Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The most effective way to move up

Qw3Rtzui0p Posts: 36Member
Hello im rebuilding a bankroll on 1/2 to get to 2/5 ASAP.. After a swing im trying to figure out how to make the best of it..

Just a few tips..

- Winning session is much more crucial than a loosing session.. Every brick in your roll count much more than a loosing.. So i decided to make a stoploss for loosing and stoploss for winning.. It give me a mentally better.. That i know, I have won 500€ and it helps me a lot.. Obv.. I dont take a stoploss if im on the capped table with bad players who are 100BB deep and I have 400BBs I can loose maximum 100BBs per hand so Im comfortable with playing..

- Be a life nit.. Its kinda boring, but I have to tighten upl little bit in life.. Just eat at home as much as possible.. Eat healthy for less.. (Any tips?)..

- Safe money every week on something.. Like for worse times.. U can get these money into your roll everytime..

Thanks for other tips how to build a roll as fast as possible
by 1bennyj

Comments

• BartBart Posts: 5,828AdministratorLeadPro
    Q--

You certainty have the right attitude when it comes to saving money. I have had sole poker playing professional friends blow through tons of liquid cash on stupid shit like clubs expensive restaurants etc. And you know what? They are the first ones looking for a stake when they go through bad stretches.

Eating healthy is also paramount. I think that you should stay away from greasy stuff at the table because at least for me it makes your mind and your body sluggish.

I would hesitate though to put a set stop loss on your sessions. If you are not playing bad and have taken a few bad beats, especially if the game is good, stick with it and just adjust to your "losing image" ie bluff less value bet thinner.

Bart
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    Setting a stop loss is a bad idea, IMHO.

At most small stakes capped games, your hourly win-rate will be significantly higher if you play longer sessions because you will have more full-stacked and deep-stacked situations. Arbitrarily cutting sessions short to "book a good win," or because you want to minimize losses...automatically means a lower average win-rate.
  • HideoEnomoto Posts: 1Member
    Hi Bart, David, Q first time posting on SOP!
    My names Hideo and I play 1/3 5/5 mostly at the bike.
    I introduced myself to Bart maybe 6-12 months ago when i was grinding at the 1/3 100bb cap @ the bike.
    Japanese guy if you remember me bart.... :D
    Well I thought my post would be relevant here and wanted some thoughts.
    Little about myself, moved my way up from the 1/3 game to the 5/5 game and currently hit a wall causing me to not play optimally due to bankroll.
    I am trying to move up to 5/5 asap too and wanted some advice..
    I have a question for the 1/3 game. The rake used to be $4 and a 1 drop for JP and they have raised the drop to 5 & 1.
    I am not sure how to do rake calculations and the drop rake is the same as the 5/5 game and i really am not sure if it is worth to play for the amount of rake.....
    any insights?
    I will be posting more @ sop
    Thanks guys!
  • SupremeNinja Posts: 137Subscriber
    I think a stoploss for a winning session is very very bad. I've only heard of one other person who used that strategy, and they claimed their goal was to make $100 a day, and then quit. I never understood that.

I think a stoploss (losing) strategy for beginners is an okay strategy. If you are always able to play your A game, then of course having a stoploss makes no sense... but for most beginners, losing 2 or 3 buy-ins will cause you to play a C game, especially if you're playing with a limited bankroll/trying to build a bankroll.

