Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

5/10 PLO smashing the flop

khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
So I'd noticed a trend of the two guys on my immediate left, who were NLHE players that were basically trying to apply their preflop NLHE game to PLO by raising over any limpers to "ISO" and 3-betting fairly often. So I started limping with hands I'd normally open

One limper, I had J J T 7 a hand I'm opening at most tables, depending on the dynamic, even over the 1 limper, but decided to call. As I assumed, the NLHE guy raised to pot ($45). 3 people called, I called.

($225 pot) Board: J 3 3

So yeah, I run good. Flop smashes me, and it's checked to me. This is one of the few spots in PLO that I'll slowplay. We're only really worried about QQ KK AA binking a 2-outer, or if anyone has a 3, them hitting the case for quads, so 7 outs. It's also a board where unless people have a 3, or suck at PLO and will overplay AAxx or KKxx here, we're not going to get many calls.

It gets checked around.

($225 pot) Board: J 3 3 7

Asian guy in the 7-hole that I beat in an earlier pot leads for $125. Hero?
Tagged:

Comments

• JamesSuh Posts: 319Subscriber
    Raise pot?
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    JamesSuh said:
    Raise pot?
    What calls us?
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    JamesSuh said:
    Raise pot?
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I kind of feel like you have to just call to entice FD and rundowns that include 89 to come along (along with horribly played AA/KK/QQ). A raise just blows everyone out of the pot. We have a blocker to 77, so it's not like anyone shows up with a worse boat here that often either
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    I think flatting is best
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    Aesah said:
    I think flatting is best
    Me too. But I think even a flat here looks strong. I think we're getting folds from the people behind us, and will be heads up, regardless of our action.

The question is, will the villain bet again or call a bet on the river if he's bluffing or on some kind of draw? Even if he hits his (likely) flush draw?

I thought about it, and it seemed to me that he was unlikely to pay off unless he had A3 at minimum, and if he does have 3x he very well may not fold to a small raise. If he has just a draw, I'm not sure he's paying off a river bet even if he hits it, though he may bluff again if he misses, and potentially bet small for value if he hits.

So I decided to just hope he actually had 77xx or 3xxx, some type of real hand, and I put in a small raise.

He folded. I think the hands he bet/folds on that flop, he likely is not putting more money into the pot into on the river, because I think my call there looks strong.
  • Dusty Posts: 233Subscriber
    raise is bad given the weak stab on the tun. You must let someone catch something here with you hand IP. Plus, the Button may raise over this weak lead and call since it looks like a good squeeze spot to a NL player as you described the V's tendencies.
  • RONALDBEARDSLEE Posts: 43Subscriber
    CALL and 1/4 bet river, it all about the money
  • jeffnc Posts: 57Member
    edited March 2014
    khalwat said:
    So yeah, I run good. Flop smashes me, and it's checked to me. This is one of the few spots in PLO that I'll slowplay. We're only really worried about QQ KK AA binking a 2-outer, or if anyone has a 3, them hitting the case for quads, so 7 outs.
    It's not about "worry", it's about value. You bet because someone might have a 3, not to protect your hand against AA/KK/QQ/3333 (although quite frankly betting against 7 outs isn't really bad either). At least at the table you described I think you should.

If you run into J3 out there, bingo. Otherwise, which do you think is more likely - that you start getting value from a 3 now, or that some miracle card comes that is not AKQ or 3, but makes someone a boat? I think that's what it boils down to. If you're waiting for someone with A3 to hit an ace, then
    1) you now have to be worried about AA, or
    2) you would have gotten value from them to begin with anyway, so if you're scared of AA you got value when you could, and if you're not scared of AA then you've now got a bigger pot to bet into on the turn when A3 fills up

If you're waiting for someone with a pocket pair < JJ to hit, well.... I'm not really sure of the odds of that.

As played, you should probably just call and get a little value from weaker 3s on the river.