Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$1/2 Barrel river with busted draw?

crux Posts: 106Subscriber
$1/2
V1- Straddle w/ ~$500
Very LAG pre and post. Pretty much always defends his straddle, really likes any suited cards, and generally is probably seeing 60% of flops. Have played a fair amount of hours with him. Will bluff with air or very marginal hands.

V2- BTN covers.
Unknown save for the couple hours in this session. LAG, but less so than V1, and more passive post flop. Just won a monster pot after opening 78o from UTG1, so that sort of loose. Seems to play about any Ace and connected cards.

Hero in CO w/ ~$600
K J

Pre-flop. V1 straddle to $5
Fold to H $20, V1 call, V2 call

Flop ($63)
9 8 4
V1 chk, H $35, V2 short tank call, V1 quick call

Turn ($168)
chk around

River ($168)
V1 chk, H ?

I'm convinced at this point that V1 has nothing or I think he would have fired the river after the turn checked around. He'll fire bluffs in these spots with J high.
V2 looks like middling pair, FD or SD on the turn. If I'm giving him a lot of gappers, too, then potentially the 6 could have hit him with a straight.

What's your play on river after the turn checks around? If you are firing again, what sizing do you take?
Do you think continuing to barrel turn on such a dry turn card would have made sense? If you barrel turn, what's your sizing?
Tagged:

Comments

• LatvianMissile Posts: 260Subscriber
    Yeah, gonna have to fire here. I think a 9 would bet river so bet big enough that an 8 can't call.
    by 1crux
  • lotto33 Posts: 61Subscriber
    Checking the turn shows villians that you don't have anything so they're more likely to call you lighter. If You're going to bluff fire 3 barrels or check the flop then fire 2 barrels. Your current line doesn't make sense
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,457Subscriber
    Your line makes little sense. Give up on the river unless you want to bet rather large on the end.
  • Steveo76 Posts: 157Subscriber
    The villains in this hand appear to play wide ranges and sound kind of sticky so I prefer a check on the flop because I wouldn't fancy my chances of getting the folds. You can call any reasonable bet on most turns with decent equity IP. I don't think I'd attempt a delayed double barrel bluff though versus these villain types.

As played, once your flop bet gets called by both villains and the turn checks through, how does the 6s hit your perceived range on the river? You also have V2 yet to act behind you. I feel like you are getting looked up if you bet here. The bet-check-bet line arouses curiosity in my experience.
  • crux Posts: 106Subscriber
    lotto33 said:
    Checking the turn shows villians that you don't have anything so they're more likely to call you lighter. If You're going to bluff fire 3 barrels or check the flop then fire 2 barrels. Your current line doesn't make sense
    What sort of hands would you be betting flop and checking turn with?

I think the turn check makes sense with overpairs or top pair with no club, once both villains call a monotone flop and with someone left to act behind on turn. Not everyone is going to raise or check/raise on the flop if they had made a flush, but I would expect to see some action on turn from one V or the other if they had any sort of decent made hand.
    Steveo76 said:
    The villains in this hand appear to play wide ranges and sound kind of sticky so I prefer a check on the flop because I wouldn't fancy my chances of getting the folds. You can call any reasonable bet on most turns with decent equity IP. I don't think I'd attempt a delayed double barrel bluff though versus these villain types.

As played, once your flop bet gets called by both villains and the turn checks through, how does the 6s hit your perceived range on the river? You also have V2 yet to act behind you. I feel like you are getting looked up if you bet here. The bet-check-bet line arouses curiosity in my experience.
    I would say that V1 is definitely sticky up to the turn. He said at one point, "The best chance to win is to see all five cards." But, he will give up rivers if not making the initial aggressive action.

V2 is more unknown, but seems like a better player. I don't think I would have described him as "sticky," necessarily.

I think the 6s is essentially a brick for my range. I probably don't bet 75 on the flop unless it's specifically clubs; and, I'm not opening T7 very often.

Spoiler:
    I did think the 6 on the river could have helped V2, but not enough combos where I thought I should be too worried about it. Given the check through on turn, I thought it more likely he either had a busted flush draw as well or a weak pair. As mentioned, I was quite sure V1 had essentially nothing... maybe bottom pair on the flop.

I decided to bet $85.

V2 tanked for a minute or so, nearly mucked, but did call. V1 folds.
    V2 was good with T 8
    He said the bet felt like AQ or KQ to him. Said he would have folded if I bet $20 more, but who knows.