EDIT: And I don't mean beginner with a negative connotation; I would categorize a beginner as a player who's not yet a tiltless robotic pro.
    by 1CycleV
  • BartBart Posts: 5,828AdministratorLeadPro
    HideoEnomoto said

Hi Bart, David, Q first time posting on SOP!
    My names Hideo and I play 1/3 5/5 mostly at the bike.
    I introduced myself to Bart maybe 6-12 months ago when i was grinding at the 1/3 100bb cap @ the bike.
    Japanese guy if you remember me bart.... :D
    Well I thought my post would be relevant here and wanted some thoughts.
    Little about myself, moved my way up from the 1/3 game to the 5/5 game and currently hit a wall causing me to not play optimally due to bankroll.
    I am trying to move up to 5/5 asap too and wanted some advice..
    I have a question for the 1/3 game. The rake used to be $4 and a 1 drop for JP and they have raised the drop to 5 & 1.
    I am not sure how to do rake calculations and the drop rake is the same as the 5/5 game and i really am not sure if it is worth to play for the amount of rake.....
    any insights?
    I will be posting more @ sop
    Thanks guys!
    Hideo,

I don't have much experience playing $1-$3 myslef but it would seem nearly impossible to beat this game at a rate where you could save money for your bankroll. They do have a game in between at the Bike $2-$5 $200-$500 buy in. Check out this weeks CLP as David Chan reviews play at the level. What about giving that game a shot to get your feet wet so that you can move up to $5-$5?

Bart
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    HideoEnomoto,

It really depends on your bankroll.

Assuming that you are playing professionally (no other source of income), then you need a 10k poker bankroll PLUS 6 months of living expenses saved up to play any $5 big blind games.

Assuming that you have some other income to cover your bills, then you need 10k poker bankroll to play $5 big blind games, period. If you have regular income that covers your bills and allows you to add to your poker bankroll too, then you probably only need a 5k poker bankroll to play $5 big blind games.

With that said, the $5 big blind games are much more profitable than the 1/3 NL games in the LA area. You are paying the same amount of rake anyway, and the pots will be much bigger.

If you have sufficient bankroll but are uncomfortable with playing $5 big blind games, then here is a solution for you:

1. Ask a good friend to take half of your action at a $5 big blind game. Because you are only going to suffer 50% of the variance, you will probably be comfortable with the swings. Even with just 50% of your own action, you will still have a higher win-rate by playing 3/5 NL (5/5 NL) instead of 1/3 NL.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,085Subscriber
    One aspect of the win stop loss that I would like to throw in here that I think is important. If you have had a bad run streak .. where you feel your mindset is not on your "A" game.. Booking a few wins at any amount in a row will do wonders to your confidence level. It could be only for say a month but during that time you say to your self.. "If I get up one buy in I will just leave" .. For players , like me, that have a higher sensitivity to "losing" and then not playing your best I think this is excellent advice..

ww
    by 1Gimicio
  • reemas Posts: 100Member
    Bart / Dave / Wendy / any other socal grinders,
    I was playing 1/3 at the Bike and find it pretty soft. How is this game unbeatable with the rake? I can see the rake killing your winrate, but I would think $10.hr could be had by a decent player.

That being said are there any games where one could buy in for $200-$300 in the LA area while building a roll? ($500 would be a bit too high at the moment for me).

EDIT: after re-reading I'm assuming you meant if poker was your only income, 1/3 would be hard to build a roll at?
  • SupremeNinja Posts: 137Subscriber
    reemas said

Bart / Dave / Wendy / any other socal grinders,
    I was playing 1/3 at the Bike and find it pretty soft. How is this game unbeatable with the rake? I can see the rake killing your winrate, but I would think $10.hr could be had by a decent player.

That being said are there any games where one could buy in for $200-$300 in the LA area while building a roll? ($500 would be a bit too high at the moment for me).

EDIT: after re-reading I'm assuming you meant if poker was your only income, 1/3 would be hard to build a roll at?
    If poker was your only source of income, I think 1/3 would be impossible to build a roll.. --- It would be hard enough living off of $10/hour let alone living and building a roll.

At my local games... there is only 1/2 with a $200 max, and 2/5 with a $500 max offered. I played 1/2 recreationally for a few years and i stopped playing for about 6 months for a few reasons (work got busy, the money being made at 1/2 wasn't much, etc...)

