Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

PLO - continuing with medium strength

reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
As a novice PLO player, when should I be continuing with a medium-strength hand? How much of PLO is just "fit or fold?" I find myself lost when out of position with strong starting hands that I either raise or limp-call with. Here is an example:

5/5 PLO, 8-handed, $750 effective stacks

limp, I limp AA85 one suit, another limp, button pots, blinds and limper fold, I call, other limper folds, pot is $85 after rake.

Flop comes K95r with one of my suit, giving me bottom pair, an overpair, and a backdoor flush draw. Am I:

1) check-calling to "take one off" and "see what he does on the turn?"

2) check-raising to get max fold equity?

3) check-folding because my hand is pretty weak vs. a set or or top two with straight draws?

4) bet-folding because he wouldn't ever raise this flop without a stronger holding, but he might call with AK or a pair and a gutter?

5) bet-3! getting it in because we're heads up and there aren't a lot of turn cards we would like to see?

Thanks! Chris

Comments

• AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    same as NLHE

you can think of an overpair like middle pair in NLHE in terms of hand strength. So I would play T9s on K95r the same way I would play AA85 on K95r basically. If BTN is nitty and won't raise pre/cbet without having you beat, then fold. If it's a guy who raises BTN all the time then cbets 100%, then call, etc. you know the drill.

You should probably raise pre though, AA85ss is a top 1.5% hand (the NLHE equivalent of top 1.5% as you may know is AA/KK/QQ)
  • reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
    Aesah said

You should probably raise pre though, AA85ss is a top 1.5% hand (the NLHE equivalent of top 1.5% as you may know is AA/KK/QQ)
    Thank you for the response. Two things, though:

1) Maybe I need to re-read your 2+2 treatise, but I thought you said it's probably fine in EP to limp-call virtually your entire range, and I wasn't sure that AA85 with one suit was a top 1.5% hand, so I guess I will raise that next time. I just don't know what to do when raising with this kind of hand, when called in position by one or two players and I flop medium strength. Hence the limp/call.

2) I guess my real question is, are PLO players generally exaggerated NLHE players in terms of tendencies? If they are show down monkeys, are they BIGGER show down monkeys in PLO and will therefore check behind more and thin value bet less? If they are prone to bluff, will they bluff MORE in PLO because they can "represent" more hands? If they are fit or fold, are they even MORE fit or fold because they are more scared of the nuts? Or do people continue on with generally weaker holdings in PLO and because they still think they are playing NLHE?

In your treatise, you say that PLO players, even regs, are usually bad. I tend to agree. So therefore are they generally bad because they are more loose and passive, calling with too wide a range, or generally more spew-tardy, bluffing like tournament players because "lol I have the stiff A?" Thanks.
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    1) actually, i did advocate limp/calling basically everything for beginners, so i apologize for the mixed advice. i think raising is eventually better once you get more comfortable with PLO, but limp/calling is fine and not at all bad.

2) way too general to answer. the guys who think they're good tend to bet when checked to way too often (since you almost always have "something" in PLO), the loose passive fish basically limp/call everything preflop then call with all their draws/1pair and pot it if they have a set or top two pair. but yea way too general to give a good answer

people generally don't bluff nearly as often in PLO, correctly so because hands go multiway and if you don't actually have the blockers (aka, have the hand) then the likelihood of someone else having it goes way up.