Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

AQQ4 with A4hh multiway heavily raised pot pre - is this a fold?

reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
Of course this hand is haunting me because of the results, so now I'm questioning my decision-making... And I still feel new to PLO... so enlighten me all experienced PLO wizards!

5/5 PLO nine-handed, deep stacks (I was one of the shorter stacks with around $1400) - some guys had $3000+ There are some good players, some wealthy not-so-great players. Nobody lacks balls though (except maybe me...).

Button straddles to $15. SB folds, BB makes it $50, UTG calls, I call (UTG+1) with AQQ4 (A4hh), a couple more calls, CO raises pot to $370 or something (CO is a good, thinking player, I put him on a strong value range when he does this - he's quite deep). Button straddle calls (he's deep as hell), as does BB (he only has like $500 left after calling - old guy, not very good). Then, UTG (player directly to my right) goes all-in for like $475 total.

What's my correct play and thought process here? My stack was around $1400. Please help.

Chris

Comments

• shmed Posts: 321Subscriber
    I know you have a blocker, but I think that you are against at least one AAxx hand nearly all the time given the preflop action. Also I think the CO will raise behind you a decent amount of the time, so you need to decide now whether you want to play for stacks. I think a disciplined fold now is the right move.
  • reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
    shmed said

I know you have a blocker, but I think that you are against at least one AAxx hand nearly all the time given the preflop action. Also I think the CO will raise behind you a decent amount of the time, so you need to decide now whether you want to play for stacks. I think a disciplined fold now is the right move.
    Shmed, the pot is protected from the CO re-raising because the UTG shove AI is not big enough to re-open the betting. Given that, is this closer to a call, or still a disciplined lay-down?
    Ok thanks I didn't catch that. So it sounds like you'll be getting about 4:1 on calling the raise if I'm reading the history right. You'll flop a set about 11% of the time, and of course there are flush related outs as well (I would not assume pairing A is an out at this point). So I don't think you are getting the immediate odds to call 1/3 of your stack. I also don't think you have FE nor can raise for value, so I wouldn't shove. So I think its still a fold objectively, although I understand that it is tempting to call since your hand would be relatively nutty on most flops that are good for you.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    this seems like a pretty easy snap fold. there are relatively few flops that you will be happy to stick the rest of your stack in with. having QQ (a pocket pair other than AA) in your hand hurts reduces your chances of connecting strongly with the flop. based on the action, at least one player has AA and others have strong connected hands like JJT9, 9875, etc. you just don't have a strong enough hand to continue in this spot.

also, i disagree that your hand "would be relatively nutty on most flops that are good for you." other than flopping the nut flush or Queens full, so many flops will force you to put your stack in as a flip or worse. are you really gonna fold if it comes J98hh or KQ9ss or 57Khh?
  • TJ Posts: 239Subscriber
    I snap fold here and I'm happy about it. If we were deeper, I *might* call, but maybe not even then if the CO is a thinking player. He's not going to pay you off all of the time when you hit (especially your flush), and you're almost certainly behind. I don't mind the call of $50 at all, but once it gets potted again, I think it's a fold because of the stack sizes.
    chili - I meant "draw to the nuts" when I wrote "relatively nutty." Yes, I agree that there are way more flops that you will miss than good than good for you, which is why overall I advocate a fold.
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    fold. your hand plays very poorly vs. a full ring 3-bet range. most relevant player is CO since you're 3 times deeper with him than everyone else
  • ScottyScotty Posts: 48Subscriber
    This is basically a set mining situation. you are getting 4-1 immediate since everyone will be calling the UTG all in. And then the pot will be ~$2k and you have ~1k behind. You are not getting a good enough price. If you had 3k and CO and btn straddler also had 3k, You could maybe call but its still pretty close. Its basically whether you want to gamble or not. But with your stack size its a easy fold.