Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

River bet or just give up?

TerpHimselfTerpHimself Posts: 291Subscriber
5-5 $1K-3K deep stack RxR home game. Seven handed. Hero has great image from running over table in first hour due to being hit by the deck. Sitting on $2500 from 1k starting stack.

Villian is LAGy mark, plays wide variety of hands, not very cognizant of relative hand strength, willing to pay off big bets, also fires most boards he has any piece of, but has made a few folds. Has about $1800.

Straddle up front, Villian calls 10, Hero calls on button with JT93dd, blinds complete and straddle checks.

Flop 873 rainbow, blinds check, Villian bets $40, hero decides to call. Three others fold.

Turn 4 completing the badugi, Villian bets 80, hero calls again.

River Q. Villian now checks. Hero thinks whether to fire $220 or just give up on the hand.

Thoughts on spot? I'm still working on my PLO game and make plenty of mistakes with draws/blockers and the sort. But here was a spot where I wasn't sure what hand fires twice and then checks the river when obvious straight draws brick out. Feel like we share a ton of cards, and no chance he checks 65 here.

Comments

• OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    This feels like a spot where you should have started bluffing earlier in the hand (i.e. raise the flop or turn to really threaten stacks).

As is, you are not really repping anything, are not threatening stacks, and are in a spot where the villain will often be checking to bluff catch. I would probably just give up.
  • OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    Also, I like your icon. :tu:
  • Dusty Posts: 233Subscriber
    V is going into c/c mode with top 2 or a set most likely and most likely will not fold. We only beat a hand that is similar than ours and I doubt that V is firing the turn with a draw but it is possible.
  • BradleyT Posts: 621SubscriberProfessional
    Why are you considering $220? Wouldn't any bet over $125 do the same thing? Unless you're trying to get him off 2 pair+ which eh, you don't really rep anything so that's pretty hard.

I think $125 could get him off similar hands that have us beat with 1 pair like 79T or 89T or something he's overplaying strongplaying like JJ96 that's now just a pair of jacks. But if he can hand read at all, how often does a Q improve your hand when you liked an 873r flop????
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    edited March 2014
    I would definitely raise flop, and also consider raising turn too.

I would not bluff this runout as people don't really like to fold in PLO when nothing changes.
    TerpHimself said:

But here was a spot where I wasn't sure what hand fires twice and then checks the river when obvious straight draws brick out.
    there's a crapton of hands that someone could play like this, 87xx, 88xx, 77xx, 44xx
  • TerpHimselfTerpHimself Posts: 291Subscriber
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I fired b/c I thought there was no way this villian checks a set or strong two pair on the river. He called with 9864. I agree with Don that a raise on the flop would be better and also lend me credibility on the river.
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    edited March 2014
    ya i forgot to mention that too- if he has 8xyz on the flop where xyz are all different random cards, there's like a ~30-35% chance or so he makes 2 pair by the river.
  • TerpHimselfTerpHimself Posts: 291Subscriber
    Thanks for that Don. That's a part of Omaha math I'm still trying to pound into my brain.