Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Getting Value Against a Drawing Station

2/5 800 eff. H covers V.
V is playing 80% of his hands preflop. And getting to the river unless their is a bet and a raise postflop. V probably folds about 70% of rivers.

8-handed UTG limps. H to 30 with K K Only V in BB calls.

Flop (65): J 3 3 V checks, H bets 30, V calls.
Turn (125): 8 . H bets 125, V calls.
River (375) 7

Hero?

Comments

• Daddyslap Posts: 110Subscriber
    I don't see a reason not to bet the river - Has this player made any kind of post-flop raises? Betting this river for value against a station who folds rivers should push us to a smaller sizing - I could see $125-$200 on the river - The issue is that betting small can induce a bluff, but not typically against a station. So if you put out a relatively small bet, you could be put in a tough spot, but this should be a pretty straightforward fold if raised.

How did it end?

• GarlandGarland Posts: 515Subscriber
    Valuetown? $200 sounds good.
  • irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 408Subscriber
    Based on your description, it seems to me that you should be sizing up on every street before the river, including preflop. If you know he is in the blind & playing 80% of his hands why not go larger than a typical raise? Why not bet pot, or even larger, on the flop & turn? I think on the river you should be targeting a J, as he probably would have bet or raised with a 3 at some point & it sounds like he will fold nearly any other holding. I would probably pot it on the river vs this villain.
  • jtm1208 Posts: 14Member
    edited February 20
    I'd go 40 - $45 on the flop (pot:145 - 155), $115-$125 (pot 375 - 405), and $250- $275 on the river
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,549Subscriber
    #1 raise more preflop since he is calling 70% of hands.
    Garland said:
    Valuetown? $200 sounds good.
    Won't you take me too.... valuetown!
  • LatvianMissile Posts: 290Subscriber
    edited February 21
    Thanks to all for the responses. The main question I wanted to figure out would be what is the best sizing on the river against a player like this. Go for big value or smaller?

Spoiler:
    Hero bets 125 V folds. It seems like people are split between whether or not this sizing should be bigger.
  • hustlin Posts: 362Subscriber
    Size bigger for sure , something like ~ 250 is a nice default sizing here.
    Get value from all his Jx
  • joshofalltrades Posts: 134Subscriber
    edited February 21
    Without seeing the spoiler, I would go for a smaller sizing since he is so wide getting to the river so often. Maybe even as little as $100.