Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 what to do

VernonJones Posts: 179Subscriber
So I was playing at an action table last night with a number of good regs but also some regs that like to gamble a little more that you would normally see from a regular. I had around $800 chips and most of the table had me covered. I wanted to get quick feedback from anyone who would like to comment .

1. I folded AQ off suit twice fron UTG +1. My logic was when I raised to $35 I was getting 1-2 callers but at $25 I was normally getting 4 and I didn't want to be OOP with this hand when I was going to have a hard time winning the pot if I missed. I didn't wont to limp in and get raised and have to just call.
Unfortunately the flop smacked my hand both times so I was disappointed that didnt play it. I also folded AT suited in a $10 straddled hand from same position and woukd of won big pot wiyh the nut flush . Thoughts?

2. I don't play many hands from the blinds but 3 times I called a $25 raise so $20 more when 4 or 5 people already were in hand. I had 67 off, 78 suited and kq off. Were the pot odds enough to call on any of these?

3. A few times a made speculative calls to $ 25 raises on the button in multiway pots with 79 suited , 98 suited and 56 suited . I know in this game I have to hit to win but with my tight image if I flop a big draw a semi bluff bet or raise could take down the pot. Thoughts?

4. I was raising big $35 to $40 with all my big pairs QQ-AA from EP to get it heads up or at least 2-3 callers max. I balanced this after showing down one time by doing the same with AK and a couple pp until I showed one down. Thoughts?

5. Finally I 3 bet squeezed light aggressive raisers twice knowing that there was a fair chance that I still could get called with kq suited and 89 suited by at least one plater. Thoughts on that move?

Thanks

Comments

• TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    1. Results don't matter. Don't be result oriented.
    2. Here you're not looking for pot odds, you need implied odds. Did you have them?
    3. What's the question? If you're prepared to bluff sometimes these calls can be profitable.
    4. Did you use any other sizes?
    5. How would they play postflop after calling your 3bet? What was your plan for postflop?
  • ThatOtherJeremy Posts: 314Member
    1. A 5x raise from UTG is getting 4+ callers at 2/5? Wow, that is pretty active. Don't open yourself up to being exploited though. When all of these bozos are flatting ATC with little regard to position, you are raising for value. I normally wouldn't like $35 sizing at all because in a normal game it is going to force all of the range you beat to fold too often. But you need to find a size that works so if it's $30-$35 from UTG I would stick with that. Later position I would open to way less so that dominated hands will look us up. Yes it definitely sucks when you have to play AQ oop like 4 ways. But against 3 or less opponents you should be cbetting favorable board textures to balance the times you don't hit. Also against 4 players you should probably consider cbetting A/A+ flop textures sometimes. I think 4 is the cutoff though where this is going to be profitable. I wouldn't be too results oriented with the A10 hand. If your table is call happy but not that aggressive pre (seems that way) then you can probably profitably limp in spots like this some of the time.

2. You bleed money when you overcall with junk in the blinds just because you think you are laid good odds. You need to think about RIO with hands like KQo, and 67o is a 3b hand not a calling hand. Suited connectors are hands that have the best chance to "realize" their equity in these marginal overcall spots. The suitedness and connectedness often allows you to stay in the hand longer, giving you more opportunity to make a number of hands that you wouldn't be around for with offsuit/unconnected hands.

3. player dependent. We play the button wide to exploit the range of the PFR. if you cant do that against certain players because of a tight pre but stationey post image, then you shouldn't call.

4. Wow this game is playing really big...how big are the other stacks in comparison to your $800? you are talking about $100+ avg pot size to flop at 2/5...this is pretty abnormal. If that is the case, you have absolutely no need to concern yourself with being balanced. The rest of your opponents just aren't showing enough dimension to their game that they are ever going to be able to consistently incorporate such factors into their decision making process.

5. If they are raise/calling light, you shouldn't 3b light often as a bluff. What you should do is 3b for thin value with hands that normally wouldn't warrant such action. If these guys raise/call with broadway hands, you should try to iso raise them more with weaker hands that are still ahead of their range. Position is important though, as is the general passivity of the players to your left when you are in late position.

Overall you need to figure out the right combination of bet sizing and tactically sound 3b situations to attack/exploit your opponents poor preflop play
  • VernonJones Posts: 179Subscriber
    2. Yes I can win one bet on the flop is I hut big but probably won't win more unless someone also makes a big hand.

3. If your are only going to value bet/raise when you hit and sometimes semi bluff with big draws, should you even play them?

