Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Make straight on river villain shoves

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I am playing at Parx in 2-5 200-1000 game. I have a decent image.. tight tag bluffed raised a player and got called by bottom pair. not sure if the villain was at the table when that happened. He is relatively new.. seems tight hasnt played too many hands.. opens from mp to 15 .. fish calls.. I see JJ and threebet to 55 to iso these two players, otherwise both blinds will call.. V1 original raiser calls and V2 fish does too.. $165

Fop comes A 98 two hearts. checked to me I check behind. I dont have J hearts..

turn is 10 hearts.. put three hearts on board but gives me oesd.. now original raiser bets 85 into pot fish folds and I call..

River Q clubs.. fish was about to bet around 130 but then changes his minds and he goes all in for almost 400.. I laugh outloud .. so pot is $165+ 85+85=$335.. I am getting less than 2:1

BTW V1 is staring down at the table doesnt seem to be breathing too hard.. really have no read on him..

What would you do? Then I will let you know what I did.

Wendy

Comments

• RecreationalRogerRecreationalRoger Posts: 789Subscriber
    Hey Wendy

On the flop, which were the 2 hearts? I don't remember (for everyone else, I was at the table when this hand came down).

The best read we could say on the kid is "young guy baseball cap over the eyes head low he's projecting a serious image" type.

Roger
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    What two cards were hearts on the flop?
  • eselspiel Posts: 115Subscriber
    Bet hard on the flop. As played I click back the turn as a semi bluff, to extract value from high heart and to rep flush going for free showdown. If you get raised your draw is not good.
    Fold the river.
    Villian bet when the flush came. Your check on the flop, call on the turn can easily be a flush.
    Villian going back for a bigger bet seems like he's not afraid.
    With jacks, consider raising more PF (full PSR) or just calling to set mine.
  • AdamGabbert Posts: 12Subscriber
    Wouldn't a preflop raiser that flops a flush draw bet the flop? Which cards were hearts on the flop is important. I just don't see any draws on the flop (QJ, KQ...or any heart draw) not betting this flop. The only thing I see checking the flop is maybe AK hearts or a set. With that line of thinking, I would need to know if the A hearts was on the flop. I am curious to see what his physical (delayed shove) might be. I've never seen that.
  • eselspiel Posts: 115Subscriber
    AdamGabbert said

Wouldn't a preflop raiser that flops a flush draw bet the flop? Which cards were hearts on the flop is important. I just don't see any draws on the flop (QJ, KQ...or any heart draw) not betting this flop. The only thing I see checking the flop is maybe AK hearts or a set. With that line of thinking, I would need to know if the A hearts was on the flop. I am curious to see what his physical (delayed shove) might be. I've never seen that.
    Wendy put in the last raise PF. Entirely possible Villain is "checking to the raiser".
  • napncrash Posts: 177Subscriber
    In BROAD terms, big bets are meaningful and big RIVER bets are meaningful. I think especially out of position - villian hates the idea of checking and losing value with his big hand.

Now we all know broad terms are only a start, but it's a start nonetheless.

I think he's super super polarized here... and the polarization leans towards "strong," USUALLY.

Of course, you'll tell us that you snapped him off and he had total air the whole way, haha.
  • Seems to me that he would rarely ever turn anything into a bluff here. It is also unlikely that he would be leading the turn into 2 people with absolutely nothing. Some of the time he will have a jack here as well. So in that case you would be getting less than 1:1 on a call. This is going to be a read based decision as, correct me if I am wrong, women players have different dynamics in these situations. I would be shocked if a guy tried to bluff in this spot against me but sometimes men think that women players are weak and will only call with the nuts.

Bart
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I honestly cant remember which two cards were the hearts.. I want to say the 9 and the 8 but I didnt right it down.. I folded the river.. I just basically thought that with the dynamics at the table and me being the ONLY person to threebet pre I thought this guy must have a flush.. I have two blockers to a straight and with my call on the turn that must look pretty scary to the bettor..

BTW almost no one at Parx was handreading so I think this player if like all the others there is no way he is betting anything other than his own hand..

Wendy
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    wendy weissman said

BTW almost no one at Parx was handreading so I think this player if like all the others there is no way he is betting anything other than his own hand..

Wendy
    I think this makes it even more of a fold.
    (I'd also fold without this information, since huge river bets on scary boards are rarely a bluff at these stakes.)

Due to hero's 3bet pre, villain likely checked to the raiser.
    As already stated, it is crucial if the Ace was not a heart. If so, there are a lot of AhXh combos he can have and most probably would play like that.