Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Folding Overpairs or Getting it in 100bb

Johnny G Posts: 15SubscriberProfessional
General question w limited information on villain. I have ran into this scenario a few times recently.

I raise with a big pair QQ in position. 100bb effective. One caller. Flop is J72 rainbow. I c-bet 1/2 pot and am check-raised. I call. turn is a brick. Villain bets into me on turn and river....

I have been folding to this type of aggression. Sometimes villains show me weird two pair hands. They may have flopped sets.

My big question----Sometimes I think they are overplaying top pair-top kicker as if they are holding AJ on a Jack high board in the example above. Any thoughts? Folding a monster over pair to aggression on two streets has been my default but it is annoying. I think they may call off with top pair top kicker when I have an over pair.

I am not sure if I am netting more money over time by making these "good laydowns" lol. Thanks for the feedback.

Comments

• Qw3Rtzui0p Posts: 36Member
    This is a quite complex question..

Mostly something like min raise or smaller raise on this kind of board is top pair like 90% of time.. The bigger the raise is the more likely its a stronger holding.. Like 2 pair.. These guys are slowplaying sets a lot..

If i get X/R on this board im calling the flop.. If turn is a overcard it depends on their range they could easily hit a 2 pair KJ AJ or some card connected to a board..

But i mostly call the flop raise call a turn raise and fold to a river bet.. Or if is checked to me.. Im shoving for value these overpairs..

Just a rough scenario like this..
  • These are usually tough spots. This is also why it's important to pay attention and not be on your phone or w/e so that you have all the information you can, although sometimes this isn't possible.

J72r you need to decide if villain would call J7s/o based on position, if he limped or you raised etc. If he limped and you raised maybe you can discount JJ. So it's down to 77/22. If he's a total nit - he has it and you just fold. But against some rec players you have to call down. Sizing really comes into play also - if he check/raises small and small bets T/R I'm likely to call. If he bombs it I might fold.

Vs an unknown I probably lean towards folding, especially if the board is easier to hit them hard (i.e. T87).

I had a hand the other day where a guy limp/called UTG. Flop comes J97ss. I have AJ and cbet $50, guy utg CR to $150. I tank for a long time and fold and he shows QQ which is bizarre. If I had aces and folded I'd probably feel pretty gross.

So basically just try to put it all together and make the best play you can. Sometimes you'll be wrong and it's ok. And always take into account whether villain could be overplaying a worse overpair (or a better overpair if you have QQ or something).
  • Johnny G Posts: 15SubscriberProfessional
    Valid points. Bet sizing helps make an assessment along with board texture. A large check raise flop, I am calling. Then folding to a big bet on the turn. A min raise and smaller bet sizing on the turn and river - I may call down. It is also tough to make a read when the villain may have slow -played a better overpair.
    Qw3Rtzui0p said

Mostly something like min raise or smaller raise on this kind of board is top pair like 90% of time.. The bigger the raise is the more likely its a stronger holding.. Like 2 pair.. These guys are slowplaying sets a lot..

If i get X/R on this board im calling the flop.. If turn is a overcard it depends on their range they could easily hit a 2 pair KJ AJ or some card connected to a board..

But i mostly call the flop raise call a turn raise and fold to a river bet.. Or if is checked to me.. Im shoving for value these overpairs..

• Johnny G Posts: 15SubscriberProfessional
    Good assessment. With 100bb, call the check -raise, then get it in for value or value bet 1/2- 2/3 pot if they check the turn. If we are deeper, it is much easier to fold.
    Qw3Rtzui0p said