Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Poker Class for Adults

Outlier Posts: 88Subscriber
My employer offers periodic adult classes on the evenings/weekends, mostly for entertainment and relationship-building. I will be teaching a class soon called, "Play Winning Poker." It will be a two-hour class, of which a good 60-90 min will just be playing. That will give me about 30 minutes to hit on a few key concepts.

What ideas/concepts would you choose to communicate about playing winning poker in this 30-minute time slot? The audience would be college-educated adults with little or no poker playing experience.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on this, thanks ahead of time!

Comments

• lotto33 Posts: 68Subscriber
    If it's a 2 hour class I would spend the first hour going over the basic rules and pre-flop ranges. 2nd hour playing hands
  • HurtLocker Posts: 25Subscriber
    What a cool networking activity. At a previous company I set up a weekly poker club with my coworkers. We played freeze out tournaments over the course of a “season” with top finishers qualifying for points toward the championship year end event (where we gave cool prizes). Perhaps consider doing a hyper tournament format for this class after the first half hour of basics? Most people only know poker from watching things like WSOP from TV so this format would be a fun way for them to experience the same kind of action. Keep it simple so I’d avoid really technical CLP-type strategies or concepts.
  • RecreationalRogerRecreationalRoger Posts: 778Subscriber
    1. tight is right, fit or fold
    2. buy in for the min if they are going to play live.
    3. maybe talk a bit about the differences between cash game and tournament? or find out before hand if your audience is heavily interested in one over the other and tailor your presentation accordingly.
    4. **maybe** some small amount on pot odds, or at least get the point across they cant play 56s for 30% of their stack preflop. i am always amazed how many people i see call a pre flop raise of $17 with like $50 stacks. its fold or all in at that point
    5. the one thing that really confuses newbies (like friends wives in a friendly home game) is the concept of checking != folding. so many times on the flop the person first to act thinks they if they dont bet they have to fold. i have no idea why they dont get it, but thats been the single biggest gotcha i have noticed with newbies.