Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Post flop 1/2

I follow Ki’s fast track pre-flop opening ranges. I follow Bart’s cbet matrix. Playing in a decent game with some tough regs and some loose recs who like to see flops. After a couple hours the stacks are usually 300 to 1000 and sometimes more.
One of the issues I am having is if three or more people call my raise. Bart’s number one caveat in the cbet matrix is number of players seeing the flop. If I whiff the flop and do not have any decent back door possibilities (which seems to happen often!) i’ll go ahead and check. In this call happy table I feel like I am checking almost constantly. If someone bets and there is one or more callers I usually just check fold. This feels so passive and weak.
I almost feel like people love to call my raises because they know I will just check fold so often in a multi way pot. I don’t think it will matter if I make my opening raise 8 , 10, 12, or 15, they will still call. Even with strong hands I am unclear how to proceed. I raised with QQ UTG and two of the more tricky players who love to see flops called. Flop was k 9 7 rainbow. I probably should have cbet but I thought it would be a good idea to protect my usual checking range by checking with a strong hand. Hi Jack checked but co bet 2/3 pot. I thought it was too nitty to ck fold so I called and HJ folded. Turn J I checked and CO again bet 2/3 pot. I folded. I may be being exploited, but I have a hard time calling multiple bets when there is an over card on the board to my pair.
Suggestions on how to proceed in crowded Postflop situations and how sticky I should be with my pocket pairs with over cards on the board?

Tagged:

Comments

• LatvianMissile Posts: 290Subscriber
    You don't want people to fold to your opening raise. You're doing it to build a pot because you have a good hand. Yes, ideally you'd go heads up, but that's just not going to happen every time especially at 1/2/

I think the fold is fine on the turn. Even on the flop it's ok to fold, but I think it's close.

People aren't going to exploit you very often at 1/2. If you miss the flop, you miss it. And by miss I mean no FDs or BDFDs. It happens. Your opponents are just playing their hands.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,550Subscriber
    You seem like you are off to a great start. I strongly suggest you do some math on solving the "why" question of opening ranges and the CB matrix. At the very least get flopzilla and work out the ranges of opponents how well they hit, what cards help them and which don't etc. This way you have an underlying foundation and education on why certain scenarios work and some don't. It removes you from static thinking and puts you in dynamic thinking. Do the same thing with behavior and tells at the tables. Study combinatorics.

This way you will understand situations like this. I'll give an example. My friend called me with a hand the other day. CO and BUT limp. He checks J T in the BB.

FLOP K J 8 - He checks the hand. It's a big mistake but he didn't understand why. From all the math research I did I know in this spot the 2 players behind rarely have kings in their hand. They are limited at best to K9s-K2s = 20 combos... while their low suited/unsuited connector range is much higher. He also holds no spade. Each opponent has around 20 FD combos, and around 16-32 OESD or GS draw combos. This is a bet for value. Even their Jx hands are worse than his range because any good Kx or Jx hand would have raised from these their positions but a Jx hand will still call at least one bet. This kind of analysis and understanding can only be done off table. It will drastically improve your dynamic thinking.

I took 2 years off to do a project. When I was done with it I immediately immersed my self in books and videos to update with the new strategies. Then I mathed/comboed them out myself by hand to verify them so it solidified in my head. I am making more money now than 2 years ago. My game has improved. I was surprised how much it did. The newer strategies resolved a few issues I had in my game I started seeing 2 years ago.

Anyways that is your next step.
  • CycleV Posts: 1,195Subscriber
    The move you should do more than anything is folding. When you have the best hand you put money in, and they will still call you.
  • Superfly Posts: 590Subscriber
    When you start check calling strong hands to protect your range, you should plan on calling more turns, esp blank turns. If you have a rep for folding to pressure, you may just need to take some of these to showdown to break the image. Once people see you showing up on the river with strong hands, they will change. But they have to see it happen.... and more than once.