Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

QQ on K high flop - how to plan and play river

reemas Posts: 100Member
edited January 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Two players limp in and I open to $35 from the SB with two black queens. UTG3 limp/calls and so does the BU.

UTG3 just sat down, middle aged Korean man and his wife took seats at the table an orbit or two ago. Don't know much about him, but he was goofing off on another table and doesn't seem like a serious player. BU is pretty loose preflop even to raises.

Flop ($105) K 7 3
I check, UTG3 checks, BU bets $55, I call, UTG3 calls
BU betting range is wide here, he can easily be betting with air to take it down.

Turn ($270) K 7 3 3
I check, UTG3 checks, BU checks

River ($270) K 7 3 3 9
Hero?

Is it too thin to lead for something like $75 for value here? Are we check folding?

Comments

• neverlearn2 Posts: 2,804Subscriber
    edited January 2014
    this is really dependent on BU. If he looks aggro ill try to bluff catch. If he looks stationy OBV lead.

Only way Ill check here is if I think BU will try to steal with a missed draw or a hand like 88 or something.
  • TJ Posts: 239Subscriber
    I probably lead unless you think the BTN is very likely to bluff. You can get called by so many worse hands (and, as a bonus, sometimes value own yourself!) like A7, 9xss, 66, 55, etc. When you check-call flop and then the turn checks around, your hand looks a lot like a draw. (probably only a spade draw on such a disconnected board, but 45/56 "missed", too) I like a small lead for value. $75 isn't horrible, but I think you could probably bet as much as $130ish here and get looked up by a 7 or a 9.
  • t_roy Posts: 84Subscriber
    edited January 2014
    I think you need to lead out on this flop. You're most likely good and you'll be called by spade draws, 7s, 88, 99 and maybe even worse like 44, 55.

In either scenario, I think you can definitely bet river. When the turn checks through your typical bad player is going to look you up super light on the river especially when the board doesn't hit your range as the preflop raiser.

As for sizing, I would make it about double the flop bet. So $110ish as played. Larger if you led because you would probably lead flop for $75-$85ish.

Remember that bad players don't know the size of the pot. What they usually do remember was the size of the last bet.
  • GusFritschie Posts: 102Subscriber
    I would lead flop, can get called by worse. As played I would bet the river, might get looked up by missed draw that hit a 9 or a pocket pair that thinks you missed draw.
  • reemas Posts: 100Member
    For everyone leading the flop, what do you do on the turn if one or both players call? I think not knowing what to do on the turn, led me to checking the flop.
  • Johnny_UtahJohnny_Utah Posts: 402Subscriber
    For everyone leading the flop, what do you do on the turn if one or both players call? I think not knowing what to do on the turn, led me to checking the flop.
    I would have led the flop as well. Like t_roy said, there are deff hands we get value from on the flop. If I get called in both spots on the flop, I am checking the turn. I would deff be trying to get a live read on the way the flop cbet is called.....A quick snap call on a board like this usually means a "no brainer draw" for 85% or more of players.

I can get a little spewy barreling.....so I have tried to pull back on firing into multiple villains. However, that 3d is a great barrel card for value IMO....