Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Odd line By Villain

JredA Posts: 100Subscriber
edited February 8 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
$2/5 Live Game. $500 Max Buy In.

Villain is a very solid regular who has shown the ability to get thin value on a few river spots so far in the session. Through discussion with him it is obvious he studies the game, takes it seriously and might be playing for a living.

I have been quiet this session and card dead. Otherwise I have a LAG image and have played with villain before a few times.

There is an UTG limp. Villain raises to $25 from the LJ off $750. I call on the BTN w/ QsJs and $800 behind. UTG calls as well.

UTG is a competent player who is a little on the tight side. He seems to limp often with marginal type holdings he wants to see a flop with.

Flop ($75) = Th 8s 4d

UTG ch. LJ $35. I call. UTG calls.

I thought about raising this flop, but decided to float with 2 overs, a gutter and a backdoor spade draw.

Turn ($180) = 7s

UTG ch. LJ ch. I bet $80 (poor sizing IMO, I should have went much larger as I would with J9s, 87s, T7s, sets, etc.)

UTG calls. LJ calls.

River ($420) = 3c

UTG ch. LJ bets $175.

I fold. UTG folds.

I contemplated long about jamming over his bet on the river. But I honestly had a hard time ranging villain here. On one hand it seems like some kind of blocker bet with a marginal hand that would fold to a big river raise. But not sure that's the case with 2 players left to act after the bet.

Thoughts? Specifically on villains range and if I should jam this river?
Tagged:

Comments

• LatvianMissile Posts: 290Subscriber
    I'd raise this flop a bunch especially if you're card dead. It's going to be tough to defend for the PFR.

As played, I think I'd just check the turn. It's going to be tough to get it through. UTG is going to have a bunch of Tx that won't fold the turn and you're going to have to have a 2 street bluff, that aborts if both players call.
  • joshofalltrades Posts: 134Subscriber
    It looks like an overpair to me. V recognizes on turn that board favors calling ranges and checks. When you bet small and UTG just calls, then checks river, now V thinks that his big pair is best and goes for thin value. If you think he'll fold 1 pair to a jam then I like the play.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,548Subscriber
    This can be a set or an overpair. TT and 88 are more likely (6 combos) the rest are overpairs. So if you want to bluff raise the river you need to build a single pair combo that can fold to a raise. I think if you bet $100 OTT you could bluff raise the river better.

So if you bet $100 by the river $180 of your money would be in the middle with $320 left. The pot would be $440. This would leave a good sized bet. I would actually NOT shove but bet around $300. This looks valuee and doesn't give the impression you are bluffing. It is the same bet you would make if you had a value hand and thought at best the raiser had an overpair.

As played..... $595 on the river with $340 left. If you shove he isn't folding for another $165