4. Yes but not from EP. I do raise this big with non premium pairs occasionally to be somewhat balanced

5. Depends on how many callers but c bet most flops and firing again on a lot of turns.

ockquote>TDF said

1. Results don't matter. Don't be result oriented.
    2. Here you're not looking for pot odds, you need implied odds. Did you have them?
    3. What's the question? If you're prepared to bluff sometimes these calls can be profitable.
    4. Did you use any other sizes?
    5. How would they play postflop after calling your 3bet? What was your plan for postflop?
    4. Stacks were big at this table. Al but 3 players out of 10 had me covered. This was a much more active table than normal.

5. Going to start a topic on 3 betting. Love to hear what you have to say.

1. A 5x raise from UTG is getting 4+ callers at 2/5? Wow, that is pretty active. Don't open yourself up to being exploited though. When all of these bozos are flatting ATC with little regard to position, you are raising for value. I normally wouldn't like $35 sizing at all because in a normal game it is going to force all of the range you beat to fold too often. But you need to find a size that works so if it's $30-$35 from UTG I would stick with that. Later position I would open to way less so that dominated hands will look us up. Yes it definitely sucks when you have to play AQ oop like 4 ways. But against 3 or less opponents you should be cbetting favorable board textures to balance the times you don't hit. Also against 4 players you should probably consider cbetting A/A+ flop textures sometimes. I think 4 is the cutoff though where this is going to be profitable. I wouldn't be too results oriented with the A10 hand. If your table is call happy but not that aggressive pre (seems that way) then you can probably profitably limp in spots like this some of the time.

2. You bleed money when you overcall with junk in the blinds just because you think you are laid good odds. You need to think about RIO with hands like KQo, and 67o is a 3b hand not a calling hand. Suited connectors are hands that have the best chance to "realize" their equity in these marginal overcall spots. The suitedness and connectedness often allows you to stay in the hand longer, giving you more opportunity to make a number of hands that you wouldn't be around for with offsuit/unconnected hands.

3. player dependent. We play the button wide to exploit the range of the PFR. if you cant do that against certain players because of a tight pre but stationey post image, then you shouldn't call.

4. Wow this game is playing really big...how big are the other stacks in comparison to your $800? you are talking about $100+ avg pot size to flop at 2/5...this is pretty abnormal. If that is the case, you have absolutely no need to concern yourself with being balanced. The rest of your opponents just aren't showing enough dimension to their game that they are ever going to be able to consistently incorporate such factors into their decision making process.

5. If they are raise/calling light, you shouldn't 3b light often as a bluff. What you should do is 3b for thin value with hands that normally wouldn't warrant such action. If these guys raise/call with broadway hands, you should try to iso raise them more with weaker hands that are still ahead of their range. Position is important though, as is the general passivity of the players to your left when you are in late position.

Overall you need to figure out the right combination of bet sizing and tactically sound 3b situations to attack/exploit your opponents poor preflop play
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    Open-Folding AQo UTG+1 twice at an "action table" is criminal. I don't understand why we mind getting several loose calls behind us. Open-Folding ATs UTG+1 really depends on the table. Given that you think it was an "action" table, I would just assume that your ATs can get called by worse hands, so I would definitely open-raise ATs UTG+1 at this table.
  • ILYA Posts: 129Subscriber
    1. Open your AQ to 25, and see the flop 4-5 ways. You are raising purely for value, as you likely are holding the best hand. You don't have to c-bet if you miss. If you hit, just play the hand out. You can't be affraid of playing a top pair kinda hand OOP.
    At a loose table, I might dump AT in straddled pot. In regular game, I'll tend to attack the straddle and raise ATs.

2. 67 and 78 is bad OOP. You just gonna put yourself on a draw and leak money. KQ is ok, as long as you're comfortable post flop OOP. You may not be considering #1.

3. Fine calls. You had 30x+ raise. You kinda have to call 4-5x raises on the button with 98s if you really wanna play this game as opposed to just nitting it up.

4. Any size raise is fine as long as it achieves the desired result and not a fold-around.

5. If people are calling 3bets with all kinds of shit, I'm not "3 bet squeezing them light".
    3. If the handed is not suited say 910 off or even 86 off, would you still call a raise multi way ?

ILYA said

1. Open your AQ to 25, and see the flop 4-5 ways. You are raising purely for value, as you likely are holding the best hand. You don't have to c-bet if you miss. If you hit, just play the hand out. You can't be affraid of playing a top pair kinda hand OOP.
    At a loose table, I might dump AT in straddled pot. In regular game, I'll tend to attack the straddle and raise ATs.

2. 67 and 78 is bad OOP. You just gonna put yourself on a draw and leak money. KQ is ok, as long as you're comfortable post flop OOP. You may not be considering #1.

3. Fine calls. You had 30x+ raise. You kinda have to call 4-5x raises on the button with 98s if you really wanna play this game as opposed to just nitting it up.

4. Any size raise is fine as long as it achieves the desired result and not a fold-around.

5. If people are calling 3bets with all kinds of shit, I'm not "3 bet squeezing them light".