Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Las Vegas Trip Report

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,085Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Just got home from 4 days in vegas. I stayed at Aria and I think that will be the last time I stay at Aria. The hotel itself is just beautiful. The issue is I think the vast majority of the local pros like playing there and that in combination that there is always a 20+ person list I think the casual players are just turned away. That said I did have one pretty good session there but only because I got really lucky in one hand and then was able to stack the only donkey at the table for a huge pot. This was all at 1-3 NL..

My next session was all about this uber loose table and my normal moves just didn't work as I kept getting called in +EV situation and didn't hit. a lot of the +EV comes from fold equity so when they didn't fold twice I was up against bigger pairs. After the loose players left all that was left were tables filled with uber nits. nits that fold to almost any raise even with trips.. can't get paid off if the villains in hands do call your value bets..

So today I went over to venetian and spent 30 min at a 1/2 nl table and had enough.. Uber nits there too. pots over 30bucks was unheard of .. so I jumped in a new 2-5 nl table and on my very first hand managed not to get stacked when I raise in the co with KQ suite flopped tp and a flush draw against a set and the guy NEVER raised me just called.. I lost 200 on that hand but he left me my other 300.. lol

I got must moved to the main game and although there were a couple decent players most were older tourists types that were more passive but a little call stationy...I worked my short stack all the way up to 1200 before tiredness really started sticking and I moved over to the 8/16 omaha 8 game to veg until I had to leave for my flight.

To sum it up unless the baby games are where the fish outnumber the regs there are just horrible games..cant squeeze and value out of them. better to even short stack a 2-5 game in vegas then play full stack in one of the baby games.

Venetian also provide more options as they had the limit o8 game, PLO and big o going when I left. NL games from 1-3 to 5-10 were going as well and the room was full. even with all the new tables they just put in.

So is it worth taking a trip say every month there? probably not. Morongo still has the absolute worst players I have ever seen and thats only 1.5 hrs a way.. THAT would be worth the trip once a month. I hear Agua Caliente is also good so may need to try that one soon rather than go to Vegas..

anyways my take. I have some hands to go over and will post them in the next day or two.

The funniest thing was being recognized twice for playing on LATB and having the players come up to me to ask my opinion on strategy. These guys even had coaches.. not sure what the coaches were doing but some of their plays were rather bad..maybe they should quit the coach and sign up for SOP?

Wendy

Comments

• ChrisA Posts: 5Member
    Hey Wendy. I recognized you at Aria a couple of nights ago. I didn't want to bother you with strategy or anything else, just wanted to say hi, but I never did. Next time I'll buy you a drink. :)

Since I live here you are pretty spot-on as far as your assessment. Aria & Venetian are pretty much the toughest games in town for baby games. However, if you venture to the smaller rooms you see worse play, but you lose the comfort level. Just my 2 cents.

Look forward to seeing you in Vegas again.
  • grindbler Posts: 131Member
    Vegas doesnt seem like all that good a poker town imo.
    the action can be good when there is a tourney going on, which is often enough, and there are other times when the action is ok,
    but at least half the time it's totally dead. a lot of local pros i know there travel on a regular basis to find games, FLA, LA, ect...
    compare to LA where there is a good game 24/7 every day of the year...
    ya, the Aria itself is wonderful; the best dealers, and floors in town, and is super customer-friendly...
    too bad the games are the suckiest in town, and no, you prolly werent imagining that?
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,085Subscriber
    ChrisAbramski said

Hey Wendy. I recognized you at Aria a couple of nights ago. I didn't want to bother you with strategy or anything else, just wanted to say hi, but I never did. Next time I'll buy you a drink. :)

Since I live here you are pretty spot-on as far as your assessment. Aria & Venetian are pretty much the toughest games in town for baby games. However, if you venture to the smaller rooms you see worse play, but you lose the comfort level. Just my 2 cents.

Look forward to seeing you in Vegas again.
    Bummer! Never feel you are bothering me by coming up to say hi. I ran into a bunch of people I know from LA and we stopped playing for a few minutes (I know can you believe it!)

I would have loved to have a drink with anyone from this forum.

