Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5/10 PLO in San Diego

AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
Main villain is middle-aged hispanic recreational player but quite good. In fact I would almost mistake him for a pro if he didn't tip $15 every hand he won.

Straddle to $10, 1 limp, villain raises to $45 from HJ, hero raises to $140 on BTN with A A J 6 , folds to villain who calls. Effective stacks $1500.

Flop 5 2 2 , pot $300
Check/check.

Turn 8 , pot $300
Villain bets $150, hero calls.

River T , pot $600
Villain bets $235, hero?

Comments

• jk3a Posts: 46Subscriber
    Could def see making it $550 here, would prob end up calling in game without further stationy reads.

If we are going to check the flop sometimes, i dont think it should be on this board, but certainly see the merits with the texture and your spr.
  • AdministratorAdministrator Posts: 747Administrator
    edited February 2014
    ^ you need to put spaces before and after the  :c:  card suits for them to show up, Aesah. I fixed them
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    So if we assume this guy is actually good, he should be putting you on a fairly strong range, often AAxx, KKxx, high suited rundowns, etc.

I don't really like your check on the flop, though I understand why you're doing it. I don't know how often villain shows up with hands like A345ds or other hands you genuinely want to protect your equity against, but I think you can and probably should bet for small value on that flop, because you want to be betting that flop with your high suited rundowns and other hands that you 3-bet with, but miss the flop.

The turn card is a brick, unless he happened to have like 889T or such, I like the call given the way the hand is played.

The river is entirely villain dependent. I definitely play with villains who are betting KKxx on the turn and river after we've checked back the flop, but I think most villains will bet for value on the turn, and check back the river in those cases.

Absent reads, if I'm calling the river here, I'm expecting to lose a lot of the time. The question is whether we're good $235/835 or 1/3.5 times. I can't give you an answer in a vacuum. I'd feel gross folding, but I'd also feel like I'm losing a lot if I'm calling vs. a competent player.
  • Dusty Posts: 233Subscriber
    we are talking about calling or raising right? You have underrepresented your hand by checking the flop so you have to call IMO. seems the way you played the hand a call is in order as we have been pot controling this hand - I would think also a raise fold would be ok but if this guy is a good hand reader you are repping next to nothing or such a tight range of value hands considering your flop check that you may get bluffed off the best hand if you re open the betting.
  • CJDUBS Posts: 2Subscriber
    He's value betting...somehow he hit an 8...8897/88QQ/etc..
  • wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 420Subscriber
    He raised than callde your 3b. If hes compentent I'd put him on a rundown or KK. I'd call. I'd also bet the flop though. I dont liek giving free cards in PLO and that flop missed him most likely. I dont like raising since I dont think worse calls in PLO - maybe but doubtful. Folding is too weak esp since having KK or QQ here makes a lot of sense for the villian here. I'm paying off 10 10 if he has it. With the bet size and action and pot odds he doesn't have a set here enough of the time to make it a profitable call imo.
  • RONALDBEARDSLEE Posts: 43Subscriber
    I think it go back to the pre flop raise of $45 from V and then the call of 95, yes he could have random 2 but he must have a good hand to call. I don't think he is playing middle cards and he is playing your weakness on flop and turn.
  • BradleyT Posts: 621SubscriberProfessional
    As for post-flop play I'd like to know more about villians pot building tendencies. He doesn't seem to be wanting to build up a huge pot. Is that his normal play? Is he just trying to get to showdown for HIS price with a value hand like KK?
  • CalgaryPokerGuy Posts: 342Subscriber
    khalwat said:

Absent reads, if I'm calling the river here, I'm expecting to lose a lot of the time. The question is whether we're good $235/835 or 1/3.5 times. I can't give you an answer in a vacuum. I'd feel gross folding, but I'd also feel like I'm losing a lot if I'm calling vs. a competent player.
    Calling $235 into $835, you're getting about 3.5 to 1 so you only have to be good 1 in 4.5 times, right? I think V is value-owning himself often as your hand is under-repped. Easy call, you'll be wrong some of the time but not often enough to make it a bad call.

Pete.
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    edited March 2014
    I don't think many people would, or that you should, value bet worse here. My hand looks look AA/KK which he shouldn't expect me to fold for this price, and he was right :( I called and villain had 7655.
  • Dusty Posts: 233Subscriber
    classic slow play by V with flopped full house. I still think its a call as lots of good rec players and pros do not play 55xx type hands for obvious reverse implied odds situations. NH