Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Top Pair facing a raise on wet board.

5/10 Commerce. Our image is fairly good/snug. Note: we previously 3! $200 from EP to steal the dead money from a bunch of passive callers against a standard $35 raise. That time it worked so it’s possible villains might be defending more...onto the hand in question.

We pick up AQh from SB. V1 Brazilian pro raises $35. Two callers. Hero 3! $200. V1 pauses to think and makes the call. Heads up. ($480).

Flop QcTcJd. Hero bets $200. Any mistakes here with sizing or perhaps just checking on such a wet, coordinated board that should hit villain’s preflop 3! calling range? Villain raises to $800. ($1480). He has another $800 behind.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any history with villain so don’t know his tendencies...I think just calling is worst option oop? Seems like it should be shove to deny equity or fold?

Thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• GarlandGarland Posts: 516Subscriber
    Pre ok. Flop, I am check-call evaluating as you have a strongish non-nut hand that is not afraid of too many turns and you won't really like it too much even if you were called. As played this is a fold to the flop raise. There are too many value hands in his range and not enough bluffs.
  • 3BBRC Posts: 33Subscriber
    Flop is a snap fold. We have 16 AK to continue with and 9 sets. AQ is way way way towards the bottom of our value range. (We might even have some 98s)
  • Steveo76 Posts: 159Subscriber
    I wouldn't read too much into the fact your opponents have seen you pull this move before. If you didn't show your hand, then there's no reason for them to think you were stealing.

Your line is very strong, your image is 'good/snug' and you are c-betting a flop that should hit your range very hard. And Villain still raises you. As played, I'm sigh-folding.

I like your 3! pre-flop (and sizing), but I prefer a check on the flop (which likely also connects well with Villain's range) looking to get value on later streets if Villain checks back.

• HurtLocker Posts: 25Subscriber
    Spoiler:
    Thanks all. We wound up tank folding and flashed our holdings to induce a show. Villain flashes 7c. Results aside, I think against the general player pool at these stakes fold is probably best choice.
  • Superfly Posts: 590Subscriber
    Agree with all that had you checked you could have comfortably called a bet on the flop. Betting yourself on such a wet board and facing a c/r put you into a very difficult decision that could have been avoided. This hand resonates with me and I think learning the lesson demonstrated here is esp critical at these stakes and when playing against experienced pros.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    edited February 24
    I think it’s important to note where V1 opened from. This will help with your ranging in this spot.

As others have said checking flop is probably the best play. You and V1 are sharing equity here and your nut advantage is pretty narrow. This is a good spot to play turns and rivers.