Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Episode from 01-04

RDF Posts: 183Member
edited November -1 in Broadcasted Poker
Saw a pretty gross spot on this episode of LATB where the play went fairly standard.

On the river, the aggressor had the A high flush vs the only 2-card straight flush. The ace of diamonds vs 9t of diamonds on a-3d-7d-8d-jd. River play: Ad bet 255, 9tdd shipped 1030. Call.

Shipping is standard, but what about if effective stacks are not 1k, but 1.5k, 2k, 3k ... etc.

At what effective stack size do you not ship but raise, and what sizing is best. If you get the A high flush to fold by betting say 2k more at 2-5, when they would have snapped 1k, it is an absolute disaster (losing 200bb).

Interested to hear feedback.

Comments

• I was commentating last night and discussed that hand with the players extensively after the show. No one is folding the A hi flush here, literally for any amount with only one combo of straight flush. I dont even see that type of laydown in PLO. Because of the action in the hand, where the Ad check raised the turn--you are going to see a bluff raise on the river by the guy in position, more often than a straight flush, although both are almost non existent.

Bart
  • RDF Posts: 183Member
    I don't know if I agree. If I'm playing you, Bart, and I bet 255 into say 400 with the A high flush and you ship for 2755, 2500 to go, I'd fold because I know there's no way you'd do that with the king high flush for value. If you had the king high flush would you expect the queen high flush to put in the 2500 more?

And as for bluffing, sure, you may bluff raise the river, but never for that large sizing. For something like 1500 I'll never fold, but if you make it 2500 more ...
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,086Subscriber
    RyanFisch said

I don't know if I agree. If I'm playing you, Bart, and I bet 255 into say 400 with the A high flush and you ship for 2755, 2500 to go, I'd fold because I know there's no way you'd do that with the king high flush for value. If you had the king high flush would you expect the queen high flush to put in the 2500 more?

And as for bluffing, sure, you may bluff raise the river, but never for that large sizing. For something like 1500 I'll never fold, but if you make it 2500 more ...
    yeah I was wondering the same thing. against a tight player who ships against your ace high flush. what do you call with sprs say greater than 2 or 3?

Wendy
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    But if Bart were the villain, he might be capable of shipping with a straight flush blocker as a bluff if it's an overbet and he knows that you know that your nut flush is only a bluff catcher against a massive overbet.

If I had the straight flush, I would ship against 99% of players no matter how much I had left. Against super nits or very good players who would understand that the A high flush is a bluff catcher and might actually fold to a massive overbet ship, I would make a raise a bit bigger than a pot sized raise in hopes of getting a call.
  • StopHammertimeStopHammertime Posts: 81Member
    Claire, in all due respect, Bart isn't in the business of bluffing people off of their A-high flushes with a straight-flush blocker in no-limit games. Like he says, that doesn't even happen in PLO.

If there's an error in the guy with the straight flush shoving 1030 into that pot, it's that he might get the Queen-high flush to fold. MIGHT, but even then the Q-high flush is calling often enough that the risk of having him fold out is probably worth it. The next highest flush is the 6-high and that's probably folding to 1030.

The flushes out there are: A, K, Q, 6, 5, 4, and 2 high flushes (since there's four to a flush on the board). When someone leads into you on this board they either have nothing, or they have a flush, so shoving back is justifiable. The smaller flushes probably aren't even leading into you, so if someone does lead into you, you can safely assume they have one of the top three flushes. I can fold the K-high and Q-high flushes on that board pretty regularly, but the player pool does it so rarely that shoving back (instead of min-raising, for example) with the straight flush is perfectly fine.

So let's say it's a deeper game. If the guy with the straight flush comes back with not 1030, but 2530, I STILL think most people with the K-high flush are calling on the river. Perhaps the better question is, if there were still 2.5K or 3K left and the guy with the straight flush raises to 1030 with 2000 left behind, does the A-high flush call, or do they shove back? I think they just call. But I think they also call off their entire stack anyway so there's little point in not swinging for the fences.
  • RDF Posts: 183Member
    I'd bet you can count on 0 fingers how many times Bart's used 1 of the 2-card straight flush blockers to bluff a guy off the A high flush in holdem at the 5$ level AND shipping in say $2700 to win $650.
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    I'm not saying Bart would ordinarily make that sick of a play. He's solid, not a crazy maniac.

But if he were a known good player who he has played with and understands, and he knows that he/she understands relative hand strength, it wouldn't be a bad play.