After the 6 months I had a few grand of disposable income, and decided to take a shot at 2/5 (buying in for $300)... After playing a few months and listening to DP, my game (and bankroll) jumped leaps and bounds compared to the years of playing 1/2.
  • Johnny_UtahJohnny_Utah Posts: 402Subscriber
    Hey guys-

Reemas, HideoEnomoto (you guys are talking about 2/3 100-300....right?)

I have been playing the 2/3 game @ the bike....

The drop is killer @ 5+1, but I think for people w/ a limited BR right now, there is money to be made......Table selection is even more crucial w/ this structure (I know it's always important), and if you can find a table w/ a decent ammount of 100bb+ stacks (usually 6 tables or more going on weekends ), a solid ABC strategy can do well.

I am trying to build a roll to quickly get into 2-5, 5-5.....but I do know that money can be made @ 2/3. Especially w/ poker not being close to your sole income.)
  • DK Posts: 28Member
    Life nit would be #1 on my list.

I think this holds true for many locations based on the toughness of the games, structure and rake, but building a bankroll at 1/2 or similar is a waste of time. The only reason to play it is for experience. If you are a winning player your goal should be to move up to 2/5 as soon as possible. The difference in winrate is absolutely massive because of the relatively smaller rake and only slight increase in skill. If you can save "life money" to supplement your roll to where you can start taking shots at 2/5, by all means do.

Not saying there aren't good 1/2 games -- I think building a bankroll at games such as the 1/3 $500 max in las vegas is easily doable. But such opportunities don't exist everywhere.
  • DavidTuchman Posts: 786Pro
    First off, 1/3 is definitely beatable and if you live in an area where $10-$15 an hour will suffice, go for it! That said, if you can beat the 1-3 game, you can beat a 2-5 game so get your bankroll in order and move up as quickly as you feel comfortable.

capping losses or capping wins is a mindset that you'll need to get past psychologically if you want to be professional. If you're an amateur and it feels good to book a win, go for it. That said, there are a few things that real professionals do and do well...one of those things is disconnecting themselves with results and sessions. Make the correct decisions, play your best, keep improving and if your hourly rate is $36 then that's how much you've earned for every hour you were there. I play for 4 hours and win $2600...Woohoo! I feel great! ... get past that. It's bullshit. You've earned 4x (X being your hourly rate) ... If you have trouble losing, welcome to the club. It's the #1 reason most amateurs can't beat this game.

I don't mean to come off like an ass...I'm just speaking my mind and trying to help. Every player....EVERYONE goes through a bad stretch now and again. Have the confidence in yourself. Keep making good decisions and know that the tide will turn.

Capping wins in a "capped" no-limit game is death. Chan spoke of this and I couldn't agree more....Capped games are all about getting deep and then stacking a fish for 300 BBs.

If you are having trouble coping with losses and it causes you to play worse than normal, then quit for the night. I don't see anything wrong with that. But make sure you're quitting because either the game isn't very good or you're not playing your best.

Save money....nit life is a great idea!

hope this helps

- Tuck
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    I would vote Vegas if you wanted to grind 1/3. Lower rake and deeper stacks and low cost of living. So you can win enough to save. If you play the $500 cap games at Caesar's or Wynn, they can be beatable for over 10BB/hr

A great player can probably win about as much in 1/3 compared to a moderately winning 2/5 grinder
  • jeffnc Posts: 57Member
    There are many ways to nit it up in life. Lots of coupons, deals, cheaper versions of things. We have a local theater where movies are 2-3 months old, but it's only $2. I just bought a $150 GPS on sale for $110, and if I signed up for their credit card it was only $90. I'll cancel the card as soon as I pay that first bill. Take all the poker food comps you can get and pick at least some healthy choices from their menu. etc etc etc
  • bennyj Posts: 1Member
    Thanks for the great tips. its really very useful following this website as i get to learn a lot. I have just begun learning NLH through the NLH poker coaching videos by http://www.yourdoompoker.com/ and am understanding the strategy and calculations behind the game. As i become confidant, I will go ahead and play wonderful games.