Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

WTF is wrong with some of these players?!?!

FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,550Subscriber
edited March 21 in Low Content Forum
I have a slew of poker friends who to me seem to have the intelligence and potential to be very good players. Two of my recreational player friends strategize with me all the time. I have one close pro friend who we talk shop. The rest are basically pros acquaintances or players who take the game seriously. They play for a living or play a lot for income. They simply don't want to exchange ideas or strategies from tells to the math behind the game.

I'm not the grand poo-bah of players but I do really well online and at the live low stakes games up to 5/10. I don't due to bankroll requirements and too much time devoted to family. So I stick to 1/2 and 2/5.

I've read more books than anyone I know 100+. I do the homework. I know the math. Only thing I don't do is the solvers. But I watch a mountain of videos on those who do use them and developed new strategies with it.

But I just don't get it. It's like I am talking about magical powers or something and they are politely turning me down. Maybe I smell. Most of these players I rarely play at the same table with. One pro went from 2/5 to 1/2 permanently. I offered to help. He just didn't want it.

So WTF is up with people who don't want to learn from a person who has been making money at poker part time for more than a decade?

Shit I get way more interaction on CLP then live pros. It's fucking mind boggling to me. If I meet an equal or better player than I am I want to learn. The pros I am speaking of are worse or equal to my level from what I can gauge. I totally get a better player wouldn't want to interact with me and I have met a few that didn't want to.

Why wouldn't you want to learn something you are taking seriously from someone who can teach you. Someone explain this bizarre phenomena to me.

Comments

• PokerShaman Posts: 107Subscriber
    Possible reasons:

(1) They don't think they need to learn anything. You know the type: they are beating the game, so they think they know it all, or at least all they need to know.

(2) They think they already know more than you do, and do not want to share their "secrets" with you.''

(3) They do not want to contribute to a worldview where people think they can get better at poker.

(4) They already have study buddies and don't want another.

(5) They don't like you or your know-it-all attitude.
    by 1CycleV
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,550Subscriber
    Ain't #5. I explain new ideas and ask their opinions because I really want their input.

Maybe I am just different. I am constantly improving myself each year. 2019-2020 me can beat 2017-2018 me pretty handily.