Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

semi-bluff a big draw, make my hand on the river, and face a big raise.

grindbler Posts: 131Member
edited April 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Game is 2/5 NL 9 handed. Opponent in this hand is super weak, stationy, limpy, plays face up, is SUPER-sticky, and pretty passive for the most part. (you know the drill/ very common tendencies at this level).
effective stacks w/ him are @$800.
He hit a bad beat jackpot recently for 60k and has since become a much bigger contributor to the game. Persian dude.

I'm in the BB w/ 8cTc and check my option in a 6 way pot UTG+2, UTG+3 (main opponent), HJ, button, and SB limp in. Pot is $25. (after rake)
Flop comes Jh 9c 6c. flopping gutshot str8 flush draw.
I lead $25, and UTG+2 (also super-weak) and opponent both call; the rest of the field folds. I love my hand. pot is $75.

turn comes a blank, 4d. I fire out $55. Only main opponent calls. (big surprise, lol)
pot is $185

river is the Kc, making my flush. I happily bet $155 expecting to get called by his entire range, and he snap-makes it $500 more, leaving less than $100 behind.

having played many hours w. this guy I think he has a flush here only, and is never going crazy w/ QT (str8) unless he mis-read the board. the J on the flop is not a club, so I'm losing to the nuts, Q-hi, & J-hi flushes.
he never folds Q3sooted type hand preflop, but then he plays just about 100% of his hands.
I'm only beating a 7-hi or 5-hi flush of worse, since I have the 8 blocked, and the 6 is on the board.

who calls, who folds?? and why??

Comments

• Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    You have to fold here. A7, A5-A2, QJ (and yeah, sounds like he'd play it this way) versus 75 and 54. You aren't good here the ~1/3 of the time you need to be, especially since he may not make such a giant raise on the end with 75 or 54.
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    edited April 2014
    As you've described, I think this is a classic bet/fold situation.

I think you can bet for value, and get called by worse -- but when you're jammed on by this guy, they way you describe his play and tendencies, it's a fold.

I mean, is he making it $500 to go on the river with a 9 high flush? Is he turning his hand into a bluff after you've shown strength by barreling all 3 streets? I don't think so.

The only thing missing from this equation from my perspective, is your image of the table... are you winning or losing? What do your opponents likely think of you?

Anyway, his raise sizing is pretty absurd, so his hand is super polarized imo. It's the nuts or some kind of silly hail Mary bluff. Given how you've described him, I find the latter hard to believe.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,390Subscriber
    You have a ten high flush in a limped pot, and he fires a huge raise on the river... This is a fold, most players are only doing this with an Ace high flush.
  • grindbler Posts: 131Member
    edited April 2014
    thanks everyone; btw, he doen't bluff. he plays pretty face-up.

i'm not sure how aware this guy is of images btw.
    he doesn't seem to adjust his play to different opponents.
    he's really a classical donkey rec player. he's concerned w/ his 2 cards and thats it.
    doesn't think about what he beats/ what can pay him off, ect...
    My image should be= tight aggressive/ playing 15-18% of my hands/ but capable of moves on occasion.
    a lot of these rec players perceive aggression as inherently FOS because they aren't capable of it themselves for value, and they see aggression as bluffy, and 'pushing them around', 'pushing them out of the pot' when you really want calls because you like $.

later, i was thinking check/ call; the river, but it seemed like such a weird line at the time, and like 'backwards play'.
    results oriented prolly because i didn't get to showdown. (i did fold)

• DavidTuchman Posts: 786Pro
    snap fold.

Pot is approx $1000 and it's $500 to call. You aren't getting the odds to call. Yeah, he could be overplaying a baby flush, but he has so many more flushes that beat you. On top of that, many passive players only call with 5 high flushes.

think you played it well. Sleep well knowing you were beat
  • daniel9861 Posts: 207Subscriber
    Fold. Also think c/c turn is better than betting.
  • grindbler Posts: 131Member
    just thought i should post a hand;
    if he didn't show me the 34cc after i folded, i prolly wouldn't have. lol.
    still, i like my fold, and good to know the board agrees...
    trivial hand, actually.