Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Vs. true maniac

AGBAGB Posts: 103Member
edited March 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Game on Saturday when guy sits down with a buddy, they are new to town. They start blind rasing pre every hand in every position to b/t 5x- 11x. I'm loving it, but after about 1hr an old "through ticket nit" complains to floor and they make ruling that blind raise can only be done UTG?.

Anyway the buddy loses 3 BIs and leaves but the older guy drops about 9 BIs before starting to get some chips.

After the ruling the old guy starts to open every hand from b/t 7x-18x. He would fire pot + bets on 90% on the flops too.

I happen to pick up QQ, KK, AA all x2 in about 100 hands and build a massive stack mainly off this guy and all the hands pretty much play themselves, before I double him thru with AhKh vs his 88.

At the end of the night he says how much he loves poker and now he is living here will be a reg in these games ( fuck yeah! )

My question is a simple one but what general strategy adjustments do you make vs this type of villain ? How does it effect calling / 3 betting ranges, keep in mind 10 handed table mostly with everyone else basically waiting to "get" this guy.

Comments

• 5DollarShake Posts: 64Subscriber
    edited March 2014
    AGB said:
    Game on Saturday when guy sits down with a buddy, they are new to town. They start blind rasing pre every hand in every position to b/t 5x- 11x. I'm loving it, but after about 1hr an old "through ticket nit" complains to floor and they make ruling that blind raise can only be done UTG?.
    Can the floor really make off the cuff decisions like that? I thought it was no limit?

What about if the guy wanted to shove every hand instead of just raising? I bet they wouldn't stop that.
  • AGBAGB Posts: 103Member
    edited March 2014
    Yeah I thought it was crazy and did mention to the floor that surely he can blind raise whatever he wants. But it didn't bother me either way, I'm totally used to floor staff making crazy rulings or rules changing depending on staff and just roll with it now.

I have seen guys shove all in blind, and honestly I think if someone didn't complain no action would of been taken.

The floor said it was an out of turn bet unless done UTG, thus not allowed but really was done to appease the old man that was kinda friends with the floor.

Note : wasn't in Melbourne, this shit wouldn't fly there.

And old man was a serial complainer, the type of guy that holds 15 ppl up in the line behind him at a fast food restaurant while he argues with the kid behind the counter about his $1 discount coupon ( which is expired ) not being accepted.
  • maphacks Posts: 1,985Subscriber
    slowplay all monsters, 3bet/fastplay all vulnerable hands, possible fold some hands which are slightly ahead against his 100% range but play poorly postflop (like K5o or sth. - only playable if he is jamming 100% vs 3bets).
    it also depends a lot how good the other players at the table adapt to this guy. most of the time ppl are VERY VERY bad in adapting.

• FreeLunch Posts: 1,299Pro
    You also need to make bankroll adjustments - or at least make sure you are really rolled for the action. A 2-5 where every hand is $100 to play is not really a 2-5. Its some kind of bizarre 2-$100 low cap game. Ive seem people who were rolled ok for their normal game get in one of these and get killed an the process really hurt their role. This is especially true if you are correctly loosening up your value range.

I agree with maphacks about how much it matters how the others in the field adjust. Normally they will all get trappy which can make this seemingly great game really suck for you if you constantly have trappy limpers acting before you and the villain.
    by 1Aesah
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,083SubscriberProfessional
    I hate these games actually... I find them boring.. You have to be very patient and cant really play any poker.. Will you make money..of course as ppl have said above.. But for me I need to actually play some poker to have fun.. I am changing tables..

ww
  • floppedawheel Posts: 1,063Subscriber
    i'd say "pick up QQ, KK, AA all x2 in about 100 hands and build a massive stack" is a pretty good way to play vs. this kind of villain.

get on his left asap.

basically, you'll get paid off with your premiums, so it's hugely profitable if timing is on your side. it's just a test of patience because playing SC well in position, hand-reading, bet-folding, they all kinda go out the window. you're often just playing your highest value hands to the max. have to remain aware that those limpers who are slow playing also might be doing with a somewhat wider range, say AJ when they'd never slow play AJ. so not every limp/re-raise is going to mean AA.
  • maphacks Posts: 1,985Subscriber
    yes BRM is a good point. I would play super loose against this guy because he will lose his whole stack every time someone has anything against him so we have to be fast
  • Dusty Posts: 233Subscriber
    maphacks - loose is the wrong way to beat this person. They never fold, so just play a stronger hand range in position and wait for a big hand. Play pairs and big cards and print money - playing a loose range vs a loose player is equivalent to lighting money on fire. We always like to loosen up vs loose players, that is the opposite of what we should be doing.
    Thehammah said:
    I hate these games actually... I find them boring.. You have to be very patient and cant really play any poker.. Will you make money..of course as ppl have said above.. But for me I need to actually play some poker to have fun.. I am changing tables..

ww
    hammah -- i can't think of this as anything other than a leak. if you just play patient, you're almost guaranteed to get paid off with your big hands -- isn't that what we want at any table? if you find yourself frustrated and not playing optimally in this ramped-up setting, you should really try to adapt because it can be so profitable.
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    floppedawheel said:

get on his left asap.

I am trying to get to this guys RIGHT (if he really is a maniac and won't fold to 3 bets). You can pick up so much money by l/rr guys like this
    Wackabrew said:
    floppedawheel said:

get on his left asap.

