Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

5/10 20 Straddle, Overpair QQ in a 3 bet pot.

hustlin Posts: 362Subscriber
edited February 26 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
its 5/10 with 20 straddle. so effective 100bbs.
We are effective 1900.
Villain is a reg. Between a TAG n a LAG. Can bluff post flop and hero call as well.
. pretty solid but sometimes can get slightly out of line here and there.
Today he's more the TAG side.
Game is solid with a couple of good spots.

Hero image is Tight and probably nitty today, havent been playing much past hour.
Hero has history with villain, Villain does know im aggro-ishhhh and can bluff. But this was in the past.......

Villain opens EP $75, Hero 3Bbets MP to 250 with black QQ, all folds to villain who calls.

Pot ~535
Flop 10 9 5x r

Checks to me, I cbet $185. ( Im thinking if I should check this board ..? )

Pot ~ 900 Turn 7 , bringing in a back door Club draw.
I have ~1500 left whats my line???

Hero could have A10s+ , 88 - AA , KQs+ , QJs+ J10s+ , 109s, 98s,
Maybe some 56-76s....

Also what do you guys think of flop play.... given this board texture

Comments

• GarlandGarland Posts: 515Subscriber
    edited February 26
    Pre-good. I like the flop bet, and I think it's standard. Some boards I think you can consider check back on include Axx, Kxx, JT9, overpair monotone with your suit. But in general, it's best to put money in the pot when you're likely to have the best hand, and can get worse to pay you off. The only deviation I can see is if villain is very likely to fire indiscriminately on the turn and river if you check back flop and you can pick off a bluff. Given how wide your 3-bet range is, it appears you're going to be out of line quite a bit, and you'll need to get value when you have a real hand such as QQ.

Turn is a good card as it doesn't really complete anything and he perhaps turns some pairs with some of his straight draws or perhaps picked up a flush draw. I would like a bet of $350 here and evaluate if he comes over the top.

Out of curiosity, do you remember which flop card contained the ?
  • QuantumSurfer Posts: 142Subscriber
    I think pre & flop are fine. I'd expect his KK+ to 4b a lot though. I know some people get trappy with it, but I think it's an error to assume all, or even half of those combos are in V's range. OTT, I'd probably x QQ with a club. Stack sizes are kinda awkward, in that if we bet here and are called, we'd have ~ 1/2psb OTR. Getting x/jammed on OTT would be gross as well. We block clubs and QJ, V's best bluffs.
  • LatvianMissile Posts: 290Subscriber
    I would bet-fold the turn. Between 300-450 depending on how sticky the Villain is. If he'd going to hero call, I'd bet 450 to try and get JJ or AK to call.
    I'd play flop and preflop the same.
  • hustlin Posts: 362Subscriber
    No I don’t but I do believe it was 9c or the lower card. The 10 wasn’t a club iirc
    Garland said:
    Pre-good. I like the flop bet, and I think it's standard. Some boards I think you can consider check back on include Axx, Kxx, JT9, overpair monotone with your suit. But in general, it's best to put money in the pot when you're likely to have the best hand, and can get worse to pay you off. The only deviation I can see is if villain is very likely to fire indiscriminately on the turn and river if you check back flop and you can pick off a bluff. Given how wide your 3-bet range is, it appears you're going to be out of line quite a bit, and you'll need to get value when you have a real hand such as QQ.

Turn is a good card as it doesn't really complete anything and he perhaps turns some pairs with some of his straight draws or perhaps picked up a flush draw. I would like a bet of $350 here and evaluate if he comes over the top.

Out of curiosity, do you remember which flop card contained the ?
    Thanks for all the responses so far! I will wait a day or 2 and give u guys the results
    anyways I jammed all in on the turn. to kind of merge my range etc meh I dont know. Maybe too much FPS haha. We had some history long time ago and was hoping he might hero call me here. even thou villain can have some strong hands in his range too.......

anyways he snapped call w AA. haha do'h
  • Superfly Posts: 590Subscriber
    edited March 10
    Seems like recently I am the one who is always questioning flop cbets, but in this case looks like a clear cbet to me. You likely have the best hand but could use some protection for your Qs. While this board “smashes the callers range” in a single raised pot, I think it’s still favors but is not as favorable to the V in a 3bet pot. Still, it does provide V with various combos of draws, pairs and overs which can call a bet.

In fact, I would have been tempted to cbet 60-75% pot on this board, setting up a pot-sized shove on the turn or river.

Running into AA is a drag, but what r you gonna do? I don’t see any clear way of getting away from it. As Rob F says, sometimes it’s just our turn to lose.