Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5nl River spot with QQ

Cuccia Posts: 5Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
2/5nl, 1000 eff

Hero raises QQ to 20 from UTG+2, Villain calls two to my left, all fold

Villain has been playing fairly tight. Has only played maybe 3 hands in the hour I've played with him.

Flop: 7h 6h 2c

Hero bets 30, Villain calls after ~15 seconds

Turn: Jc

Hero bets 70, Villain calls again after a short pause

River: Kh

Hero Checks, Villain bets 200, hero folds.

Is there any reason to bet/fold this river? My thought process was that I don't think I'm getting called by anything worse with the overcard and flush hitting so I can just check and villain will check back any marginal made hands. Is there merit in bet/folding to avoid betting bluffed by missed straight draws or is that not enough of a concern? Thanks.

Comments

• There is only merit to bet folding if you think your opponent would level himself into calling with worse--with something like 88. Otherwise this is a check-fold or a check-call depending on your reads. You would never what to bet the river to "prevent being bluffed". DUCY?

Bart
  • Cuccia Posts: 5Member
    yea I see what you mean, if he's gonna bluff we should just bluff catch.

Would you mind expanding on "depending on your reads"? What types of things/players would make you more likely to call or fold?

Thanks.
  • Looks fine. I play it the same way.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,085Subscriber
    Cuccia said

Would you mind expanding on "depending on your reads"? What types of things/players would make you more likely to call or fold?

Thanks.
    Bart talks alot of players that are incapable of thin value betting. Like a single paired hand on this board. If your villain is a passive player like this then folding is probably the right play since they are most likely trapping you. On the other hand if a player is capable of thin value betting then they could be value owning themselves with a worse hand thinking you missed and you checked.

Its really player dependent and given that this guy is very tight I am probably folding..

h
  • Cuccia said

Thanks.
    What I mean here is do you think that this guy is capable of betting a busted straight draw? That is really what it comes down to

Bart