Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

"Zero, one, or many"

StopHammertimeStopHammertime Posts: 81Member
edited November -1 in Deuce Plays podcast
I've been listening to Episode 42 of DPP and around the 49:00 mark, Bart refers back to a point he's made before about opponents not being able to conceive of how many chips are in a cluster. I think the phenomenon Bart refers to is real, but I just remembered something that I think may be relevant to this concept.

When I worked for AT&T, I learned that the seven digit phone number system in the United States was no accident. Bell Labs (the R&D arm of AT&T), I believe, did research and found that seven digits was the highest amount of digits that people could reasonably be expected to remember.

Remember a discrete order of numbers is different than recognizing how many objects are in a pile, but it nevertheless shows the weakness of the human mind in dealing with more than a few units.

Here's an ABC News article that discusses "the magic number seven" and frames this in terms of "working memory" http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/brain-memory-magic-number/story?id=9189664

Comments

• StopHammertime said

I've been listening to Episode 42 of DPP and around the 49:00 mark, Bart refers back to a point he's made before about opponents not being able to conceive of how many chips are in a cluster. I think the phenomenon Bart refers to is real, but I just remembered something that I think may be relevant to this concept.

When I worked for AT&T, I learned that the seven digit phone number system in the United States was no accident. Bell Labs (the R&D arm of AT&T), I believe, did research and found that seven digits was the highest amount of digits that people could reasonably be expected to remember.

Remember a discrete order of numbers is different than recognizing how many objects are in a pile, but it nevertheless shows the weakness of the human mind in dealing with more than a few units.

Here's an ABC News article that discusses "the magic number seven" and frames this in terms of "working memory" http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/brain-memory-magic-number/story?id=9189664
    This is especially true when you are dealing many single entities in large numbers. I would bet that once the pot gets above $500 in $5 chips that most people wouldn't know the difference between a $700 pot and a $1600 pot just by eying the amount of chips. This is why I am such a huge proponent of using over size chips to bet with. Normally when we are betting large amounts it is for value and I want to force my opponent's to realize the size of the pot so that they will be more likely to call down.

Bart