Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Flop Top Pair Facing Min-Raise

GusFritschie Posts: 102Subscriber
edited April 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Playing $1/$2 at MD Live. Effective stacks are about $300, villian just sat down and I have no reads. I open UTG for $10 with A J 4 callers, including villian who is on the button.

Flop is J× 9 8 Pot=$40

I lead for $30 and it folds to the button who makes it $60.

What does this usually mean and what is our play?

Comments

• neverlearn2 Posts: 2,838Subscriber
    To me this means he's very strong. He's an unknown plus new to table. Not taking into accout of trying to range him and doing the math which is nearly impossible since we have no reads, a minraise here on this texture is very strong
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,086Subscriber
    I have seen bad players do this often with a single tp type hand when the board is really wet. they think if they min raise it the other players in the hand will fold a draw.. lol.. all what happens is the players who had maybe second pair fold and only the draws or better hands call..

I think he likely has a J too and since you have tptk I am inclined to call him or if you are sure he has done this before you could even min click it back. then look to get it in on a later street as these players almost always bet really big to protect against the threat of the flush.

ww
  • GusFritschie Posts: 102Subscriber
    Thanks for the feedback. My read was the same as Wendy's but I thought he also could be on a flush draw and was trying to get free card on turn. I decided to 3-bet to $125 thinking that I could get value from KJ, QJ and draws. He called, turn was a × and I shoved and he called. River was a K and he wins with set of 8's.

Is this 3-bet awful? If I had just called and turn was blank would you lead or check and evaluate bet his bet sizing?