Wendy
    grindbler said

Vegas doesnt seem like all that good a poker town imo.
    the action can be good when there is a tourney going on, which is often enough, and there are other times when the action is ok,
    but at least half the time it's totally dead. a lot of local pros i know there travel on a regular basis to find games, FLA, LA, ect...
    compare to LA where there is a good game 24/7 every day of the year...
    ya, the Aria itself is wonderful; the best dealers, and floors in town, and is super customer-friendly...
    too bad the games are the suckiest in town, and no, you prolly werent imagining that?
    There was such a big difference from when I was there about 6 mos ago. Both Aria and Venetian were packed. I thought the 2-5 games were way better than the baby games. Aria had some pretty aggro players so I wouldnt play that game there either. Venetian 2-5 was better than the avg game in LA but not super soft to make a monthly trip.

Both poker rooms were very busy so that was nice.. I had heard that there is a drunk fest at planet hollywood but I was just so tired I didnt want to move at 9pm to go over there. See at the Aria the cleaning crews are so efficient they start cleaning at 8am and kept waking me up each morning. Kinda blows imho.. I mean who the fuck (parden my french) gets up at 8am in vegas? lol

Wendy
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    The 8am players are the ones who are stuck from the night before! That's why I'm convinced that strange hours are the most profitable!
  • ChrisA Posts: 5Member
    ClaireChiang said

The 8am players are the ones who are stuck from the night before! That's why I'm convinced that strange hours are the most profitable!
    So this. I was up at 5am one morning (couldn't sleep sorta thing), made it to Aria at 6 and saw some of the loosest donkeys ever. No lie, almost every pot was near $100 (1/3 obv) for nearly 2 hours.
  • shmed Posts: 321Subscriber
    Someone told me (I haven't confirmed this) that Venetian poker has the lowest rake on the strip, but Aria is slightly higher but also very good; which would theoretically encourage the pros that do their research to play there (and me as well).

These are actually my two favorite rooms, but this is mainly because these are the two that offer PLO regularly. I also like that the $2/5 at Aria is pretty deep ($1500 deep I think) and the $5/10 has a really reasonable time collection rate (I want to say $6 per 30 min?). A couple minuses to Venetian is I believe their lowest NLHE game is 10 handed rather than 9, and I'd rather my rake go to something other than Sheldon Adelson's superPAC war chest.
    ClaireChiang said

If only I were a "morning" person. the games did seem much better during the day. but at night the better rake did seem to draw the local pros.

wendy
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Wait, there's better rake at night?

I'm not exactly a morning person, but I'm an irregular lifestyle/schedule type. So I've played during all kinds of hours. I agree that the typical evening games in Las Vegas are tougher than the same stakes at most other places.
    ClaireChiang said

Wait, there's better rake at night?

I'm not exactly a morning person, but I'm an irregular lifestyle/schedule type. So I've played during all kinds of hours. I agree that the typical evening games in Las Vegas are tougher than the same stakes at most other places.
    sorry i think I still asleep. not better rake at night but that the better players came to aria because of the better rake and they tended to come in the evenings.. Embarassed

wendy
  • VAF Posts: 49Subscriber
    I've been playing at Aria and Venetian for the past month and I completely agree with what is said here. Also, the regs at Aria are very rude, only talk among themselves and the dealers they know. Yesterday this one reg sits down doesn't talk to anyone. Then he cracks my AA with KK all in pre flop and at the end of the hand doesn't flip his hand over. the board is K high with no straights possible and 3 spades. I am waiting for him because he has to show first since I am on the button. He doesn't flip his cards over. Finally he flips over one king. Then when I flip over my AA he flips over the other king.

That left such a bad taste that I won't be coming back there anymore. Luckily this is Vegas and there are other places to play.
    wow pulling out the really old threads...

Aria is a nice place to play.. I just feel the best regs are there. if you get there early you should be able to do better ..but after dinner thats when the regs start showing up.

I have played alot at venetian and have always liked it there. havent been to bellagio or wynn in a while ..

ww
  • laphonso Posts: 69Subscriber
    I would quit poker if I had to play regularly at the Venetian, easily worst 2/5 games I've ever played over a massive sample