I am trying to get to this guys RIGHT (if he really is a maniac and won't fold to 3 bets). You can pick up so much money by l/rr guys like this
    but let's say everybody's trying to isolate him using a lighter, 3-betting range. you want to isolate him with, say AJ. if you're to his immediate left, you can do that, no problem. if you're on his right, you limp, intending to limp/re-raise with AJ. then somebody ELSE isolates with a 3-bet on his left. you won't know whether they're isolating light (with, say KQ/AT) or they have a bigger hand. there probably will be a few players trying to do this. all of a sudden, your limp/re-raise is up in smoke, unless it's another player who has been doing this habitually and whose range you can be confident you're ahead of. if you're on his right, it's more of a guessing game.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,083SubscriberProfessional
    floppedawheel said:
    Thehammah said:

ww
    hammah -- i can't think of this as anything other than a leak. if you just play patient, you're almost guaranteed to get paid off with your big hands -- isn't that what we want at any table? if you find yourself frustrated and not playing optimally in this ramped-up setting, you should really try to adapt because it can be so profitable.
    It miight not be as profitable but i dont play poker just to make Money. Its also the puzzle and these games tend to b high variance and i just dont have fun.

Also it seems when there is a player like this many times all the better players come to the table leaving the bad recs all alone Those games are also very profitable amd low variance

Ww
    Thehammah said:

It miight not be as profitable but i dont play poker just to make Money. Its also the puzzle and these games tend to b high variance and i just dont have fun.

i get you. if poker isn't fun, it's not really worth it. i've been at tables where clearly the action was better at other tables but i just happened to be playing with some pretty cool peeps so i kinda treated it as a home game.
  • AGBAGB Posts: 103Member
    edited April 2014
    maphacks said:
    slowplay all monsters, 3bet/fastplay all vulnerable hands, possible fold some hands which are slightly ahead against his 100% range but play poorly postflop (like K5o or sth. - only playable if he is jamming 100% vs 3bets).
    it also depends a lot how good the other players at the table adapt to this guy. most of the time ppl are VERY VERY bad in adapting.
    Thanks for the advice, this was the kinda thing i was wanting to confirm.
    It was clear to me that no one else at the table was adapting and all tightened up. I was the only person that adjusted in any way other then tightening up, im not sure they way i adjusted was optimal though.

My good run of cards helped me and i started to call him lighter/ 3 betting him more, then i would someone with a sane range, it also helped ( post ) that i was on his direct left and everyone else was playing so tight pre that most pots were heads up me vs him. Although i crushed him due to cards like 15 outta 17 times, i did find myself in some sticky spots.
    Wackabrew said:
    floppedawheel said:

get on his left asap.

I agree being to the direct right of this guy can be the best situation. I havent found this player type in my live game very much but online this situation would come up, maybe in tourneys more, and being to the right was great to limp/rr, also get to see what the people behind him do before it gets to you so in a strange way you have position on them. As it happened i was on his direct left, which post flop was good but didnt really matter as he would blind fire alot of flops and deciding to call him/3bet with a wider range was tricky as i had many people behind me to act.

That being said the next time he sits down at my table, if i have a big stack i and he builds one up i prefer to be to his left.
    Thehammah said:

ww
    Hammah i have a very similar mindset to you when it comes to poker i assume. I like the fact that poker can be a changeling puzzle and dont like heavy variance. I used to only play during the week during the day with the old men and bad regs and hated playing with the fri/sat night drunks / maniacs, but now i love it and my hourly is much higher during these sessions, even with the variance.

It will sound stupid but i found that i had to think and work out this guy more then youd think youd have to. He wasnt just smashing buttons 100% of the time, i mean yes, the combination of his blind raising every hand and thru the roof aggression factor did make it a bit of a crapshoot but there was a game within a game of trying to win vs this guy not just when i had a premium.

Also 99% of the time the games i play in are extremely passive and fishy. I know what you mean by saying this crazy game would be boring and in a way i agree but my regular game were ppl hardly ever fold and its almost always showdown poker seems pretty boring too. All this guy was doing was upping the variance in the game by a factor of a million. Thing i love about my normal game is there is little variance, and while playing i looked at this guy and thought " jesus this guy is the personification of variance" but being well rolled for the game and willing to "gamble" a little with this guy made it fun for me.

• Ifold2Chex Posts: 67Subscriber
    I was in a game like this this weekend. It was 1/2 where the effective stacks were 1200. This is my regular game and this guy was blindly betting $25 to $50 preflop. He had good hand reading skills and could pick up on weakness post flop. Average pots were $300. All my value hands got owned by this guy on the river. He somehow always hit an ace and he would never slow down post flop. I would go into a check calling shell, to let him bluff but he got there every time on the river! I lost 1200 to this luck box and my bankroll is ruined. I honestly can't believe I ran that bad against this scrub. I thought it was a dream come true that this guy was sitting at my table but I just could never get the best of it. I'm super bummed. I'm used to more passive games and running over thew players, I'm not used to being the one bulldozed.
  • Dusty Posts: 233Subscriber
    edited April 2014
    if your effective stack of 1200 = your bankroll don't play in any game with that stack please. Definitely need to run even to good vs. maniacs to reap the benefits of this type of player, but the reason they play this way is because sometimes they win huge sometimes/rarely and they chase that runs - so be prepared for huge suckouts and massive swings. For someone building a roll, definitely get up from a table when you are 600BB's deep or even 3-400 deep to build your roll.
  • DrGambol Posts: 724Subscriber
    Just don't make the mistake of tightening too much. If he's 10x'ing A7o, then don't fold AJo because we don't want to stack off 100 bb with AJo. We need to play his range and take advantage of his mistakes. Also, if they're cbetting 90% then we need to make an adjustment (bluff raise, float, call down lighter)