Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 NL AKo facing a Straddle 3 bet

ReyzorxXxReyzorxXx Posts: 6Subscriber
edited February 2 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
$1100 Effective Stacks 8 handed
Villian Young mid late twenties looked like Where's Waldo with the red stripped outfit. New player No reads
UTG Straddled $10
2 Limps
Hero Button A K raises to $50
UTG straddle raises to $215
Fold, Fold
Hero?

Comments

• Beatsme Posts: 602Subscriber
    I think I usually call here and take a flop. We are in position so we should be able to play pretty well.

Being his first hand does this generally make you think players tend to have it more? Or make you lean more towards they are full of it and are just making a move and/or trying to create an image? I play pretty much all home games so I'm not familiar with this dynamic.
  • deadinaditchdeadinaditch Posts: 245Subscriber
    edited February 2
    So we don't have a lot of info on Waldo but people love to defend their straddles. Ordinarily I think it's best not to get too carried away by AK but in this case you're on the button with a premium hand near the top of a very wide range. He might be defending with a ton of hands that AK crushes. I think you're letting him off the hook by not 4!ng. Make it ~$600 and shove the flop.
    deadinaditch said:
    So we don't have a lot of info on Waldo but people love to defend their straddles. Ordinarily I think it's best not to get too carried away by AK but in this case you're on the button with a premium hand near the top of a very wide range. He might be defending with a ton of hands that AK crushes. I think you're letting him off the hook by not 4!ng.
    But he is doing way more than just defending he chose to put in 205 more when he could have just put in 40 more... just saying. His "defending" range is way wider than his cold 3 betting range.
  • deadinaditchdeadinaditch Posts: 245Subscriber
    edited February 2
    So you think his 3! is more indicative of a big pair? Could be, but it could also be a hand that doesn't want to see a flop or it could also just be a resteal. True you dont have any real reads on villain but he's certainly no OMC.

We can debate about the size of the bet, but if this isn't a 4! at least some of the time tell me, what would be? AA-KK only? A better read on the villain? Both?
  • Superfly Posts: 590Subscriber
    edited February 2
    Generally AKo is a 4bet according to #KiLee’s charts (attached) and his Fast Track series. The configuration of LP open vs STR 3bet encourages this even more since blinds and STR are more likely to open up their 3bet range vs LP opens which are also wide. So ranges are wide and you’re at the top of yours.

What I am not sure about is how the stack size influences this decision. I think that since you are only 100bbs deep with the straddle, that points to more of a fast play strategy. But say you raise to $500. That leaves you with $600 and a pot of $1,000 on the flop. Would we ever fold? Is the best play to just shove pre? Why? Is it better to get stacks in, driving pot odds down to 1:1, but see 5 cards instead of 3? I could use some help understanding mathematically why a shove might be preferable from an odds perspective.
    Yeah not really sure about that one. I think taking AK here allin to to put max pressure on TT and JJ? And then as an exploit take AA and KK to 500 to "lure in" TT and JJ.