Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

When to Bet-Fold

napncrash Posts: 177Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
So I've been struggling with this.

Atlantic City, $2/5 level. Some of my friends play 2/5 and some (younger) are building a roll at 1/2, so our discussions are at these levels.

Standard situation: 100bb effective stacks, KK early position. You raise 4x. Two callers. Flop J52, two tone. You bet, one folds, and the person in position raises.

He's a random, middle of the road, semi-regular. Non-descript...

Bet fold yet?

Call and see what he does on the turn? Check and fold to a solid bet?

Call and lead the turn and see what he does?

Call and check call the turn and see what he does on the river? (assuming specific scare cards don't arrive)

How do we effectively determine when it's an "easy bet fold."

What about flopping top top here? etc etc....

Comments

• reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
    napncrash said

So I've been struggling with this.

Atlantic City, $2/5 level. Some of my friends play 2/5 and some (younger) are building a roll at 1/2, so our discussions are at these levels.

Standard situation: 100bb effective stacks, KK early position. You raise 4x. Two callers. Flop J52, two tone. You bet, one folds, and the person in position raises.

He's a random, middle of the road, semi-regular. Non-descript...

Bet fold yet?

Call and see what he does on the turn? Check and fold to a solid bet?

Call and lead the turn and see what he does?

Call and check call the turn and see what he does on the river? (assuming specific scare cards don't arrive)

How do we effectively determine when it's an "easy bet fold."

What about flopping top top here? etc etc....
    Welcome to the forum!

Nobody likes getting raised in this spot for sure! However, this is almost never a bet/fold in my book, not on the flop, not this deep, not against an unknown.

Having said that, it will get me to think about many things:

1) How much was the bet? A min-ish bet is often a TP type of hand. A larger bet looks scarier, and would get me to proceed with caution.
    2) Does this opponent look like the type of guy who would raise with a draw?
    3) What's my general feeling about his raise? Was it instant? Thoughtful? Strong-looking? Nervous-looking?

The answers to those questions will help guide my future decisions. I'm almost always slowing down at this point, almost never bet/3-betting unless I have serious history. A bet/call seems fine. The turn should give you a lot of information about your opponent's strength, based on his bet size (or a check-back) and the manner in which he bets.

The turn is the truth serum. Smile
  • shmed Posts: 321Subscriber
    I tend to be cautious OOP when facing heat, so I once raised on the flop (I can't bet fold this flop without knowing more about the villain), I would check call turn and evaluate the river.

I think once you call his RR on the flop and assuming he bets, call his bet on the turn, he should know that you have a serious hand. I would probably fold to a shove on the river, as this RR/triple barrel probably means a set-type nutty hand. If he checks the turn, I put him on a FD or Jx type hand and I bet/fold the river for value (assuming the draw doesn't come in).

These out of position hands are tough! I'm not sure it gets much easier unless you have more experience with the player or you are in position. Interested to hear what people think.
  • ^^^^

To both of the above posts! You guys are really becoming thoughtful posters. As a default I usually will call and evaluate turn sizing. If it seems smallish/weak I usually call and bet-fold river if it is possible with stacks sizes. And if it is in between there is nothing wrong with a check call check fold line even getting great pot odds. Remember use river polarization and showdown monkeyish tendencies against your opponents.

Bart