Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Call fold or raise in limped pot

One situation I struggle with is if I am in MP and utg and utg1 limp and I have a hand like ajo, ato, kqo, kjo, qjo, a9s, j9s etc. I may have raised with some of those hands if I were first in, but with these EP limps I’m not sure I want to raise. I don’t really want to call and then have a later position or someone in the blinds squeeze. I don’t want to call a raise 00P with these hands. I also don’t want to raise and then one of the EP limpers 3bets and drives me out. However, folding seems nitty and weak. What do winning players at 1/3 and 2/5 do in these situations?
Tagged:

Comments

• joshofalltrades Posts: 134Subscriber
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately as well. I wouldn't worry about the limp re-raise too much, but know your players. Most recs just want to see a flop as cheaply as possible. Any suited or connected hand is worth a limp. I'm not kidding when I say that I had to bluff catch a guy who limp/called $25 from UTG in 1/3 with T7o. If you can isolate these players you'll have a huge advantage, even with your medium strength hands. And even if you're isolating a player who limps stronger hands (had a guy limp/call AK UTG last night), you still have the advantage of position and aggression, and they have to hit to win.

The table dynamics were favorable for me to start experimenting with larger sizing at my 1/3 last night, and it was a lot of fun. Instead of 4-5 handed flops for $15/$18, I saw a lot more heads up and 3-way pots for $20/$25, where I got to use more of what I'm learning from CLP. As a general rule, err on the side of aggression, and deal with the 3!s when they happen.
  • Daddyslap Posts: 110Subscriber
    The hesitation is irrational - Open the proper ranges in these spots and react accordingly based upon the action. Being worried about a squeeze is not a reason to limp or fold a hand that is a clear open from late position- If the blinds squeeze, we can comfortably fold the bottom of our open range to a 3! as well as flat with the middle/top or even 4! if we think the situation fits.
  • CycleV Posts: 1,195Subscriber
    Bart's general rule of thumb--and that seems like what you're looking for--is when facing multiple limps in front of you, tighten up your opening range by one spot, and then open accordingly.

FWIW in MP1 the weaker offsuit hands you listed aren't opens no matter what.

My personal limp-along strategy is somewhat based on who is left to act behind me. If you're not getting folds, and you're not too deep, and there is a guy behind you who will make it 8x to steal the dead money (including yours if you limp along) then J9s, sexy as it is, can easily be tossed.

How many 3! do you see in your games?