top-toppish hands when there’s an aggressive player behind. I started doing this against a hyper aggro kid in my 5-10-20 game. He had been 3 betting me (and others) mercilessly and continuing with aggression post. After I called him down a few times with surprisingly strong hands, he totally shut down. When I asked him what’s up, he said “I’m staying away from you.” Lol

Keep up the good work!

Chris