Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 hand

VernonJones Posts: 178Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Villain is unknown who just sat down and has $500 and I have him covered.

I raise over 3 limpers to $35 on button with 2 red Jacks. Villian in sb calls and one other players calls

($100) flop is 652 rainbow. Villian leads out for $45, loose player calls . What's my move on the button ? How about on the turn based on what he does?

Comments

• VernonJones Posts: 178Subscriber
    So I was hoping to get some feedback on this spot.

Here is what I did and than how I wish I had played it.

1. I made it $225 and he shoved for another $225 ish and I called

2. I should of made it $135 and folded to his shove.

Thoughts?
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    This spot is super villian dependant and really depends 100% on how the V will stack off on this board. Will they stack off with 2p+ and just call down with overpairs or would they stack off like 77 here? Either way i dont think that raising the flop is very good since there are almost no hands that you beat that could stand up to much heat.

I think im likely calling the donk bet and evaluating turn. Likely to call turn and fold to river bet though.
  • Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    Donk is either something mediocre 76 or 75 or it's 65+, hoping to get you to raise with an OP so he can get all the money in. A raise isn't very good against either set of hands - you'll fold all the worse hands and get called by the better ones. If you knew he was a spewy player you could raise and aim to go for stacks, hoping to stack 77-TT, but unless I could stereotype him that way I wouldn't raise here.

Would call flop, call most turn bets. If he makes a PSB on the turn you can release, although he doesn't really need to do that to get stacks in, if he wants. Would fold to a river bet; a random villain is unlikely to be betting worse for three streets.
  • beepbeep Posts: 28Member
    VernonJones said

2. I should of made it $135 and folded to his shove.

Thoughts?
    Agree. I think we lose bit of value by just calling the $45 donk bet. I might make it 150.
  • floppedawheel Posts: 1,063Subscriber
    just saw this and haven't read responses or saw what happened after flop. on flop, i'd have made it like 140. seems like an A6 suited kind of bet or maybe 56 suited. maybe 88. you obviously wouldn't want to give a cheap turn.

EDIT: i mean 45suited.
  • floppedawheel Posts: 1,063Subscriber
    yeah, so you went bigger with your raise and felt pot committed. unless this is vs. a total nutcase, it's probably a fold, although a tough one cause you only have to be good like 1 out of 4 times.... i think this big of a raise might force pair/combo draws that you beat to fold, and you don't want that. the smaller raise might even get called by 77 or 88. plus, you're basically committing to calling off your stack with JJ when you bet 225 and you have to be willing, ahead of time, to do that. in this case, that probably wasn't what you wanted/intended.
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    I would probably raise flop to 145. Probably folding to a flop bet/3bet shove.
  • RONALDBEARDSLEE Posts: 43Subscriber
    Hi, what do you think he thinks of you pre flop raise: surprised I would have put you on ak thru a-10 pre flop His call of raise pre flop is a pr most of the time ...he has over pair to the board on the flop and want to protect it if possible and when you raise him with your AKish to get him to fold, he just think ,, if you have my pr beat ,, O well .. putting you all-in with your draw or hopes you fold.. Your bet of $225 over $45 smells of AKish like you are trying to buy the pot.
  • VernonJones Posts: 178Subscriber
    I knew I overplayed it but it was so weird he showed up with pocket kings. He turned over and said do you have aces