Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

PLO Flop play

khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
5/5 PLO game @ Maryland Live, it was straddled UTG to $10 pretty much every time, so effectively it was a 5/5/10 game.

UTG+2 opens to $40, I 3-bet to $120 with A A T 2 Villain cold calls my 3-bet on the button. Loose passive Asian guy also cold calls from the BB, initial raiser (strangely) folds.

Villain is the same as mentioned here, a usually good reg I know from another game:

http://forums.crushlivepoker.com/discussion/2520/spot-facing-a-value-ish-river-bet

This hand happened before that one, FWIW.

Flop: 3 4 J

BB checks, I bet $300 into $400 with aces, gutshot, and nut flush draw. Villain calls. BB then shoves for $930 total. He's doing this with any wrap draw, worse flush draws, etc. I repot it all in, $1490 total.

Villain tanks. Talks to himself a bit, then says "yeah, I call"

I show A A T 2
Villain shows: A× 2× 5× J× - no spades
BB doesn't show, but we heard him muttering about having 456x

The board runs out: 3 4 J 4 J

...so I get scooped by trip jacks in a ~700bb pot

Thoughts on the play here, and Villain's call?
Tagged:

Comments

• Dusty Posts: 233Subscriber
    dam PLO - NH - your handcuffed to bet calling with your hand here for the stack sizes listed.
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    edited March 2014
    I think Villain's call preflop is bad. Also think flop call is pretty bad given our likely ranges.

Inside wrap w/one pair is further diminished by spades being obv dead, and at least one and likely two aces being dead. You do have to consider that BB has low wraps in his range given the preflop action too IMO

Equity was 65% me, 24% BB, 9% Villain (rounded obv).

Sigh. PLO.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    In a 3bet pot, hero's hand is a standard bet/3bet / get it in however you can here. Many times you get villain(s) to draw dead with hands like KKXXss; or just JXXX one pair, or JXXXss. You have way too much absolute equity plus severely dominating equity vs a lot of hands that will get it in for $1000, to do anything other than get all the money in as quickly as you can.
    Nice hand.
    (In hi only, wtf is the guy doing calling with A25J? I've played that game at MD Live once and it was equally good)
    chilidog said:
    (In hi only, wtf is the guy doing calling with A25J? I've played that game at MD Live once and it was equally good)
    I have no idea. Like I said, I've played with him before, he's a good reg.

I think he might have been a little off his game at that point.
  • jersey716 Posts: 3Member
    eric runs good.
    jersey716 said:
    eric runs good.
    Must be nice :cool:
  • fishcake Posts: 952Subscriber
    Play is horrible by villain all around. Sucks you lost but you played it well.
  • jeffnc Posts: 57Member
    I don't think villain's flop call would normally be bad in a vacuum, but he should do a little hand ranging. He's got to think you have a couple aces here pretty often, which hurts his wrap by about 3% total equity. He couldn't have known that you also had a 2. But you guys were shoving with something so he has to seriously discount some outs due to flush draws and other straight draws. If he thinks you both have flush draws, he's slightly better. His preflop call is absolutely atrocious of course.

Your play looks fairly obvious, not sure what you're doubting there.