Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Blocking bets at 1-2

Greetings!

OK so you correctly identified a blocking bet in a live 1-2 NL game? Good for you--now fold!

Ex: Guy has QQ on a T327K rainbow board. He bets $10 in to a $40 pot on the river and you raise it to $35 holding AQ high.

90% of the time in the 1-2 NL games they are going to tank, look exasperated and just say 'screw it--I call'

I have a friend who does stuff like this all the time. He is currently in a $2,000 down swing at 1-2 NL. Tourists in Vegas don't come out to fold! The 'move up to where they respect your raises' phrase has been thrown around a lot but there is truth to it. If you bluff someone who wont fold, its nobody's fault but your OWN.

The times this works out will feel great, gangsta and grand but it doesn't make up for the times it goes afoul.

CajunDragon

Comments

• You hit the nail on the head, Cajun, 1-2 is a value game. I would hesitate to ever bluff raise a block bet where you think your opponent is holding something. People just aren't capable of bet-folding at this level which is why they do so much checking on the river or just calling with super strong hands (as opposed to raise-folding). Now raising a bet that you might think is a bluff with a hand where you are not strong enough to bluff catch is a different story.
  • One of these days I'm going to learn that. One of my biggest leaks is (Correctly mind you) reading someone as weak and I bluff and get a crying call. You can bluff I think even at these levels if its early on with success but trying it on the river is a bad idea because people like Bart stated one people are emotionally invested and pot committed at the river and wont fold mariginal holdings.
  • WillWay Posts: 35Member
    As a stumbling online player with no game a couple of years ago, I can attest to this sense of frustration about 1-2NL live. Since beginning to play live, my learning curve compared to most other players (mainly recreational) has expanded through constant learning and application. When concepts like representing a stronger value range than that of my opponents holdings became clearer to me, my inexperience with applying this technique against the wrong player type was VERY costly. Now, I have begun to focus more on extracting value according to player type, position, stack size (in relation to the pot) and my table image. In 1-2NL, value is KingCool
  • MatthewCahow Posts: 5Member
    Just a thought, but what about making a bigger river raise in a spot like this? Instead of making a small $35 river raise, why not make it $60? I think your fold equity goes up exponentially against a lot of $1/$2 players.....
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    MatthewCahow said

Just a thought, but what about making a bigger river raise in a spot like this? Instead of making a small $35 river raise, why not make it $60? I think your fold equity goes up exponentially against a lot of $1/$2 players.....
    I hear so many times " Have to pay you off" Another poker player once told me that players have either calling hands or folding hands. The size of the bet almost doesn't matter as there is a weird dynamic where the villain HAS to see what he sees as a bad beat. Like calling with a bad flush on the river when they hit it on the turn and another flush cards comes. They are almost never good but they call anyways..This I think is a similar situation.

Also since almost no players at this level are hand reading they really have no idea what you are representing and all they are doing is looking at the absolute value of their hand and they call..

better to just value bet them to death.

h
  • MatthewCahow Posts: 5Member
    ^^^While I largely agree w/ your post, I think this is a spot where the villians calling range is elastic (whether he calls or not is affected by the size of the bet because he has a middling strength hand) and the river K is probably the best card in the deck to bluff because it's "obvious" to a lot of $1/$2 players that you have AK. The OP doesn't give action throughout the entire hand, so it's going to depend and while I also think that $1/$2 NL is largely a value game, there are definately profitable spots to bluff and I think this might be a good spot to make a larger river raise....
  • reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,146Subscriber
    CajunDragon said

Greetings!

OK so you correctly identified a blocking bet in a live 1-2 NL game? Good for you--now fold!

Ex: Guy has QQ on a T327K rainbow board. He bets $10 in to a $40 pot on the river and you raise it to $35 holding AQ high.

90% of the time in the 1-2 NL games they are going to tank, look exasperated and just say 'screw it--I call'

I have a friend who does stuff like this all the time. He is currently in a $2,000 down swing at 1-2 NL. Tourists in Vegas don't come out to fold! The 'move up to where they respect your raises' phrase has been thrown around a lot but there is truth to it. If you bluff someone who wont fold, its nobody's fault but your OWN.

The times this works out will feel great, gangsta and grand but it doesn't make up for the times it goes afoul.

CajunDragon
    Strange 1-2 game, Cajun, where guy has QQ in such a small pot and you floating to the river with two overs... I would call too based on hand reading! In my local games, the hand might look like this:

limp, limp, villain with QQ raises to 14, hero calls on button with AQ, blinds fold, one limper folds, one calls. Pot is $40 after rake.
    Flop T32, limper checks, villain bets $30, hero floats with two overs...??? (I wouldn't, but fine...) EP limper folds. Pot is $100.
    Turn 7 rainbow, villain checks because he is scared (happens occasionally, but not too often), then aren't we betting here? Otherwise, why float flop?
    River K, villain checks with intention of check-calling because he want to get to showdown (almost 100% of time).

Anyway, that is how the hand would look in almost any 1/2 game I play. And I fold to the flop bet most likely. FWIW