Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The Limon Show No.8: The Perils Of Cash Game Staking And Scams W Robocop

BartBart Posts: 5,834AdministratorLeadPro
edited March 2014 in The Limon Show podcast
This week Limon talks about avoiding scams with Brandon "Robocop" Uhl.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/the-perils-of-cash-game-staking-and-scams-w-robocop
Tagged:

Comments

• NicholasK Posts: 237Member
    Glad to see a guest, something I've missed since the cash plays deuce plays episodes from back in the day.
  • reemas Posts: 100Member
    "for your fans!"
  • JasonShoulders Posts: 8Subscriber
    Lol. That was pretty good. It reminded me of my trouble calls I get at work when I try to lead them down the path to see the answer the way that I see it. Yet, they usually put up resistance along the way. "Hypothetically" ... :)
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,085Subscriber
    As a graduate gemologist I want to see these tanzanite earrings.. I would be able to tell immediately if :

1) They are real tanzanite
    2) Its in a real metal like gold or silver
    3)They are worth anywhere near $120 bucks..

I WILL tell you that I would never ever buy jewelry in any kind of tourist destination.. In general the quality is lower than in the US and the prices are horrible. They use really cheap quality and just price it to seem like its a good deal..

Next time just ask me .. I will make sure you all get a fair price for something nice and real.

ww :eek:
    Common sense doesnt seem to be one of Brandons strong suits.. I know that Limon is trying to help .. I hope it sinks in..

ww
  • Doubleupnow Posts: 94Subscriber
    Brandon should have also bought a new toaster oven in Mexico!
  • grindbler Posts: 131Member
    his card in the tarot deck?
    170 x 297 - 16K
  • JCW Posts: 591Subscriber
    edited March 2014
    Technically if you have a Backer and he doesn't give you money to play but you are giving him a % of your win. Then you do not have have a Backer but a Pimp.
  • JCW Posts: 591Subscriber
    edited March 2014
    To play in a bigger better game with a Backer (or a Pimp) the game needs to be MORE than twice as good. Because it must be greater than the amount you give to the Backer + the risk of being ripped off by the Backer.

The Equation looks like this.

$ > $(% + Fucked)/2
  • RONALDBEARDSLEE Posts: 43Subscriber
    I would have like to hear about the hand and Biloxi game as I am going there later.
    Also it was interesting to hear about "the dark side" I also don't home games anymore because of no rake and several hands later after early win to be felted buy 1/44 outs lol
  • ShadyJ Posts: 29Member
    Theres no way this guy is a winning poker player. Hes running extremely well. I just dont think its possible to be so dumb about things related to gambling but really good at poker itself.
  • PurpleWeed Posts: 23Subscriber
    edited March 2014
    ShadyJ, would you be willing to wager money on that? There's a provably fair way to set that up online...and I would bet on robocop.

This episode was just Brandon getting attacked. Brandon didn't become a 5/10 player by accident. Remember the episode where he had an intelligent conversation with Bart?

Getting backed for a really big game could be a good thing for both backer and player. This probably doesn't happen often but it doesn't mean it can't happen and that you shouldn't try, you just have to be smart about it.

Thanks to twoplustwo, you can get a pretty good indication whether someone is reputable by their past transactions and references.

I would also argue you can probably get really good information from your backer if he's successfully playing in the same big games he backs you for. There's a ton of incentive there. He can tell you specific reads on players and can text you when the big fish sit.

There was a guy I used to play 1/3 with at Wynn a couple years ago who now plays in the biggest games that run at Wynn...all thanks to getting backed for games much bigger than 2x his normal stakes
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,392Subscriber
    I'm sure this kid is a really good poker player, but this podcast, unfortunately, certainly did not do anything for his life IQ. I mean who would give a dime to Chino Reem and who gets backed without any money? I hope there is second part that will help him redeem himself. Also, why would anyone play in a Las Vegas home game when there is a poker room on virtually every corner?
  • BartBart Posts: 5,834AdministratorLeadPro
    I don't think Brandon was attacked at all in this episode. In fact I think that there was a lot of valuable information to be learned through this conversation.

I've never held back telling people some of the stupid stuff I've done in my career and hope people learn from it. In fact I just did a story time segment for the 2+2 PokerCast at bay101 today explaining how I walked away from a mega 5k satellite only to not get the seat and how I lost one of my tournament entries at the Winstar a few years ago. I can only hope that people will learn from the mistakes I have made and I think that Limon was pointing out how shady the poker industry can be.

Bart
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,392Subscriber
    There are certainly learning points from this podcast. It's one thing to tell people, "don't do this, because xyz will happen" It is another to seem kind of oblivious, which how Brandon came across.
  • DickDollars Posts: 26Member
    Painful, but necessary PSA.

Basically a 30 minute podcast of the convo with Pat Webb's son in law

600 x 336 - 54K
    What I can add from my own personal experience is just because you are a very smart person doesnt mean you are any good at poker. I certainly wasnt and I still feel that I am learning alot. Of course this isnt to say I am a genius..but at least I am smart enough to work on my game.. Brandon is too.

He is just a bit naive and he just has the type of personality where he needs to experience something to believe it. I have known many people like that. Remember he is only in his early 20s..

ww
  • AbeLimonAbeLimon Posts: 860Member
    ShadyJ said:
    Theres no way this guy is a winning poker player. Hes running extremely well. I just dont think its possible to be so dumb about things related to gambling but really good at poker itself.
    ive played with him. i believe hes a winning holdem player but a losing plo player.
    PurpleWeed said:
    ShadyJ, would you be willing to wager money on that? There's a provably fair way to set that up online...and I would bet on robocop.

This episode was just Brandon getting attacked. Brandon didn't become a 5/10 player by accident. Remember the episode where he had an intelligent conversation with Bart?

Getting backed for a really big game could be a good thing for both backer and player. This probably doesn't happen often but it doesn't mean it can't happen and that you shouldn't try, you just have to be smart about it.

Thanks to twoplustwo, you can get a pretty good indication whether someone is reputable by their past transactions and references.

I would also argue you can probably get really good information from your backer if he's successfully playing in the same big games he backs you for. There's a ton of incentive there. He can tell you specific reads on players and can text you when the big fish sit.

There was a guy I used to play 1/3 with at Wynn a couple years ago who now plays in the biggest games that run at Wynn...all thanks to getting backed for games much bigger than 2x his normal stakes
    robo was never attacked in any way shape or form, quite the opposite really. we had a far ranging discussion on equal footing where i made the assertion that anyone who has an open ended arrangement with a "backer" in a foreign country who he barely knows who hasnt sent him any money is making a big error. I stand by that 100%.
    Arenzano said:
    I'm sure this kid is a really good poker player, but this podcast, unfortunately, certainly did not do anything for his life IQ. I mean who would give a dime to Chino Reem and who gets backed without any money? I hope there is second part that will help him redeem himself. Also, why would anyone play in a Las Vegas home game when there is a poker room on virtually every corner?
    believe it or not brandon is not at all unique in this regard. think of all the "baller" poker players scammed by haseeb quereshi and eric lindgren and stoxtrader and, and, and, and, and.... the show was about how brandons mistakes are actually very common and a heads up to players new to the live poker world.