Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

why I shoved w AQ at LATB

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,085Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
backround in the game. AJ and Rocco have been going back and forth taking turns in what looks like three betting light in position. before the show started rocco and AJ got in a hand where they both flopped sets AJ had the better set and slowplayed it and won the min when the board ran out with a four card straight and backdoor flush hit. Both are playing Laggy

So given this dynamic at the table. is it possible that Rocco would limp utg with a big hand? I think almost zero. AK top his range I think he raises vurtually any pair and will do this three bet w hands like Ax suited. So my thought is I crush all aces and I think likely no pair and my percieved fold equity I shoved. I am happy with my play and I think Rocco didnt play it very well.

Had he raised normal we would have gotten it all in on turn with him having me dominated. I thought I won the hand when the second ace hit the turn.

thought?

p.s. Bart. I did bet the river w AQ vs Atidya to bet him off ok AK. and maybe a small pair under the board. Laugh

Wendy

Comments

• Fish Fryer Posts: 161Member
    Wendy -

Any idea about the time in the video recording of the show this would appear? I'm not a usual LaTB watcher, unless the hands on CLP count.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,085Subscriber
    around the one hour mark. I am in the Bb and Rocco is utg. this guys is a real pice of work. he and seat two are friends from st louis and he bluff raises him all in w 77 vs dannys JJ. to add to my post above. pay attention to what people are talking about. Rocco was talking about playing 5/10 at the Bellagio etc...

Wendy
    so the hand is at 1 hr 22 minutes. I am a little surprised that Bart would think a loose and agressive player would limp utg w a big hand. I mean the guy was making play afternplay after play. maybe its just me but Nichoel had it right that after he threebet I was just going to go with it given the dynamics..

Wendy
  • Wendy,

I think my point was that it didn't even seem like you thought about it. It was an insta-shove all-in. Yes the game dynamics were there but do you really think that Rocco is going to limp reraise bluff you when your range of raising out of the blinds is super strong?

Bart
    so funny because I thought I took about 30 seconds at least before I decided to go all in. I was seeing what this guy was doing and I just completely discounted him EVER limping with a big hand. especially since AJ has been three betting all the time? wouldnt you raise utg with a big hand there? Rocco did this with KK later in the show. so given this I just felt Rocco like a lot of other players full of themselves and their play are going to yet again get the girl to fold.

I must say I was shocked he had AK. why not raise that? I thought at best he would have a hand like 88 or 99s.

Wendy
  • It is definitely not the easiest spot to be in and your stack is somewhat awkward. It is kind of an in between where you will not get called by worse, you have fold equity against hands with 50/50 equity and there is a lot of money in the pot. I'm coming down to the Bike now so come and find me and we can talk about it.

Bart
  • Play was ok, given the dynamic. I think he is going to show up with AK some of the time, though. Personally, I feel like vomiting when I get in with AQ preflop in most spots.
    I texted a long discussion w Bart about this hand. my oersonal opinion is that if the player who limps would limp w a big hand or not. Based on this basically my whole play is dependent. if the player is bad and would limp AA or KK then I would never ship it w AQ. if the player could do thid w Ax suited then I think my shove is +ev.

I would really like to see what others thunk as well since this play was the most read dependent play I have done in years! I found Barts text to me very thought provoking and I have been wondering about my play since.

Wendy
  • Fish Fryer Posts: 161Member
    wendy weissman said

I texted a long discussion w Bart about this hand. my oersonal opinion is that if the player who limps would limp w a big hand or not. Based on this basically my whole play is dependent. if the player is bad and would limp AA or KK then I would never ship it w AQ. if the player could do thid w Ax suited then I think my shove is +ev.

I would really like to see what others thunk as well since this play was the most read dependent play I have done in years! I found Barts text to me very thought provoking and I have been wondering about my play since.

Wendy
    I'm not a fan of the play, but obviously, I don't know V at all and haven't watched any of the LaTB episode to know his style or how the table is playing. When I watch a player raise out of the blinds, I tend to think of their hand as quite large since they are willing to play OOP the rest of the hand. I know plenty of players that limp big hands (not me) in EP when the table is playing aggressively, hoping to trap players with mediocre holdings who are raising due to position. When I raise out of the blinds and I get reraised, I tend to think of the hand as QQ+, AK, with maybe JJ and AQs thrown into the mix. Something they are willing to play for stacks with right now. If the V has a history with you and thinks he can move you off the lower part of your blinds raising range, that is a bit different, but I don't know that dynamic.
  • Given the dynamic with Rocco I thought this was a fairly standard play. You weren't that deep iirc, maybe 500 or so, and he was super laggy.