Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

AQo, hero opens, facing a 3-bet

reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
edited April 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
NLHE $2/5, 7-handed, $600 deep (villain has me covered).

Villain is competent reg in the game. I open in MP to $20 with AQo, villain 3-bets in HJ to $65, button cold-calls, blinds fold.

Options are: 1) fold; 2) call; and 3) 4-bet.

I'd like to know if there is consensus here, or are there a wide range of opinions in this spot. Folding seems pretty nitty 7-handed getting 3.5-1, but calling seems tough as I will be out of position post-flop, and 4-betting seems kind of spewy. It's like no option looks very good to me.

Thanks for your comments.

Chris

Comments

• chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    I don't like that we out of position to 2 players , including a cold caller of the 3bet who we are behind almost 100% of the time. HJ could possibly be 3betting light , but the button is not cold calling with AJ or worse (if he is marginally competent).

Also, AQo is really tough to get value with oop if we do flop the best hand.

Pros to us calling pre: most players play pretty straightforwardly in 3bet pots , especially since the pot would be multi-way if hero calls.

Overall, I'm leaning towards folding here. And yes, this spot sucks since none of our options seem good.
  • Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    We most likely have the pot odds to call from an equity perspective, but a good bit of our equity is from flopping overcards and gutters. That part of our equity will be really hard to realize against a competent reg, since he's going to be c-betting a ton and we're going to have to fold if we miss.

RIO is also a problem. I would think a good chunk of both players range is AK. We're really only happy if the flop is Q-high or if we flop two pair plus.

People just have too strong of a three-betting range for calling here to be a profitable play. He raised from the HJ, not the CO/button, and he doesn't have a caller to squeeze you with. Trying to outplay a reasonably tight 3-betting range with an SPR of 3 is going to be too tough.
  • OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    Any reads on the villain?
  • DrGambol Posts: 724Subscriber
    If we had a HUD, there are competent regs that play vpip/pfr of 20/15, 40/15, and 10/5. There are also competent regs that will have 3 bet ranges of QQ+/AK, TT+/AJ+, and QQ+/AK/Axs/65s-T9s. So which is he? How often has he 3 bet so far? What has he done that makes you think he's competent?
  • reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
    I'm hearing a few folds and a few it's villain-dependent. I would say in general, this villain's pre-flop 3-betting range is closest to TT+/AJ+, with very occasional flirtations into the looser category above.

The cold-caller in this situation is straight forward in this spot, pretty much a mid pocket pair all the time. I think this button would almost always 4-bet with AK.
  • DrGambol Posts: 724Subscriber
    Does the cold caller ever slow play KK/AA like this?

How is this guy playing against a 4 bet? Is he folding TT, JJ, AJ, AQ? If he folding AK? Is he jamming any of those hands? Is he likely to flat a 4 bet?

How is this guys postflop game? Nitty? aggro? Is he going to put us in tough spots if we flat and flop a Q or A? Or is he going to let us see a showdown cheaply when we improve?
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    Fold
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,391Subscriber
    Why does folding seem nitty in a 7-handed game where there is a 3bet and cold call? Seems like a fold to me...