Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Paired flop with AA, twice

lotto33 Posts: 75Subscriber
edited January 22 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
2/5 venitian in Vegas

Table is super loose (high hand promotion going). I didn't realize till later on in the session but a 4x opening raise players at the table saw as a limp and always called. At the time had no read on villains.

Hand 1 hero is in mp with A A and raises to 20 (1k behind) . CO, Btn (main villain), Sb and Bb call. I cover everyone but the Btn who has around 2k

Flop 10 10 Q ($100)
Checks to me and i bet $60 , co folds, BTN calls, everyone else folds

Turn 4 ($220) I check, villian checks ( should I have bet here and how much?)

River 5 I check and villain bets $200, hero?

Hand 2

Utg, Co, Btn and sb limp, Hero is in BB and raises to 40 with A A , everyone folds but the BTN calls, we both have 1k eff

Flop j 3 j (95) Hero bets $50, villain (different from hand 1) quickly raises to $150 Hero?

Comments

• Steveo76 Posts: 159Subscriber
    In Hand 1, I prefer a bet on the turn. Something in the region of $100-$120 that is looking to get value from a queen or charge a draw like KJ.

After you check the turn and also the river, Villain puts out an almost pot sized bet which is a routine call IMO. I think you have somewhat underepped your hand which has emboldened Villain to put out this polorizing bet. I think he would often raise your flop bet with trips or, if not, definitely bet the turn. I'm not worried about him having a QQ for a full house because you most likely would have heard from this pre-flop and again he'd be looking to build the pot on the turn. Yeah, maybe he's somehow got pocket 4s or 5s but I think when you call you will be good more often than not. I expect him to have a busted draw here most of the time.

In Hand 2, when Villain raises your flop c-bet 3x I think your play is to call and evaluate the turn. Nothing more do there IMO.

I am curious if the way hand 1 went down somehow played a part in hand 2, which I'm assuming came up after?

• Daddyslap Posts: 110Subscriber
    I concur with @Steveo76 100% here. Should be a mandatory river call on hand #1. Even though this is 5 ways preflop, its hard to have a 10 here given the action. It will happen sometimes, but we are generally good here facing a big bet from a Q.

As for hand #2, I agree we are calling the raise here. V could be doing this with a number of hands including flush draws (generally with 1 or 2 over cards) and pairs like 44-88. Where this gets tricky is that we are out of position, so we need to have a plan for the turn before we make the call. If we are planning to c/f most turns, we can save the $100 on the flop and move on. But if we think our opponent is capable of raising this with a value range that doesn't include a J and/or a flush draw, then we need to call and reevaluate.
  • Superfly Posts: 590Subscriber
    I agree that river in H1 is a must call. Most Vs would bet turn with trips and/or bet smaller on river for thin value.

Turn is interesting. Board is relatively dry. My plan would be to check turn for pot control in what appears to be a way ahead, way behind situation. When checked through I would lean toward making 40% PSB for value on the river. However, checking river might be the right play against tough Vs who are capable of putting us in a tough spot with a large 3bet.
    by 1lotto33
  • Superfly Posts: 590Subscriber
    In H2 it’s a tough situation, but I agree you should call at least once. You unblock club FDs. You’re likely to face tough decisions on turn and river that come down to live reads and V type. Then again, maybe you’ll spike the Ac and take V to value town!
    by 1lotto33
  • lotto33 Posts: 75Subscriber
    Spoiler:
    Hand 1, I folded. I overheard the villain tell the guy next to him that he knew I didn't have a Q so i guess it was a bad fold
    Hand 2 I call, turn is 5 Villain bets 275 and i fold. Villain said he flopped a full house but he didn't show it
  • lotto33 Posts: 75Subscriber
    Steveo76 said:
    In Hand 1, I prefer a bet on the turn. Something in the region of $100-$120 that is looking to get value from a queen or charge a draw like KJ.

After you check the turn and also the river, Villain puts out an almost pot sized bet which is a routine call IMO. I think you have somewhat underepped your hand which has emboldened Villain to put out this polorizing bet. I think he would often raise your flop bet with trips or, if not, definitely bet the turn. I'm not worried about him having a QQ for a full house because you most likely would have heard from this pre-flop and again he'd be looking to build the pot on the turn. Yeah, maybe he's somehow got pocket 4s or 5s but I think when you call you will be good more often than not. I expect him to have a busted draw here most of the time.

In Hand 2, when Villain raises your flop c-bet 3x I think your play is to call and evaluate the turn. Nothing more do there IMO.

I am curious if the way hand 1 went down somehow played a part in hand 2, which I'm assuming came up after?

2 different villains in the hands. No one know what I had in both hands.
  • LatvianMissile Posts: 290Subscriber
    edited January 22
    Hand 1: I'd bet 100 on the turn and then value bet the river to target a Q. V will raise if you're beat. As played you have to call because you may have induced a bluff. Most V's will not check a T back on that turn... also I do not hate the turn check because you may fold out some JJ, 99, 88 that could call a river bet, but I still prefer a bet-bet line.

Hand 2: I think you have to call at least 1 street with AA. You don't have a better hand that doesn't contain a J and V could be raising with a club draw. I'd evaluate the turn and fold to a big bet, but call a small bet. If the V checks the turn I may value bet the river depending on what card comes out.