Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Episode 109 David Chan on 100BB cap

BartBart Posts: 5,820AdministratorLeadPro
edited December 2014 in Crush Live Poker Videos
For the first time in a long time CLP this week and next week is 100BB cap $2-$5 $200-$500 buy in. For those of you that have been asking for some smaller stakes games here it is.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/videos/david-chan-on-100bb-cap

Comments

• davidbar Posts: 55Subscriber
    i like when david chan expand the explanation on the preflop play.good episode
  • davidbar Posts: 55Subscriber
    questions that comes in mind from one of the hands

which hands do you think is best multiway for being in the best relative position when you call a raise preflop?

which hands do you think is best multiway for being in the worst relative position when you call a raise preflop?

which hands is correct to call preflop when you on the co and utg+2 raise and its call,call ,but not correct to call if hj raise and you can call the co knowing that sb+bb will call
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    davidbar said

questions that comes in mind from one of the hands

which hands do you think is best multiway for being in the best relative position when you call a raise preflop?

which hands do you think is best multiway for being in the worst relative position when you call a raise preflop?

which hands is correct to call preflop when you on the co and utg+2 raise and its call,call ,but not correct to call if hj raise and you can call the co knowing that sb+bb will call
    Basically, SCs/SGs/A-rag suited hands all benefit the most from having good relative position AND absolute position. They are also the hands that suffer the most from having bad relative AND absolute position.

On the other hand, small pocket pairs do relatively fine even in bad relative/absolute position scenatios.

As far as the UTG+2/call/call scenario versus the HJ raise with expectation of overcalls from SB/BB scenario, obviously the first scenario is better for SCs/SGs/A-rag suited than the second scenario. Does this mean that we should always fold SCs/SGs/A-rag suited in the second scenario? NO. Does it mean that we should always call those hands in the first scenario? NO.

Then what DOES it mean? It means we should be more aggressive by calling more loosely with speculstive suited hands in the first scenario because our absolute AND relative position will be great postflop. It also meand that we should be more conservative by calling more tightly with speculative suited hands in the second scenario where our relative position will probably be bad postflop.
  • Stonewalled Posts: 480Subscriber
    David,

Thank you for the great episode. As usual, your explanations were outstanding. I do have a couple of questions:

1. You mention that you are inclined to raise more from early position than late position, and I think you also mentioned that you wanted to build a pot with an early position raise. Can you further explain why? It is counter-intuitive to me, because I would think you would want larger pots in late position where you will have more advantages, including being able to extract more value when you hit a big hand.

2. I am unclear about timing tells. On the last hand in the episode, a player thought for a while and he had AT on QTx board. In an earlier hand, a player thought for a while and had a full house (I think TT on T33 board?). You made note of that timing tell in both instances. I'm not sure I see the similarity in hands. Is it simply that they are more likely to have a made hand??

Thanks,
    Steve
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    Stonewalled said

David,

Thank you for the great episode. As usual, your explanations were outstanding. I do have a couple of questions:

1. You mention that you are inclined to raise more from early position than late position, and I think you also mentioned that you wanted to build a pot with an early position raise. Can you further explain why? It is counter-intuitive to me, because I would think you would want larger pots in late position where you will have more advantages, including being able to extract more value when you hit a big hand.

2. I am unclear about timing tells. On the last hand in the episode, a player thought for a while and he had AT on QTx board. In an earlier hand, a player thought for a while and had a full house (I think TT on T33 board?). You made note of that timing tell in both instances. I'm not sure I see the similarity in hands. Is it simply that they are more likely to have a made hand??

Thanks,
    Steve
    1. The basic idea is that your EP raising range will be strong, so Villains will often have good implied odds to call with speculative hands IN POSITION ON US against our relatively tight EP raising range. So, we should raise bigger from EP to reduce the implied odds of Villains calling IN POSITION ON US with speculative hands. Our LP raising range is a lot wider, so we don't mind Villains calling us with speculative hands OOP to us when we have good starting hands. In short, we desperately want Villains to call OOP against our LP raises, so we want to tempt them with attractive pot odds. When we are EP and likely to be OOP to callers behind us, we don't want to give VIllains good implied odds to call behind us.

2. Longer timing tells are more indicative of made hands than draws. Now, "made hand" could mean strong made hand like a set, or it could mean a marginal made hand like middle pair. In any case, we should weight our opponent's range more towards made hands when there is a clear pause in their thinking before they call us. By the same token, we should weight our opponent's range more towards draw when they call us quickly without thinking.
  • Stonewalled Posts: 480Subscriber
    Thanks very much, David, that makes sense!
  • Drew5harkDrew5hark Posts: 574Subscriber
    David and Bart,
    Fantastic episode. I love the different perspectives and analysis you provide, David. Especially important are the "timing tells" you refer to as well as how in depth you rate each play from each player. You don't dwell on it but you are quick to point out the poor calls and poor overcalls etc preflop where, I believe most mistakes are made in these games.